This is a candle???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
I was looking at soaping videos on YouTube, when I clicked on this by mistake. I don't make candles, but I was fascinated by this process. I never knew anything like this could be done with candles....amazing!
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aMW410-3dg[/ame]

There use to be a shop in Rockport, MA where the candle maker would stand and demonstrate making these all day! It was amazing! Lovely candles! Thanks for the video!

My niece found that video a few weeks ago and posted it to my Facebook page. She was like "Here--I'm sure you can make these!" and I was like Uh....Nooooooo.

:shock:

I think I watched it about 7 times in complete awe.

Oh yes, this type of candle making is quite an art. I have always wanted to try it, but have never had the nerve.:p

I had all intentions of making similar candles for my wedding to my late husband years ago, for our unity candles. I got as far as the 2 tapers, and that was it...lol... These folks have some of the steadiest hands I've ever seen!

OMG that really IS an art! I loved all the details near the top of the candle.
Thanks for posting the video!

Glad you all enjoyed it. I don't know how I've missed this type of candle, but I'm just amazed at the artistry people bring to the crafts that they do. When I first saw them, I thought it was blown glass, they're just so beautiful....and then, when they're lit, and they glow from inside!!!

And Stacy, thanks for the English version, it cleared up some questions I had about what was going on.:)

Last edited:
I have one from a little shop in Florida, from my family's first trip there. It's round and is a jungle-theme, with a tiger figurine added to it. I have it on display in the dining room, because it's awesome.

These candles were very popular in the 80's and 90's. There was a store franchise that was in malls all over the US that made them on site. I am not sure of the name, maybe Wicks and Wax?

ETA: I think it was Wicks 'N Sticks

Last edited:
They have been around forever, I remember seeing those when I was growing up.

Me too. They were all the rage in the 70's and 80's when I was growing up. I don't see those types much anymore except for a place in Gatlinburg, TN that makes them and sell them there. They're simply gorgeous.

They were very popular in the 70's, and in malls in the 80's there were many kiosks in the middle where people would demonstrate the carving of candles.

I have my vats, and carve candles, however, the fancy unity - candles, like the ones she shows do not sell very well at all. The ones that do are the novelty candles.

Here are the type that literally fly off my shelves. If I want any customers to buy these I have to set them up after my shows start otherwise the other vendors snatch them up before anyone else gets a chance to see them. LOL

I also make a "Christmas Tree" carved candle (beware, the pics are not so good) and people like those as well, but they are fragile, and the "branches" easily break off so I do no shipping of these type at all.

Picture 233.jpg

Picture 243.jpg

Picture 109.jpg

These candles were very popular in the 80's and 90's. There was a store franchise that was in malls all over the US that made them on site. I am not sure of the name, maybe Wicks and Wax?

ETA: I think it was Wicks 'N Sticks

Wicks 'n Sticks. Oh my gosh, I used to love that place. A friend and I were talking about that Friday (hippie flashback brought on by a Patchouli convo). They also had mushroom candles with little gnomes and fairies that lived in the mushrooms. They were incredibly detailed. I was sad when they closed down.

The Holland House candles featured on How It's Made are made in Holland, Michigan--about an hour drive from where I grew up. They have an entire Dutch-themed village with a giant windmill you can climb inside. In May, they have the Tulip Festival and in the parade there are people demonstrating traditional dances in traditional costumes--including wooden shoes, which you can also see getting made and buy your own pair.

Most schools within a few hours drive make a field trip there and it is a treasured memory. I was fascinated with those candles until I found out an apprenticeship could involve years rather than days.:shock:

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

They were very popular in the 70's, and in malls in the 80's there were many kiosks in the middle where people would demonstrate the carving of candles.

I have my vats, and carve candles, however, the fancy unity - candles, like the ones she shows do not sell very well at all. The ones that do are the novelty candles.

Here are the type that literally fly off my shelves. If I want any customers to buy these I have to set them up after my shows start otherwise the other vendors snatch them up before anyone else gets a chance to see them. LOL

I also make a "Christmas Tree" carved candle (beware, the pics are not so good) and people like those as well, but they are fragile, and the "branches" easily break off so I do no shipping of these type at all.

That under-the-sea themed one is GORGEOUS and I can understand why it flies off your shelves--I want it! lol

That under-the-sea themed one is GORGEOUS and I can understand why it flies off your shelves--I want it! lol

Thank you. They are fun to make, but I dont' do them very often. I try to make anywhere from 15-20 at a time when I do make them though, because of the time and effort it takes to get the vats/colors ready. That alone takes up to 12 hours. The carving itself - each one after dipping, only takes about 5-10 minutes tops.

Back