This forum is going to get a lot of activity soon...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audrey Chung

Reaction score
A very popular mainstream YouTuber, Safiya Nygaard, with nearly 8M subscribers just released a video of her attempting to follow a soap queen cp tutorial. I have a feeling there’s going be a big influx of interest in soaping especially from young people in the next month as a result. I’m very worried because she glossed over some major safety points that could result in burns or people sticking regular bar soap in the microwave. Here’s the link if you’re interested in watching:

Last edited:
I really like Safiya's videos. She is hilarious. And dorky and loveable. I'm proud of her for sticking with it and making so many batches. And she said she enjoyed it too. She may be a future soapmaker.

I think it's a marvelous video. I like how she showed all of the journey, from research, watching videos, ordering supplies, failed attempts, re-ordering, repeated attempts and held onto that great sense of humor about the hard parts of the learning process. She did a really good job on this video, IMO.

Granted she's following bad advice by using glass, but as long as Anne-Marie and other you-tubers keep doing it, so are the new people. Until a few high-visibility soap makers on youtube start actually posting youtube videos of exploding pyrex or the damaged glass containers that lye has etched, the newcomers aren't going to realize how dangerous glass and lye are together.

Even her plug for WIX was endearing. Co-incidentally, I just started setting up a blog on WIX a few days ago. Not much progress, though because other things keep coming along to take up my time. I may get it done soon, I hope, as I want to use it before too long.

Other than her understandably, albeit mistakenly, referring to lye as a 'poison' in a couple of places (which it isn't- it's a corrosive- 2 different things), innocently/unknowingly following Anne Marie's bad example of mixing in glass and stick-blending at an angle while pouring lye, which made me wish I could reach through the screen to take things into my own hands, lol, I must say she actually did pretty darn good for her first few times out.

I wonder if she's hooked now! :D

IrishLass :)

I agree that she did an excellent job for her first attempt and I’m glad she tried multiple times. I love her content; so fun! I’m just worried because there’s so many young kids who are going to view this and even though she actually did a pretty good job covering safety there’s still some stuff that she left out as a result of simply lack of time and experience. Like the whole no lye in glass, normal bar isn’t melt and pour, lye isn’t just dangerous, it will burn you, etc. Another thing I’m wondering is: there’s a sort of trend to rip off Saf’s video ideas on YouTube so I wonder if we’ll see a lot more mainstream youtubers try this... hoping for good research and no injuries!

I watched this last night. She did make it clear that she researched lye safety and wrote down all the instructions, worse safety gear etc,. There were a few things she said I cringed at but all in all I think she showed a good example of the trial and error that is required and then said she wanted to just buy sap from someone lol

I really like Safiya's videos. She is hilarious. And dorky and loveable. I'm proud of her for sticking with it and making so many batches. And she said she enjoyed it too. She may be a future soapmaker.
I warned her it was a rabbit hole, it will be fun to see if she gets hooked in. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Really enjoyed it! My daughter just sent me a link before I logged on here. She did a pretty good job - not only making it but presenting at the same time too!

I thought it was fine, other than the glass use and the starting the stick blender mid pour, the rest its pretty much experience. Yes, i did cringed at a couple of things, like too much stick blending, but for a first (couple) of attempts she didnt do bad.

That was hugely entertaining! So many of her boo boo's were the same things I did when 1st starting - like over mixing. I was so worried about false trace I took everything to medium. I can't fault her for using pyrex or stick blending at an angle because, hey, she was following the Soap Queen after all, lol. Hopefully if she continues on making soap she learns the things she needs to correct. I love she calls herself the Soap Peasant at the end. Maybe the time, effort and cost it took her to get soap bars will encourage her to actually use them!

Her video on melting together every B&B candle is pretty funny too. (Trying to determine what scents are most prominent.)

Janelle

Back