This evening's effort

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
32 bars of Nag Champa from the now defunct Missy's Candles. Lightened the pot color with TD and then ITP'd with bright orange mica from Candora Soap and Soap Supplies. Can't wait to cut it!

Attachments

• IMG_3880.JPG
    IMG_3880.JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3881.JPG
    IMG_3881.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 54
32 bars of Nag Champa from the now defunct Missy's Candles. Lightened the pot color with TD and then ITP'd with bright orange mica from Candora Soap and Soap Supplies. Can't wait to cut it!
Wow! How big is your mixing bowl? How much does it weigh when full before the pour??? Btw-love the colors. 😊

Hi. Interesting mold. Is that a miter saw on the left. You are using as one end of your mold?? No leakage?? Way cool.
Yes, A mitre saw. I just move it to the number of bars I want to make. With no saw, I can make 40. With the saw, it is scalable in multiples of 4 all the way down to just 4 bars. No leaks - the freezer paper seals it all up pretty tight.

Wow! How big is your mixing bowl? How much does it weigh when full before the pour??? Btw-love the colors. 😊
I never measured the pot but it is huge. We have 2 of them - the second one is used for corn roasts we occasionally host. The batter weight on this one is 12.7 pounds. It could easily hold twice that, though my stick blender might drown. I have a giant sized mold that I no longer use. The pot that goes with that one is enameled stainless steel and big enough to take a bath in. 🤣

From what you are describing, it sounds like it is probably 'alien brains' (search for threads and pictures). This is caused by overheating. I have, rarely but more than once, had this happen when I spray the top of the soap with alcohol. This is a link to a post I made about that.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/alien-brain.64939/#post-663246

Yes, I see... And I did spray with alcohol
I still think it is overheating. When it happened after I sprayed with alcohol, it was within minutes. I think your soap was still looking okay after spraying. I don't spray my soaps any more because I didn't find it effective for eliminating ash, but many people do without any problems. Here is another link with a picture of an extreme example of alien brains. Most of the time it isn't that wild.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/dodged-a-bullet.64869/#post-662547

Back