This Bothers Me

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, yep she did pour the oils into the lye. Just watched it again. She also used a liquid measuring cup for dry lye crystals to make it even worse. There were also a bunch of undissolved lye crystals on the side of her mixing bowl. Oy yoy yoy.

Sure am glad the soap police were not around when I first made soap 30+ years ago, I used no protective gear, dumped a jar of lye in tap water, dumped whatever fats I had handy from butchering and it turned out fine. Now I use oils and more refined lyes but back then we had Mother Earth News and the video is pretty much how we made soap then, measuring cups and all. I stirred for hours with a wooden spoon to get trace. Don't be so quick to criticize, the old ways still work even though there have been improvements to the process. I do not see what the fuss is about.

Sure am glad the soap police were not around when I first made soap 30+ years ago, I used no protective gear, dumped a jar of lye in tap water, dumped whatever fats I had handy from butchering and it turned out fine. Now I use oils and more refined lyes but back then we had Mother Earth News and the video is pretty much how we made soap then, measuring cups and all. I stirred for hours with a wooden spoon to get trace. Don't be so quick to criticize, the old ways still work even though there have been improvements to the process. I do not see what the fuss is about.

I concur...this is not a video from a "soapmaker" this is a video from a "homesteader". That being said, she has a good product for her family to wash with. One of the above posters stated that he/she didn't see what was wrong with it...neither did I. But then again, I am a "newbie"...as most of you would call me. Oh...too much lye...thank you all...Wouldn't that have made her final product crumbly? Visually, it seems okay to me. Beside the fact that she is using a mixer instead of a blender...measuring fats by volume was what people used to do...heck...probably not by a cup...but by a "handful"...or..."it's about this much"(eyeballing it) BTW...check out her other videos...not another one about soap....It's all about homesteading...and the recipes look fabulous!!
My issue is that she is not a soapmaker...nor does she profess to be one. Just making soap to get by.

Oh forgot to say..."HELL YEAH!"...that's why I quoted it in the first place...you go girl!!!

I haven't watched the video yet, but I do know of people who make soap in as old-fashioned a way as possible, for historic reenactments and one person said the soap was absolutely horrible. Totally greasy and she hates to go because her skin is in dreadful shape by the time it's over. Some people remember grandma's soap as being intensely harsh because it was eyeballed when made. Yes, at least she has some measurements going but no one who makes soap ever wants to see a handmade soap that could be hurtful to someone. With undissolved lye crystals on the side on a mixing bowl, it could be dangerous to someone.

It may be that this woman is going by a homesteader's guide, but a few things are worth researching and she clearly has access to the internet.

I can't fault her for not using gloves when she handles her lye water. I don't either. I don't wear gloves at all, ever, during soap making. I've gotten a few small burns here and there but I know what to expect. Telling people about the safety measures, like the shield while using a blender, is better than nothing but not nearly as good as DOING it as well as saying it. If other homesteaders are watching and following suit, she'd be at her best if she made her soap as carefully as possible.

I'm not the tightest person re: saftey during soap-making when I do it myself, so I get what people are saying. I have to admit that if I were making a video for others, I would be way more anal on camera than I would be on my own though.

The last thing I'm gonna say:

If she can advocate for the 'old ways' but still make concessions for a Kitchenaid Mixer, I think maybe she should make some concessions for general safety. That's the point being raised here.

;) It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

If you know the safety procedures, choose to ignore them and still want to go for it; wonderful.
Involving a lot of other people in it, is taking it a step further.

Personally, I never trust the advice of anyone with ugly tattoos.
Don't get me wrong...I love tats and have many of my own, but I sure wouldn't sport those beasts to the world via youtube! That alone makes me question her judgement, but that's just me ;)

What is wrong with using a Pyrex for measuring dry lye? I've done it for the last 5 years and never had a problem

Personally, I never trust the advice of anyone with ugly tattoos.
Don't get me wrong...I love tats and have many of my own, but I sure wouldn't sport those beasts to the world via youtube! That alone makes me question her judgement, but that's just me ;)

This just so wrong.. Judge mental and ignorant. And throwing it out there for everyone here is just as bad as her throwing bad advice to the masses.

Maybe we should also question her because she is fat? Because certainly that makes a difference in how she makes soap.

Now I feel sick.. I need a break from here.
Btw - I have tats. Many of them. I'm an crunchy AP parent, Wahm, co sleeping, extend breastfeed, fighter of rights, etc mama. Are you going to judge me if I make a video with my tats and question my soaps?
Maybe if you don't deem them 'ugly' its ok? Good gracious.

Last edited:
This just so wrong.. Judge mental and ignorant. And throwing it out there for everyone here is just as bad as her throwing bad advice to the masses.

Maybe we should also question her because she is fat? Because certainly that makes a difference in how she makes soap.

Now I feel sick.. I need a break from here.

Agreed =/ How she looks physically doesn't matter. Tattoos have literally nothing to do with skill as a soapmaker.

You'd have to know the reason for the eyepatch. If she dumped lye in her eye and made videos with shifty safety recommendations, I could see questioning it. My sister-in-law wears an eyepatch sometimes because she took a branch to the eye and her eye is ruined. If she made soap and didn't explain her eyepatch, would you assume she was a soap-making idiot?

And she does rock her eyepatch!

Last edited:
I must admit the mixer freaked me out a little. Im not sure what all the fuss is about though. Its just another do as i say not as i do thing-just like every childs frustrating parent. She does it her way and she clearly and responsibly posts warnings. She may have missed some things, but I think after the warnings or just generally, it comes down to personal responsibility. Just because i see someone jump off a bridge with what looks like a huge rubber band tied to their waist doesnt mean i can go to the store and buy something that looks like a huge rubber band, tie it to my waist and jump off a bridge... and if i do, whatever happens is my own damned fault.

My sincere apologies for offending anyone.
My personal opinions may indeed be superficial and have nothing to do with this woman's ability to make soap.
But if you're posting videos of yourself, people are going to have a first impression...good or bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back