Third Batch HP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Gregory

Reaction score
Tried to get fancy and use aloe vera liquid [drinkable] as the water substitute plus small amounts of hemp oil and castor oil with the majority ingredients lard and coconut oil .

Freaked me out when after cooking for 45 minutes there was oil on the top. Mulched it all back together with the stick blender.

We'll see what happens. Headed straight for SMF for advice and it appears, not only am I over my skis in trying new things and be hip using the hemp oil, but that my soaping temp was too high in the crock pot [approx 186-188]. Have never used hemp oil before.

I had also used 1 Tbs ea of salt [non iodized] and sugar for hardness and suds.

It's molded up nicely. I used lemon eucalyptus fragrance [ like Zote ] and the house smells great . Seems to be setting up okay.

Lessons learned. Not ready for experimentation yet. I will go back to a nice standard recipe and stay there for awhile. A nice beige sandalwood scented three ingredient vegan no nonsense bar of soap.

Had to tell y'all. It may actually turn out okay.

Tried to get fancy and use aloe vera liquid [drinkable] as the water substitute plus small amounts of hemp oil and castor oil with the majority ingredients lard and coconut oil .

Freaked me out when after cooking for 45 minutes there was oil on the top. Mulched it all back together with the stick blender.

We'll see what happens. Headed straight for SMF for advice and it appears, not only am I over my skis in trying new things and be hip using the hemp oil, but that my soaping temp was too high in the crock pot [approx 186-188]. Have never used hemp oil before.

I had also used 1 Tbs ea of salt [non iodized] and sugar for hardness and suds.

Good save then! Show us after cutting. We like soap pics hehehe

Also, the easiest and most cost-effective way to experiment is to HP in the smallest possible batch, and change one thing at a time. That way, less wastage, and you can easily figure out what caused whatever issue you had.

I soap pretty high as well, but with a lot of stirring. I turn the cooker off before full gel, it'll continue while I add the rest of the goodies. I usually soap between 15-20mins though (not including prep and molding, of course), I haven't soaped past 30mins since my very first batches.

Several here HP, me being one of em and while I'm no expert, we'd gladly share tips we've learned along the way. Just holler ;)

Last edited:
I love HP and I am pretty new and experimenting myself. I haven't gotten into hemp or the more expensive oils yet for soap (use them for my body butters and scrubs) . I will suggest that you use the hemp as your superfat after the cook, get that bang for your buck.

I have a notebook filled with observations on each batch, what I like, didn't like, FO used etc. I have tried different oils and butters and lye concentrations. I found that I love my lard recipe and the combo I call VHP 3 less OO.

Mixed up some coffee lye last night to make a lovely lard latte today!

I love HP and I am pretty new and experimenting myself. I haven't gotten into hemp or the more expensive oils yet for soap (use them for my body butters and scrubs) . I will suggest that you use the hemp as your superfat after the cook, get that bang for your buck.

I have a notebook filled with observations on each batch, what I like, didn't like, FO used etc. I have tried different oils and butters and lye concentrations. I found that I love my lard recipe and the combo I call VHP 3 less OO.

Mixed up some coffee lye last night to make a lovely lard latte today!

I used coffee to mix with lye last week in my HP soap. I also added finely ground oatmeal, espresso grind coffee and unsweetened cocoa powder. I also added peppermint EO and orange EO after the soap gelled. I call it Irish Spanish Mocha.

I have made hot processed soap on lower temperatures. That oily look can happen sometimes. Just stir you HP. I find that using some plastic wrap over my crockpot it helpful if I don't want to deal with soapy skin.

I imagine it will be fine. Some oil separation during the different stages is normal and I just stir it back in. I also cook my soap at high temps (~200F) with a lot of stirring. Usually, my cook takes 10-15 minutes depending on how much stirring I feel like doing :)

More stirring and more heat means faster reaction time. Usually at the high heats (and lots of stirring), you have an expansion of some sort. It can be more or less violent depending on the recipe and temperature. Just don't go too far from the pot if you're cooking on high heat as you don't want it to boil over. You just need to stir it down once it starts the expansion.

Good save then! Show us after cutting. We like soap pics hehehe

Also, the easiest and most cost-effective way to experiment is to HP in the smallest possible batch, and change one thing at a time. That way, less wastage, and you can easily figure out what caused whatever issue you had.

I soap pretty high as well, but with a lot of stirring. I turn the cooker off before full gel, it'll continue while I add the rest of the goodies. I usually soap between 15-20mins though (not including prep and molding, of course), I haven't soaped past 30mins since my very first batches.

Several here HP, me being one of em and while I'm no expert, we'd gladly share tips we've learned along the way. Just holler ;)
Excellent suggestions. Thank you. I will take some pictures.

Only doing 2 lb batches at the moment.

I've been wondering if I have been cooking too long. The "batter" seems sort of "dry" when I glop it in to the mold

I have made hot processed soap on lower temperatures. That oily look can happen sometimes. Just stir you HP. I find that using some plastic wrap over my crockpot it helpful if I don't want to deal with soapy skin.
I wondered if that was the hemp and castor oils separating and stirring it made it go away thankfully.

Will use the plastic wrap. Thank you

I imagine it will be fine. Some oil separation during the different stages is normal and I just stir it back in. I also cook my soap at high temps (~200F) with a lot of stirring. Usually, my cook takes 10-15 minutes depending on how much stirring I feel like doing :)

More stirring and more heat means faster reaction time. Usually at the high heats (and lots of stirring), you have an expansion of some sort. It can be more or less violent depending on the recipe and temperature. Just don't go too far from the pot if you're cooking on high heat as you don't want it to boil over. You just need to stir it down once it starts the expansion.
Thank you. Yes, I set the timer for on 10 minute intervals to check for volcano action and 45 min on the oven timer. Then add another five after stirring.

Too much time ? I also overcook meat, so there may be a long embedded habit here !

Many thanks to you all.

The soap came out fine, but soft. It's been in front of a fan all night and seems to be quite firm as of now.

I will try to get pictures with my phone [not used to using it for that purpose] as my camera has died [six pixel.... how old could THAT be ?].

Do y'all think I used too much sugar and salt [1 TBLS ea.] ?

Excellent suggestions. Thank you. I will take some pictures.

Only doing 2 lb batches at the moment.

I've been wondering if I have been cooking too long. The "batter" seems sort of "dry" when I glop it in to the mold
Maybe? Even when it's gloppy it shouldn't be dry... Actually, I find perfectly cooked "regular" HP soap (not purposely fluid) has a very unique texture that I can't describe well, while it's in the pot. It's like a mix of rubbery yet soft but not sticky yet still holds together if you make a tiny ball lol.

My first post here was overcooked HP soap. I kept waiting for all the stages I read about n never got em lol Over the last year I've learned that you won't always get said stages and most recipes don't need more than 30mins tops.

I have some more tips here if you're interested. Just some observations I thought was good to share.

Do y'all think I used too much sugar and salt [1 TBLS ea.] ?
Most use both salt n sugar at 1tsp per pound of oil but you can get away with a little more than that. Some just wing it. I do sometimes lol

Some sites say 1 tsp PPO others say 1 Tbsp PPO. I usually add 1 Tbsp of salt and 2 Tbsp of sugar for a 2lb batch.

I wondered if that was the hemp and castor oils separating and stirring it made it go away thankfully.

Will use the plastic wrap. Thank you

One thing to consider, everyone's slowcooker is different so some people may be fine using high while others should not chance it. I used low because I don't like my mixtures going beyond a certain temperature frame. Also, if you try the plastic wrap it will allot you a more fluid batter but you still have to work fast if you want to color. Sodium Lactate is said to help (yogurt as well) but I'm not sure how well it does.

One thing to consider, everyone's slowcooker is different so some people may be fine using high while others should not chance it. I used low because I don't like my mixtures going beyond a certain temperature frame. Also, if you try the plastic wrap it will allot you a more fluid batter but you still have to work fast if you want to color. Sodium Lactate is said to help (yogurt as well) but I'm not sure how well it does.

I use both coconut milk and yogurt after the cook, which does make the batter more fluid until you add the essential oils. I am going to try to use the plastic wrap method to see if I can achieve a more fluid product.

Maybe? Even when it's gloppy it shouldn't be dry... Actually, I find perfectly cooked "regular" HP soap (not purposely fluid) has a very unique texture that I can't describe well, while it's in the pot. It's like a mix of rubbery yet soft but not sticky yet still holds together if you make a tiny ball lol.

My first post here was overcooked HP soap. I kept waiting for all the stages I read about n never got em lol Over the last year I've learned that you won't always get said stages and most recipes don't need more than 30mins tops.

I have some more tips here if you're interested. Just some observations I thought was good to share.

Most use both salt n sugar at 1tsp per pound of oil but you can get away with a little more than that. Some just wing it. I do sometimes lol
Well, I can't thank you enough for that. I keep waiting for it to fold in on itself like the pictures, but it's just the edges.

Yes, it sets fast on the edges of the mold, even while I'm filling it. Tsp it is from now on.

Half hour. I'm on it now.

Checking your tip link as well.

Another valuable tip. Perhaps just covering then turning the slow cooker off. It was on low but I had melted the lard first on the stove and added the other oils in the warming crock pot.

Some sites say 1 tsp PPO others say 1 Tbsp PPO. I usually add 1 Tbsp of salt and 2 Tbsp of sugar for a 2lb batch.
I'll try that and stick to just doing aloe vera for the liquid before trying to get cute with the recipes.

I actually use sugar (sorbitol in my case) and salt (sodium lactate - 60%) at around 4-5% of my total oils each. So, I use considerably more than 1 tsp ppo (of sugar at least... haven't run the numbers on the sodium lactate). You might want to experiment with it and decide yourself. People doing cold process will typically limit the sugar because too much can give them issues. Many of the comments you read about it if you do some searching will be from people doing cold process. We don't have that problem with hot process. I'd say play around with it and see what you like :)

Back