Thinnest slice from a wire cutting device/tool?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueRose

Reaction score
Trying to see if it is possible to make 1/4 - 3/8" bars/rounds for small sizes. I can't seem to find any multiwire cutters that will cut that thin and some don't list that statistic.

A long bar, with proper dimensions, could be shaved down on a "clothesline" wire cutter, with the distance relative to the base where the soap rests. Slid the soap through and then restack each piece as it was before so they align perfectly. From then the length or height could be cut into proper dimensions.

To get a bar that is 65mm x 40mm x 9mm:
Properties of loaf:
320mm long (40mm x 8 )
65mm high (length of soap)
90mm wide (9mm x 10)

Use the cutter to shave 9mm thick slices until loaf is gone. Re-stack and place in normal log wire/"cheese" cutter and cut every 40mm - This will give 80 bars of the dimensions above in red.

As for cutting a round log into thin slices, Use the same clothesline cutter above and just repeat until log is gone - or use the standard cheese slicer for individual cuts. Is there any other way to do this without a multi wire cutter capable of cutting to the width needed?

Last edited:
A wire cheese cutter or a single arm wire cutter will cut your soap any with you want. I'm not sure if you are asking a question or telling how to do it though. Color me confused.

I guess I should have made it clearer. I haven't found any cutters capable of thin slices other than a single wire cutter and wanted to know if any were made that allowed for this.

I described the only process I could imagine that didn't use a close spaced multi-wire cutter.

I guess I should have made it clearer. I haven't found any cutters capable of thin slices other than a single wire cutter and wanted to know if any were made that allowed for this.

I described the only process I could imagine that didn't use a close spaced multi-wire cutter.

You may be able to have one specially made. Send Bud on Etsy a message and ask if it's possible. Never know.

If you dont mind my asking, what are you trying to do? Is there a reason to your inquiring?

Back