Think I got a crap scale...

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Lindy Lou

Reaction score
I recently received a new scale from amazon. I am budgeting so I tried to find something a bit cheaper, and this one had a lot of good reviews.. Well, you get what you pay for sometimes too, huh? I paid under 15 bucks and when making my batch last night, I noticed that weighing liquids was quite an issue. Instead of the numbers evenly increasing, they would jump way up too quickly, no matter how slowly I poured. It seemed better when weighing the lye, though. I also tested it with putting random objects on it.. Mostly, that was okay too, but sometimes it would differ some. According to what I could manage in weighing my oils, my numbers went slightly over the called for amount, but very little. If anything, I would think the superfat would just be a touch higher, no problem.. I do hope it passes the zap test once I unmold in a day or two, it's still kinda soft. I cannot remember the name of my other scale that I used for years, or I would buy another one. I did a search here for scales and found just a few. but was hoping to pay under 40 bucks. Is there a good one out there that is not too spendy? Thanks. Attached is a pic of the one I have, I would steer cleer..

Attachments

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the one I have - I'm delighted with it both in terms of price and quality:

Misschief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently received a new scale from amazon. I am budgeting so I tried to find something a bit cheaper, and this one had a lot of good reviews.. Well, you get what you pay for sometimes too, huh? I paid under 15 bucks and when making my batch last night, I noticed that weighing liquids was quite an issue. Instead of the numbers evenly increasing, they would jump way up too quickly, no matter how slowly I poured. It seemed better when weighing the lye, though. I also tested it with putting random objects on it.. Mostly, that was okay too, but sometimes it would differ some. According to what I could manage in weighing my oils, my numbers went slightly over the called for amount, but very little. If anything, I would think the superfat would just be a touch higher, no problem.. I do hope it passes the zap test once I unmold in a day or two, it's still kinda soft. I cannot remember the name of my other scale that I used for years, or I would buy another one. I did a search here for scales and found just a few. but was hoping to pay under 40 bucks. Is there a good one out there that is not too spendy? Thanks. Attached is a pic of the one I have, I would steer cleer..
I have one similar to that one. It's recommended by our local college's culinary program for their students and I didn't really have an issue with it but I wanted something a little more dependable (especially when the batteries go) so I invested in a KD8000. I also have a couple of smaller scales, one that goes to tenths of a gram and one that goes to .001 gm. I like to make mini sample batches of face and body creams so the really sensitive one comes in very handy.

Lindy Lou

Reaction score
This is the one I have - I'm delighted with it both in terms of price and quality:
Thank you!

Lindy Lou

Reaction score
I have one similar to that one. It's recommended by our local college's culinary program for their students and I didn't really have an issue with it but I wanted something a little more dependable (especially when the batteries go) so I invested in a KD8000. I also have a couple of smaller scales, one that goes to tenths of a gram and one that goes to .001 gm. I like to make mini sample batches of face and body creams so the really sensitive one comes in very handy.
Thank you!

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can return it' maybe consider that. Most important tool is our scale IMHO' We gotta be able to relay on it w/ 100% accuracy or as close as possible' if your off a couple of ounces your entire batch could be ruined.
I have the KD-7000 I like that I can plug it in the wall' & turn off auto shutoff. Its a good little scale. & I have a Jewelry Scale for smaller amounts precise weights.

Last edited:

IslandSoap

Reaction score
If you can return it' maybe consider that. Most important tool is our scale IMHO' We gotta be able to relay on it w/ 100% accuracy or as close as possible' if your off a couple of ounces your entire batch could be ruined.
I have the KD-7000 I like that I can plug it in the wall' & turn off auto shutoff. Its a good little scale. & I have a Jewelry Scale for smaller amounts precise weights.
I bought the KD-7000 recently and love it.

Vicki C

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would second having one that has an AC adapter, it’s great not having to worry about the auto shutoff. I own this one plus a small jewelers scale for 0.01 g measurements. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/av...ct-digital-portion-control-scale/334PC10.html

Latest posts