Think I Broke It :(

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laelu

Reaction score
Ok today I tried my very first batch..... hmmm, didn't go so well :(

Just plain Castile, shouldn't be too hard...

Olive Oil 700g
Palm Oil 150g
Coconut Oil 150g
Water 300g
Lye 136g

Mixed everything around the 100' mark for an hour (with a wooden spoon, ok I know :( ) Think it was trace... why, 5 hrs later does it still look like a try of oil???

*cry*

Hi -

I think it's likely that you didn't reach trace or your scale is off. If your scale is correct - dump the batch back into the pot and stir. Using a spoon will take forever to get a trace.

OR --

If your sure your lye is completely incorporated into the mix - you could just let it set. It could take a week for recipes high in Olive Oil and no water discount to setup.

Thanks Marr :)

i checked it again this morning when I woke up (about 18 hrs later) ... its solidified!!! :D *woohoo* :D Not totally but when you poke the top it leaves a little dint.. will leave it there for another day or two.

Going to try another one now... with stick blender!!!! :wink:

glad it worked out for you!! The way i see it everything is a learning experience, i kind of want one of my batches to go screwy on me (I havent made many so far...only 2 due to lack of funds) ...then i can play disaster control :twisted: :D

Back