Things to do in New York!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVivian

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm headed to New York today for a week. I'm taking my daughter for her 16th birthday and my 40th (eek) both in October. I thought I'd ask some east coasters about off the beaten path stuff to do. We're staying in mid town and I have been before, but this is my daughters first time and she has no interest in doing the typical tourist stuff. She wants to venture out to some not so common places so any advice on cool things to do, see, and eat would be greatly appreciated! Of course I'd love to know about any specialty soap places as well :)

my favorite inexpensive ethnic restaurant is called Sapporo...7th Avenue and 49th heading east on 49th...south side of the block...gyoza to die for but a traditional Japanese noodle bar...a little hot sake for this time of year..
As a horticulturist the creme de la creme these days is the Highline..much beloved elevated railroad tracks turned into a garden...touristy for sure but for good reason...

my favorite inexpensive ethnic restaurant is called Sapporo...7th Avenue and 49th heading east on 49th...south side of the block...gyoza to die for but a traditional Japanese noodle bar...a little hot sake for this time of year..

As a horticulturist the creme de la creme these days is the Highline..much beloved elevated railroad tracks turned into a garden...touristy for sure but for good reason...

This is awesome thank you! I'll put these on the list. I love little eateries and when I'm out of town, I make it a point never to eat or drink at a place I could eat at,at home. Sounds perfect!

when we go into NYC, we love getting coffee at Culture Espresso. We normally go to the one on 38th, between 6th & 7th. It's almost of the corner of 38th & 6th.

Another fun thing we try to do with everyone is take the Ferry to Station Island and then turn around and come back. It takes you right by The Statue of Liberty, but it might be a little chilly this time of year.

If you do the Highline, Blue Bottle Coffee has a set up there too. (I might have a problem with coffee) If you guys are 'foodies' Chelsea Market is always an adventure.

The New York Public Library in Bryant Park is always impressive.

Stand in line at TKTS and see a show!!! My best friend treated me to Hedwig and the Angry Inch last year, with Michael C. Hall, (Dexter), and it was so good, I'm still smiling. :D We waited outside the stage door afterwards and got to meet Lena Hall, she's gorgeous!

hedwig.jpg

lena.jpg

Two things you have to eat in NY...pizza and bagels...lots of places to get them, some better than others but ALL better than anywhere outside of NY.
My vote for a broadway show is Wicked! It may actually be off broadway now and much cheaper for tickets. Any of the Disney shows...Lion King, Beauty and the Beast if they are around are wonderful.
The New School for Culinary Arts is a great way to get a big bucks meal without the big bucks price...granted it's not dirt cheap but still a good value. 131 W. 23rd street...they may have classes that fit your schedule...some during the day, some at night. Some one or two long, others weeks or months. Depending on the day, you may need reservations for a dinner meal. If you want to try something different, I'm sure the Hampton Jitney has wine tours out by me on Long Island...it's harvest time here for wine and you can help harvest grapes if you so desire...

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! We went to the High Line and Chelsea Market today. It was magnificent!!! I'm so glad I found out about it! I just so happened to get the blue bottle coffee (which I have in LA, but I love it so much I broke the rule.. Plus it was on a raised train track so.. ) Tonight I'm going to take my 13 year old to see Matilda while my husband takes my older daughter to a concert. We also strolled Greenwich village, and SoHo. Yesterday we went to Brooklyn (Williamsburg) which my daughters loved better than the city by far. Here are some pictures:

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1443911912.787627.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1443912062.965362.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1443912077.848081.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1443912096.183775.jpg

Keep the suggestions coming! We're here till Tuesday night :)

Love the pictures, have a wonderful time! It's been chilly and rainy, but the weather is supposed to get really nice in a day or two. Street vendors in the city have great food too. Enjoy! And take lots of pics. :D

Awe, I just now saw this. I would have suggested trying a doughnut from Dough. They're great, especially when you get them just out of the oven. To bad you two can't tour the Fingerlakes' wine trails too yet. Some of the best wines from NY are in the Fingerlake areas.

Latest posts

Back