Thickening Apple Cider Vinegar to make into body wash please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried it yesterday for my shower using a muslin bag. Mixed together colloidal oatmeal, herbs and ACV in a ramekin, spooned it into the bag, pulled the ties snug and went off to scrub!

I didn't use any soap in the shower or moisturizer afterwards and my skin felt soft and clean. Yesterday was around 92 degrees out and I have an amazing lack of BO the next day. lol

Thanks again for your thread. It took a bit of prep work, but I think I've found my preferred way to shower! :)

Why not put the ACV in a spray bottle. I use ACV mixed with water for a hair rinse and sprayed some on my body the other day and it was quite refreshing.

Re the eczema, my 4 year old son suffers from it and I can't use any kind of soap on his body at all, not even my mild olive oil soap. We wash him with a fatty ointment called Epizone E. That keeps his skin nice and moisturised and my husband (he baths the kids) said his hands and feet have never been so soft!

(Alabama49 ... colloidal oatmeal is very finely-ground oatmeal that can be used to soothe the skin.)

Just a note here, just to share ... awhile back, I mixed some polysorbate 20 (which I have now decided not to use), with a green apple scent and added some ACV ... and it worked. I have some green apple scented ACV almost a year later and all is still looking and smelling okay ... the ACV is masked a bit by the green apple scent.

Kathy

I'm not sure about the soap flakes, I think that would make a nast snot-like consistency. As for the soap allergy, that would matter what ingredient(s) you're allergic to.

If you have dry skin, you need something with a higher ph than apple cider vinegar, which if I rememer correctly has a ph of about 4.5.
If you don't have dry skin, it should be okay.

I know that salt is commonly used to thicken body washes and salt doesn't react with vinegar, so it might work.

I may be mistaken, but the reason salt thickens liquid soap is because it gives it some properties like NaOH and thus crystalizes some of the soap on a microscopic level and that is what makes it thicker. Vinegar is an acid and I know if you put soap in vinegar it actually reverse saponifies the soap and turns it back into a disgusting oily mess. I wanted to thicken Vinegar to make a gel to use as a way to remove calcium/lime deposits on faucets and showers but couldn't find a way to do it except mixing some with cornstarch.

You know what I'm suddenly thinking, that I could have just mixed it with some liquid castile soap and got a nice lathering body wash. What's your thoughts. (I don't know what soap or what in soap I am allergic to, but I get a fire like itch from ANY commercial soap or body wash that does not say PH Balanced on the label, be really good to know why!) At this stage trying the castile soap out might have to wait until next month lol. Although there's lots of that on ebay if I do buy some. Actually I just red the spiel about some castile goats milk soap and it says: "Unlike many soap subsitutes on the market, based on chemicals and detergents, our soaps are non allergenic, (perfect for people that are chemically sensitive), and 100% biodegradable and is suitable to use as a shampoo or hand and body wash" It's going to cost me about $30.00 with shipping though. Incidentally do you think it will mix with the ACV?

again, correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe vegetable based soap has a ph of around 8.5-9.5 which is a long way from a skin neutral ph of about 5.5. If you lower the ph of soap lower than 8 (like using citric acid) doesn't it ruin the soap? It seems to me that if you are having a bad itch form commercial products there is an ingredient that you are allergic to. Remember, nearly all commercially available products ARE NOT SOAP. Even if they say "hand soap" etc on things, look at the ingredients. unless it says "saponified XX oil" or something it is not soap, but rather foaming ingredients that make a "soap like" feel. Sodium Laurel Sulfate is a great example. Sodium coco sulfate is a greener alternative being used these days.

$30.00 for castile soap? i hope it's a gallon! that's expensive here in the USA. You can get dr bronners almost anywhere for about $16 at 32ounces.

again, correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe vegetable based soap has a ph of around 8.5-9.5 which is a long way from a skin neutral ph of about 5.5. If you lower the ph of soap lower than 8 (like using citric acid) doesn't it ruin the soap? It seems to me that if you are having a bad itch form commercial products there is an ingredient that you are allergic to. Remember, nearly all commercially available products ARE NOT SOAP. Even if they say "hand soap" etc on things, look at the ingredients. unless it says "saponified XX oil" or something it is not soap, but rather foaming ingredients that make a "soap like" feel. Sodium Laurel Sulfate is a great example. Sodium coco sulfate is a greener alternative being used these days.

$30.00 for castile soap? i hope it's a gallon! that's expensive here in the USA. You can get dr bronners almost anywhere for about $16 at 32ounces.

You are correct, you get slime with zero bubbles. Looks like" the blob " in a bottle

Latest posts

Back