Thickening agents for liquid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deshandd

Reaction score
Thickening agents for liquid soap?

Hello,

I have been trying to make a dish washing liquid for a long time, my mixture comes out fine but it does not have the required thickness.

I add SLES, Cocomide DEA and use Sodium chloride(Salt) as a thickener. But its not enough.

I know adding more SLES will thicken my liquid, but its too costly here. Is there any cost effective, alternative way to thicken my liquid soap? Please don't mention any branded items guys

It would be of great help, because I've been struggling to thicken this mixture for a long time now.

Thanks guys.

Cheers.

Last edited:
If the dish washing liquid soap works well, why not just use it as is? I put mine in a pump bottle and just squirt onto a dish cloth as needed. Or, if there is a pot or pan that is super bad, I squirt it directly into there, add a bit of water, and let it soak while I wash the other dishes.

I prefer using the undiluted paste, though. A little dab on the cloth will last a whole load of dishes, usually. What I do not do is squirt the soap into a sink full of water. The bubbles just go away too fast.

I like Crothix liquid. Here is a video with thickener comparisons:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM_zR42bOUA[/ame]

If the dish washing liquid soap works well, why not just use it as is? I put mine in a pump bottle and just squirt onto a dish cloth as needed. Or, if there is a pot or pan that is super bad, I squirt it directly into there, add a bit of water, and let it soak while I wash the other dishes.

I prefer using the undiluted paste, though. A little dab on the cloth will last a whole load of dishes, usually. What I do not do is squirt the soap into a sink full of water. The bubbles just go away too fast.

i get you, i too dont like undiluted liquid. Actually the dish wash i make is fine to my personal usage. But i am trying to start a small business and the other available dish wash products in the market are very thick and cheap surprisingly. So i feel like i am missing a thickener. Any cost effective solution to thicken my product will help me immensely. Anyway thank you for ur reply :)

The INCI name for Crothix liquid is PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate (and) Aqua (and) PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides

This is an international forum, so why don't you just tell us what country you live in? It is perfectly possible that someone on SMF lives in or near your country and can help with concrete suggestions if you provide more information.

Last edited:
This is an international forum, so why don't you just tell us what country you live in? It is perfectly possible that someone on SMF lives in or near your country and can help with concrete suggestions if you provide more information.

Im from Sri Lanka, I highly doubt that theres people in our country. Thats why i didnt mention it at the first place:) Is there any?

The INCI name for Crothix liquid is PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate (and) Aqua (and) PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides

So crothix is a mixture of all those three ingredients? :confused: itl be hard

A single chemical that'l thicken my liquid will do the trick i guess.:cry: Still looking for solutions

I can't say for sure you'll get someone from your region of the world to help you, but it's often a good idea to just explain your problem fully and see what happens! :)

Just google the INCI ingredients for your country and you will probably come up with a name brand product. Most commercial thickeners are a combination of chemicals.

Back