Thickening a oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
This is a odd question. Is there anything I can add to a mineral oil based product to create a gel?
I'm not wanting to add anything water based or a hard oil like beeswax or shea.

I'm hoping to thicken my skin so soft so its easier use.

I'm seeing carbomer is used in the water phase. The Making Cosmetics product is supposed to be hydrated in water.

If Obsidian wants a thickener for an product with only an oil phase, I kinda doubt this will work.

Aloe Vera Gel is wonderful for skin... and especially faces. Perhaps play with the two products to find a happy medium?

I'm seeing carbomer is used in the water phase. The Making Cosmetics product is supposed to be hydrated in water.

If Obsidian wants a thickener for an product with only an oil phase, I kinda doubt this will work.
I thought maybe she could make the gel using water and combine it with the mineral oil mixture using an emulsifier and preservative.

I think that mineral oil is hard to thicken but there are products like Ajinomoto GP-1 and Oleocraft A200V that can be used for this task but I don't think that I have seen them for sale to homecrafters.

Try searching this on the Chemist Corner forum as I remember seeing it discussed there.

I think that mineral oil is hard to thicken but there are products like Ajinomoto GP-1 and Oleocraft A200V that can be used for this task but I don't think that I have seen them for sale to homecrafters.

Try searching this on the Chemist Corner forum as I remember seeing it discussed there.
I found oleocraft under a different name from tdk so I'm going to try it. I'm not positive its exactly the same thing but hopefully it will work.

https://tkbtrading.com/products/citrine-clear-wax

I found oleocraft under a different name from tdk so I'm going to try it. I'm not positive its exactly the same thing but hopefully it will work.

https://tkbtrading.com/products/citrine-clear-wax
I am not sure that product will work with mineral oil as mineral oil is considered non polar and that product is recommended for low medium to high polarity oils.

The INCI for Oleocraft A200V (aka Sylvaclear A200V) is Ethylenediamine/Hydrogenated Dimer Dilinoleate Copolymer Bis-Di-C14-18 Alkyl Amine but as I mentioned previously I haven't seen it for sale to home crafters.

Latest posts

Back