Thick viscous Eo's in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikolye

Reaction score
Hello- I have recently purchased Peru balsam, its very lovely but very thick. I tried gently warming it last time and mixing at trace with my other oils, this didn't work. It left flecks thoughout my soap. I really love it, i want it to work without flecks.

My next try is going to be gently warmed and added to melted oils before i add the lye giving it a wiz with my stick blender, then add lye solution. This is when i have been adding my honey and it seems to work better for me (i experienced the same issues adding honey at trace)

Has anyone else used these sorts of thick oils in soap? Everything online i read the Peru is thinned out before sale or a cosmetic replica.

Thank you in advance

My next try is going to be gently warmed and added to melted oils before i add the lye giving it a wiz with my stick blender, then add lye solution.
I haven't soaped with peru balsam, but I have used that method to incorporate other thick oils and it worked well. The couple thick ones I have are resinoids and accelerate trace!

Maybe mix the warmed Peru balsam into a small amount of melted batch oils and then blending it in would help. I haven’t used it in soap, but I do agree, it is a lovely scent.

Maybe mix the warmed Peru balsam into a small amount of melted batch oils and then blending it in would help. I haven’t used it in soap, but I do agree, it is a lovely scent.
i did end up mixing it into warm oils, and as the oils cooled it seemed to all hang out at the bottom, so i gave it one last blitz before i added the lye and some stayed in little droplets but not nearly as bad as adding it with other EO's at trace. This was a goat's milk, oat and cinnamon batch so the bits of cinnamon and oats will hide the bits of Peru i think and add to the flair. We'll see tomorrow! I'd like to be able to use it in more, however its a very dark color so any soap i use it in will be greatly effected. Smells divine.

Just curious if you have the essential oil or the resin. The Balsam of Peru Resin is not soluble in oil and is a thick viscous pour-able resin. Where did you purchase it?

I'm in New Zealand so i doubt you'd know the place, it was sold as a essential oil steam distilled but its more like Myrrh eo thats been sitting around awhile. it was a bit thicker i'd say then maple syrup.

100% pure therapeutic grade
Botanical name: Myroxylon balsamum
Plant part: crude balsam
Extraction method: steam distilled
Origin: Ecuador

Colour: yellow brown

Common uses: Peru balsam essential oil has been used by aromatherapists for bronchitis, chapped skin, colds, coughing, eczema, flu, poor circulation, rashes, sensitive skin, and nervous and stress disorders.

Consistency: viscous liquid

I would try to warm the bottle of blasam oil in either a hot-water bath or a microwave ovem (in 30 second bursts). Observe how the oil will thin-out as its temperature increases. Maybe use a thermometer to determine how warm and fluid your oil needs to become to satisfy your purposes.

When you are warming the bottle, make sure that the cap is OFF (so that its internal pressure does not increase and burst your bottle).

Hot water bath would be safer than a microwave. You would really hate blowing it up or boiling it over if it is in a brown bottle, which I assume it is. I use Oakmoss Absolute often which is very thick and it works just fine in a hot water bath.

If anyone is interested in how the peru has been handling, not great! It seizes up after being in the oils to long and doesn't incorporate well. I get drag marks from its clumps in my soap. Its beautiful and i love it. But its a huge pain! I don't have to heat it up to get it out of the bottle, it just pours. I pour it into my warm oils and if its there to long it goes almost stringy and clumpy! I'm going to try and add it just before stick blending and see if that helps. sometimes the clumps are not bad, other times it seems to seize up way worse. I'm going to keep trying tho, i love the smell.

try castor oil.
The beautiful, resinous material tapped from the Myroxylon balsamum var. pereirae tree is a rich, dark brown color with a warm, vanilla and cinnamon-like aroma. ... Peru balsam is insoluble in water and fatty oils, but is soluble in alcohol and somewhat in castor oil.

Back