There MUST be a better way to clean up after CP making ??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a bit scent sensitive so most things I hate because it smells like perfume . Tried the Earth Friendly dish soaps because it was the only one that came unscented. But Dawn works better.
I don't do much dishes by hand, I even put my pot/pans in there and you are not suppose to :oops:

So far the CA in the dishwasher made my Glasses look like BRAND NEW ! and no wet dog smell so far.

I want to try the soap pots next but I need to make more soap to dirty up more pots to make a full load :hippo:
Any excuse to soap, no ?

Dawn works wonders for me with hot water but that's just soap and lotion. Glad it's not beeswax candles! I've never seen any dawn that is green. And since no one ever mentions anything about pink, which I use, I'm assuming pink must only be available in Canada.

Yes, I am originally from PA but I do like Canada. And I can assure you that this spring is cold! But it's cold in PA too.
Pink Dawn is called Fuji Cherry Blossom and it smells lovely. If I could find it for soap, I'd buy it. But you never know if it would be the same or not.

Two questions: what's wrong with a little film on a ss soaping pot? And why "blue" Dawn? I have Dawn that works wonders but it's pink and has a lovely scent.

For me the film on my bowls/buckets is a safety concern. I'm 100% naturally clumsy to begin with, so give me a slightly oily bowl filled with caustic soap batter while I'm wearing gloves is just guaranteeing the disaster.

I like blue Dawn. I've never used anything else. I don't even know what the other colors are for. :D

For me the film on my bowls/buckets is a safety concern. I'm 100% naturally clumsy to begin with, so give me a slightly oily bowl filled with caustic soap batter while I'm wearing gloves is just guaranteeing the disaster.

I like blue Dawn. I've never used anything else. I don't even know what the other colors are for. :D

I find if I wash everything then put in new water and new detergent and wash everything again the film goes.
The second wash it very quick but it seems to work well.

I dry my dishes, check for film, then spray with iso alcohol and wipe dry again. The film removal isn't a problem for me, I was just explaining the problem I would have if I left the film on.

I dry my dishes, check for film, then spray with iso alcohol and wipe dry again. The film removal isn't a problem for me, I was just explaining the problem I would have if I left the film on.

Isopropyl alcohol costs a fortune here so I save it for preventing soda ash. I just drip dry my pots - lazy :rolleyes:

Glad you’ve worked out a system that works for you. I agree about the slippery pots!

I have a dedicated melting pot for my candles, so I just do the "dirty clean" somebody mentioned above - wipe with paper towels, then I put the put into a ziplock bag so it doesn't collect dust. I use soy wax for my candles.

For lip balm, which uses beeswax, I squeegee out as much as possible with a silicone spatula, then I microwave the container (glass measuring cup) so it is hot and wipe thoroughly with a paper towel. After that, I put some water a bit of cooking oil and microwave again. The oil will break down the wax. Then I wash it in the dishwasher. if that sounds like a hassle - I usually make 4-5 batches of lip balm before I clean the container. Which is why I am out of tubes!

Ok they sat out for over 3 days but the ones I did tonight I wiped out extra........ they are in the dishwasher now with a sprinkle of Citric acid .

I usually scape everything humanly possible out of the utensil into the mould.. let it sit till the soap saponifies. Soak them in water for half a day.. at this almost all the soap gets soft and off the utensils and finish off with dish soap.

I have a dedicated melting pot for my candles, so I just do the "dirty clean" somebody mentioned above - wipe with paper towels, then I put the put into a ziplock bag so it doesn't collect dust. I use soy wax for my candles.

For lip balm, which uses beeswax, I squeegee out as much as possible with a silicone spatula, then I microwave the container (glass measuring cup) so it is hot and wipe thoroughly with a paper towel. After that, I put some water a bit of cooking oil and microwave again. The oil will break down the wax. Then I wash it in the dishwasher. if that sounds like a hassle - I usually make 4-5 batches of lip balm before I clean the container. Which is why I am out of tubes!

I'm going to try this. Thanks for the tip!

Dishwasher worked GREAT ! I highly recommend a tsp of citric acid, makes it all shiny.
I was able to fit a 3qt pitcher, 8 cup glass pyrex, 5 -28oz plastic measure cups, 2-1/2 paint mix tub, a bunch of glass dressing serving bowls, 4 - 64oz plastic measure cups and 7 rubber spatulas. They all had a good amount of room around them all, no not crammed in.

Way easier FYI they were all wiped out very well, all but a few were 3 days sitting. No difference between the 2 (sitting and just used) stuff.

I am so glad you asked this! I've been making CP for awhile and wondered how everyone else cleaned up. It takes so long if you don't wait 24 hours, which I just figured out, lol.

Just like with other activities, cleaning up and putting things away is a big part of the job.

I have a tub filled with lots of white terry cloth rags, and I use these to wipe out my soap making pots, immediately after I pour and fill the mold blocks. Utensils get washed in the sink. The mold block components and liners are simply scraped clean with plastic putty knives. The soap dries on the terry rags and can be washed out later in a washing machine.

Edit:

With a bit of practice you can scrape-clean the soap film from your block liners and create wafer thin soap "leaves", which you can dry into quick-disolving units for hand-washing of fine clothing in the sink.

For a while I would put 5 or 7 of these leaves into a cellophane bag with a fold over top, and one each of these bags was issued by a high-end local sweater creator, with each sweater sale, as an approved and recommended sweater-soap, an alternative to Woolite.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really liking the dishwasher .............. just sayin'
:thumbs:

I'm so glad the dishwasher+critic acid worked for you!

Also happy to know the CA worked on regular dishes. I've been using Lemi Shine since it's what I bought for food dishes, but it's expensive for the container size. I've got a big ass bag of CA for making bath bombs - so now I can just use some of that!

and I too put my pots in the dishwasher. ;)

...but then I also don't buy expensive pots, lol. IKEA ftw.

HAHA, I bought semi expensive black outter all clad (but the Kirkalnd Costco brand). After a bit it takes the outter black off. oh well.

What started on the CA is I was having issues with 'wet dog' smell on the glasses. I really think it comes from the Eggs we eat. Anyway after reading on line for about a year, someone said that CA was in the Lemonshine and it's basically the same thing.

Why not, I got a pail full ;)

FYI, Just watned to let you know that if you only add a Little bit of dish soap (powder) and CA works better if you don't want to totally wipe out the bowls.
They are 'scraped' clean and I rub off most on the spatulas but then just stick it in the washer. Add about a Teaspoon of powder soap and a bit less CA it comes out great. Regualr amount of powder and not totally wiped out pots make for bubbles coming out the bottom of washer :rolleyes:

Also, if you use Mica WIPE out the mixing dish. Sometimes it drops on the plastic bowls and sits there.

Back