The VERY real dangers of soaping-Photos added!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mouse

Reaction score
I hesitate to post this since I am new to the forum and am afraid that the expert soapers will jump on my case, but I had a very scary incident today. I've been a lurker here long enough to see that there always new soapers out there looking for information, and that the impending Christmas season can heighten that effect, so please take a lesson from my stupidity.

Today I got my shipment of FO's from Brambleberry (White tea & Ginger, Honeysuckle, Bay Rum, Almond, and Applejack Peel). I was EXTREMELY excited, especially since a few of these I have never worked with before. As soon as I smelled the Applejack, I could see in my mind the soap I wanted to make. I was really pressed for time, having only an hour before my husband got home, and we had evening appointments set up, but even so, I really was eager to soap this oil, so I began my little journey.
I wanted to infuse the annatto seed I've had for ages and never used, so I did that, measuring out the oil, grinding the seed, and setting the jar on the counter. I went on to do an orange peel infusion, a ground sage infusion, and mixed a small amount of marigold and jade Labcolors in their own oil. I measured out the base oil, and then realized I was going to have do lye calculations for every one of them. Major mistake! (The rushed manner was my first). I went about measuring out lye for each set of oil, and then measuring water for each of those. By now my kitchen is a mess, with many more containers about than I had ever planned to use!
I mixed the lye into each solution, working quickly as I really didn't want my husband (who just happens to work as a chemical technician in a lab!) to come home and see the mess I had made in the kitchen...

I mixed the solution for my base last- 6.11 oz of lye into 16 oz water for a pure 3 pound olive oil base, only, I didn't mix it while I poured- I just poured. Quickly. BIG, DANGEROUS mistake.

In my arrogance (I've made soap a hundred times, I don't need safety gear!), I had on neither gloves nor goggles. The once or twice I got a bit of raw soap on my hand, I run it under water and it's fine. This time, the lye was furious at being so rudely introduced to the water and began boiling violently. A good bit splashed onto my hand and bubbled over onto the floor. Before I realized what I had done, I stepped back, barefoot, into the puddle of lye. I froze for a second, ran (stupid!) with the boiling container of lye solution and stuck it outside my back door and booked to the shower so I could clean off both the sole of my foot and my hand, crying angrily at my stupidity, and really frightened, quite frankly.

I cleaned up the area and finished the soap (CPOP, still in the oven), but I've been going over it all evening now and want to share my conclusions and warnings:

1) Always wear safety gear, even when (especially when?) you believe you are experienced enough with lye to not need it. If the reaction had been strong enough, it could have reached my face, blinding me and disfiguring me for life. Lye is no joke. I knew that, but thought I knew what I was doing.

2) Have a clear path. I had a picture in my head, but before I began my procedure, I didn't see all the steps involved. It quickly became complicated because I had no plan and no idea how I was going to execute my vision. It's especially important when you are making something you've never done before. A five, six color soap is something new to me, and further, I used different colorant types that needed to be mixed in to the soap in different ways. You can very quickly have a nightmare on your hands like I did. Write it all down, the whole procedure, before you begin; it may not be enough to have your calculations written down.

3) DON'T RUSH. If you don't have ample time to soap safely, wait, no matter how much you want to try out all those nifty materials that just arrived on the front porch. Give yourself time, take deep breaths, and slow down.

4) Because it can't be stressed enough-WEAR GOGGLES AND GLOVES. Work safely. Like my husband told me when I told him what happened, one lab accident can change your life, even take your life.

I'm still very embarrassed, very angry with myself, but most of all humbled by my mistakes. Chastened. This is a wonderful hobby and it has added a lot of joy to my life, but I didn't give the lye the respect it deserved. I feel very lucky that it wasn't worse.

I hope this helps someone out there. :oops: :oops: :oops:

So here's the Applejack- I had to rebatch it :cry:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And here's a shot of my lye burn:

this is what life is all about, you make a mistake and learn from it.We all do it.Your husband probably would have not even cared about the mess.
I understand the time rush pressure, it happens sometimes.
I always wear eye protection,don't want to mess with my eyes, thanks for sharing your story :)

Don't be embarrassed, I appreciate you sharing. I am one of those soaper's who doesn't wear gloves or goggles. I am going to buy some latex disposable gloves and easy to wear eye protection. Being on this board has reminded me that I need to pay better attention to safety measures.

PippiL: Thanks for the encouragement...and your gentleness :)

Soapygurl: I'm glad it helps; personally I wore googles and gloves for the first few batches and then got overconfident...my husband told me he's going to buy me a box of nitrile gloves tomorrow and buy me some nicer goggles-the ones I have are fairly cumbersome. I love that man!

I have a pretty nasty lye burn on my hand. I didn't get it washed fast enough- I can see the path of the splash. Hubby says it may leave a scar, but I figure that it will be a permanent reminder to keep my ego in check, slow down, and have my plan well mapped out before I start from now on...

Thank you for your openness in sharing your experience, and for the wise, cautionary advice gleaned from your misadventure (excellent reminders for us all)! I'm so glad you are alright and that nothing worse happened to you than a burn on the hand (as bad enough as that is).

Goggles and gloves are non-optional for me. I never soap without them on, although I admit that there has been a time or 2 when I've been tempted to get lax. But then I slap myself back to reality when testimonies such as yours come to mind. Thank you for being brave enough to share!

IrishLass :)

Mouse, I cannot thankyou enough for your post. You know how they say that everything happens for a reason?, well I just got a big wake up call because I too can tend to become lax and over confident in my soaping.

The other day I opened up the sliding door from my soaping room to the back verander not realising my husband had sat 20kg bag of unopened chicken food against the fixed window of the glass sliding door, as I opened the slider (jug of water in one hand lye in the other), the sliding door bounced back off the chicken food bag and splashed the water, had that been mixed with the lye I could have got badly burnt or the stuff in my eyes.

You should have seen me this time around when I started back up soaping, I was so anxious and excited I made some silly mistakes. The main thing is is that you're safe and o.k., so learn from the mistake and enjoy your soaping, cause when you enjoy it, we enjoy it with you. :D

I will admit to cutting corners as time has gotten away from me.

Thanks Mouse for the reality check, safety first....

Mouse I'm so pleased you didn't get hurt ... your husband spoke wise words!
... one lab accident can change your life, even take your life.
I am careful, and after my wonderful husband died in February 2009, I realised I had to rely on myself as I no longer had another hand to do any work with or for me. This is just another reason why I always wear gloves when making soap or working with fresh soap.

Mistakes happen, even to the most experienced. Thanks for sharing.

The other day I was making syndet shampoo bars. I wear a full respirator mask with cartridges for particulates and fumes when I do this. It's so bulky that at some point in the process I realized that I had taken off my goggles and forgotten to put them back on. This was when I was adding fragrance and other additives in the cool down phase. A drop of something splashed upward and hit my face. No harm done but it was definitely a "duh" moment.

Lesson learned. And for me, I've learned

1) never soap if you're going to feel rushed
2) never soap if you're feeling sick or tired

Ask me how I know!

And its not just people starting out in this hobby either....I have been soaping for some time now and always thought I was sooo careful. I always wear big gloves up to my elbows and googles and a lab coat. I even have been know to put on some tall gum boots just to make sure the feet are really covered. Up until last week I have never had even a small spill on the floor but I was getting tired as I have been having to get my stuff done after my son goes to bed. (hes been home sick so no work during the day) Anyways I did the batch and then stupidly I went to clean up my equipment after I was done and...I started wiping off my stick blender without unplugging it. Well OMG my one hand was wiping the other holding it, still with gloves on but I took off my goggles early.....OMG my hand hit the button and splattered raw soap all over my face and neck.....I freaked as I felt some go in my right eye.....dropped everything and ran upstairs and splashed vinegar all over my face and neck and then upstairs to the bathroom and rinsed everything.I didn't have a mark on me...I was very lucky although my eye burned for a good while...

We all need a shack up I guess to make us respect what we are working with....Thanks for sharing

So glad you are OK now - how frightening though.

My own soaping rules are simple....

1. no mask or gloves - no soaping
2. feeling "off" - no soaping
3. space must be clean/tidy/organized or.....NO SOAPING.

wow! I'm glad you felt brave enough to share. I think I know it all sometimes and want to skip the safety gear. This is a great story :) Glad you are okay.

Umm... I hope I wasn't the only one thinking this... can we see soap pics? :p

I would love to show some pics of my lye burn to share how ugly it can really get....and I would love to share pics of my soap. It STILL has not finished gelling. I turned the oven up to 170 when I woke up and shut it off. I have appointments all day, which will keep me from hovering.
When I get a chance to really sit down and figure out photobucket and uploading pics, I will, but I'm househunting in earnest right now and am not even getting to the mountains of laundry in my basement :lol: I'll put up pics when I can.
It's good to hear everyone's stories. Thanks for being supportive.

When I first started making soap I had lye splash in my eye, thank god I was wearing my glasses, no not goggles but i got lye in my eye Most went on my lens of my glasses which partially melted. Rinsed my eye with white vinegar,then cool distilled water, My eye burned like $%@# but learned my lesson. I never soap without safety wear and always soap with someone at home just in case.

Thank you for sharing - it's important to be reminded not to get complacent. So far (as a relative newbie) I've been very careful, and wondered at times if I've been too hung up on making sure that the area is clear, that I have my protection on, and that I have everything that i may need to hand. Your story illustrates why I should continue my rigorous routine, and not assume that everything will be ok.

It is important to factor others, and pets in also. While I live alone, and have no children, I do have a blind cat with a neurological condition (basically she's developmentally challenged, and behaves like a kitten, despite being 2 and a half). She's not allowed outside without supervision as she tends to get lost, and anytime I soap, she's shut up in another room, crying for attention, which I always feel guilty about, but would feel much worse if she was under my feet (or climbing my legs, as she does regularly) and caused a risk to me or her.

Anyway, the point was not to soap when your environment is not completely under your control, and where any random factor could throw you off.

Back