The Un-Challenge March 2018

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The official SMF Challenges are on a temporary break, so in the meantime how about an unofficial, very casual challenge. The theme is to choose a song that has some significance for you, then make a soap to represent it. The representation can be fragrance, color, design or anything you want it to be. If you care to share why the song is special to you, please do.

The only rule is to post a picture of your 'entry' by March 31. There isn't a need for a sign up. There won't be any voting. You can make and post as many soaps as you would like. Any type of soap can be used. Any kind of mold can be used.

Have fun while we wait for the return of the Official Challenges!
Let's make soap!

I've actually done that a few years ago.
I call it "Walk on the Ocean" inspired by the song of the same name by Toad the Wet Sprocket.

It is a blend of scents - Ocean, Cool Water, Moonlight Path, and Black Linen & Amber.
Smelled great when I made it, but of course being water scents mostly, it faded...
post-200-0-46027900-1424385229.jpg

post-200-0-43411500-1424385232.jpg

I've actually done that a few years ago.
I call it "Walk on the Ocean" inspired by the song of the same name by Toad the Wet Sprocket.

It is a blend of scents - Ocean, Cool Water, Moonlight Path, and Black Linen & Amber.
Smelled great when I made it, but of course being water scents mostly, it faded...
I hope I posted this in the right spot, if not, I'll post elsewhere and you can remove it.

I don't know if this song has any special significance to me, but I do LOVE it, and feel it has a very deep meaning, and almost every time I listen to it, I can glean a different meaning out of it.

I hope I posted this in the right spot, if not, I'll post elsewhere and you can remove it.

I don't know if this song has any special significance to me, but I do LOVE it, and feel it has a very deep meaning, and almost every time I listen to it, I can glean a different meaning out of it.

It’s fine with me and your soap is lovely.

Here is my song-inspired soap.

The song is Secret Door by Evanescence. Here are the lyrics:

Turn out the lights
Feed the fire till my soul breathes free
My heart is high as the waves above me

Don't need to understand
Too lost to lose
Don't fight my tears, 'cause they feel so good

And I, I will remember how to fly
Unlock the heavens in my mind
Follow my love back through the same secret door

Look past the end
It's a dream, as it's always been
All life lives on if we've ever loved it

And I, I will remember how to fly
Follow my love back through the same secret door

I, I will remember how to fly
Follow my love back
Through the same secret door

I immediately thought of this design...a secret door through the night into the heavens in my mind (my dreams)
IMG_20180308_145933.jpg
IMG_20180308_150056.jpg

Cirafly your soap is so ethereal and compliments the song lyrics. There is something it reminds me of, but I’ve been thinking about it and just can’t bring it to mind.

My soap is inspired by Hate Me by Blue October. Its the lyricists singing to his mother about his addictions, self hatred and recovery.
This song has a lot of meaning to me. As a teen I had very low self esteem, I hated myself and thought everyone else did too. Live had no meaning and I figured no one would really care if I died or lived. I ran away at 15, got into drugs and struggled for years with depression.
The things I did, the way I acted towards my parents are unforgivable but of course, our parents always forgive. I still struggle with depression and at times, self loathing. The drugs I have left behind after overdosing twice on meth in a 4 month period. Its a miracle I survived that period in my life.
I'm not what I call happy, I don't think I ever will be but I'm at peace and that is good enough.

The blue base is for the bands name, the black represents hate and the yellow is the peace I now live with. If anyone cares to listen to the song, I'll link a couple different versions.

1JPMDjC.jpg

version 1, this is the original, you can see the singer isn't in a good place mentally

version 2, a few years later. You can see and hear the peace he has achieved. This one is my favorite

Thank you for sharing your story. I just listened to the song on Spotify, very powerful. One song that I love in a similar vein is K''s Choice called I'm an Addict. Have you heard it?

Here is mine, although I have not taken it yet out of the mold. I will post better picture of it, and also when I cut it, which is probably going to hurt, a lot .....

I call it My Maria, and is my husband's song, lol. Is only his, because he sings it to me since we met.

Below is a video clip if you never heard of it. Is you see the video, the soap kind of makes sense. At least to me.

I really loved this challenge. I think I like it better than the standard SMF challenge.

My M CP soap.jpg

Attachments

• 20180315_161147.jpg
    20180315_161147.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 21
Sunrise I think your soap fits the video perfectly. Great job! I am glad you found this fun. I love the regular SMF monthly challenges, and just suggested this to give us something to do while we wait for the next one. I maybe should have referred to it as a Soap Along, since it really isn't a challenge. It's just a place holder until the real deal comes back. I'm hoping to get some pictures of my soap tomorrow.

The summers of 1970-71. Bell bottoms and bare feet. Tie dye and peace signs. Viet Nam and friends and family drafted, while the voting age for federal elections remained at 21. Protests and unrest. I lived in Ohio at the time, and the Kent State shootings was a recent and raw event. Gloria Steinem, feminism and the ERA. And also the first Earth Day, warm days spent in the company of friends who we all know are everything to us at that age. Boon's Farm and parties on a peninsula in the river. Love found, love lost. Freedom. And behind it all the music of Woodstock, Crosby-Stills-Nash & Young, The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, The Doors, and The Low Spark of the High Heeled Boys. And yes, the Beatles, Bob Dylan, a young Elton John and Rod Stewart. Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin. I guess this was my coming of age.

Fast forward almost 50 years, and we are seeing high school kids making their voices heard for a cause they have a passion for. The ERA still has not been ratified. Our planet continues to be polluted. And I really don't know how I was able to drink Boon's Farm. The music is still great.

The soap I made is taken from CSNY's Four Way Street which was probably played enough times to wear out the vinyl (or the 8 track). The colors are from the lyrics "purple words on a grey background" and "hello ruby in the dust". It is scented with a patchouli blend because, well, the early 70s. Peace.
PurpleWords.jpg

Back