The Un-Challenge March 2018

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We worked more on our grandma/granddaughter un-challenge soap project last night after we got home from the March. She even wore her Yellow Submarine T-shirt all day. Finishing up today is the plan, then she is going to a concert/slash get together with her favorite Rapper. I sure am glad she didn't choose Rap music for this project as I told her she had free rein to choose whatever song she wanted. (She is not going 'with' the Rapper, let me be clear on that. He will be there, which is why she is going, of course.)

Our un-challenge entry is inspired by the Beatle's Yellow Submarine. That was the song my granddaughter chose right from the start and even though we listened to several other songs for the next couple of days while she was making up her mind, it is the one she stuck with. I gave her full rein to choose whatever song she wanted and to direct the design choices.

She also drew a picture that we used as our guide, but I don't have picture of her drawing, so am including a photo of a T-shirt instead.

We used turmeric infused in a small amount of walnut oil to color the double butter (mango & shea) glycerine MP (ArtMinds) for the hull of the submarine, as well as for the sail & the tailfin. We made the hull in two halves with a cavity inside for adding additional surprises within the soap. Originally the plan was that the top could be opened like a box lid, but changed our minds because of the tailfin, so more MP went in with soap dough embeds reminiscent of Beatles psycheldic displays from their movies. The MP and embeds inside helped secure the top and bottom, as does the tailfin. Soap dough makes up the exterior embellishments, including the periscopes and railing on the top of the Yellow Submarine.

full

full

This was a really fun family project with my granddaughter. Not only did she choose the song, she drew a picture that we used as a guide and helped a bit with the camera work, as I wanted to make a video, too so I can learn how to make a soapmaking video. And of course together we carved, shaped and sculpted the soap, as well as worked with the soap dough embellishments. We worked on it at home (her home) as well as while we were away on our trip to Panama City Beach. I taught her how to contain the mess of soap carving on a tray while we sat on a bed watching tv, so dual lessons about soapmaking and limiting messes to make for easier clean-up. Being the smart gal she is, when we worked on it at home, she made the same suggestion to use trays in front of the tv so we could watch a little iZombie while we worked. ;)

Next up on the agenda for me is to continue learning digital video editing, as my DIL began teaching me last night (until the cat ran up a tree and was too afraid to comeback down and had to be rescued.) As we were choosing footage to include in the video, she commented proudly on granddaughter's beautiful hands as she was sculpting the hull of this soap. My son also participated a bit with some photography help, lots of compliments and general all around fatherly pride. A fabulous family project. Thank you, dibbles!

earlene, this is just wonderful. I love that this was something you did with your granddaughter and that the rest of the family got involved as well. This song will have a very special memory for you all. Your granddaughter is a very talented young lady. Well done!!!!!

Here is my no rain soap. Well is not as I expected, I thought I would have straight lines ..... I did not think they would be so hard. Any tricks you all can share?

Anyway, it does smell so good. I used honey and almond FO. And real honey of course.

Attachments

• BeFunky Collage.jpg
    BeFunky Collage.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 20
Thank you, SunRiseArts. Your No Rain soap is really nice. I think the waviness of the lines is more representative of a bee than straight lines would have been.

I am not the best at straight lines in colored layers, but the straightest ones I have managed were based on pouring very low over a spatula, close to the surface, with slightly thick batter (not too thin, but not too thick) then letting each layer set up a bit before the next layer is prepared and poured. The way I read to do that was mix to emulsion, separate, color one portion, mix to desired thickness only just before pouring each layer. For me, I think it will take a lot of practice to perfect the technique.

Thanks Earlene. Your explanation makes so much sense. I will try lines in the future!

SunRise, another way to get straight lines is to use a fragrance that accelerates. Split your batter as earlene suggests but don't add the FO. Whisk the FO into each portion just before pouring, and it should set up fairly quickly - at least enough to support the next layer. If you are attempting LOTS of layers, Toni of White Milk Soap keeps her lye solution, fragrance and oils separate, then weighs out mini batches. I've done this, and it works well - but be prepared to spend a very long time making your soap. It also helps to have a gram scale. Here are a couple of YouTube videos she made using this technique.

...If you are attempting LOTS of layers, Toni of White Milk Soap keeps her lye solution, fragrance and oils separate, then weighs out mini batches. I've done this, and it works well - but be prepared to spend a very long time making your soap. It also helps to have a gram scale. Here are a couple of YouTube videos she made using this technique.
Dibbles, I'm tempted to copy & paste this into a new thread so I can find it when I need it. Whatcha think? :cool:

Back