The Un-Challenge March 2018

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a song, a design idea and the supplies, I just need a hanger tool, my 1 pound molds (they disappeared shortly after we moved here) or a substitute and some energy. The past few days have been hectic at work. Hopefully things will work in my favor for the next challenge or un-challenge. The challenges push me out of my comfort zone. I learn new things and they're fun.

Obsidian, Thank you for sharing your story - Yes parents forgive, but more importantly, forgiving yourself is healing. We all do the best we can and if its YOUR best then its good enough. Living life on life's terms isn't always easy but remember its not how many times we fall, but how many times we get up!

Dibbles very nice soap!

I am wanting to make another one, but cannot decide on a song. I was thinking about Blind Melon no rain, or matchbox 20 push, I used to love those songs ... perhaps they are sort of depressing?.

Prince’s music has been a part of my life since childhood. From listening to his earliest albums on the 8-track player in my Dad’s van on the way to school back in the late 70’s-early 80’s to camping out for tickets for the Atlanta show for his “Purple Rain Tour” and beyond. His refusal to conform to what others thought he should be and blaze his own path was always an inspiration to me. Not only did I love his music, but I admired his amazing talent and spirit! When he died, the world felt like a darker place without him. This is the soap that I created as a tribute to Prince and it’s popular with my customers, so it’s in my regular line of soap now!

I named it “Starfish & Coffee” after my favorite Prince song:

The soap is scented with RE “Blue Skies” FO and my colors and swirl pattern were my take on Prince’s suit in the following video. I don’t know how many of y’all are old enough to remember when MTV had ‘World Premier’ videos on Friday nights, but this was a huge big deal with me and my friends since there were rumors that Prince swore he would cut his hair if ‘Purple Rain’ went Platinum...we had a sleepover at my house that Friday night and my Mom made us purple snacks (purple cookies, blueberry muffins, grape soda - you get the drift!), and we all just died when we saw Prince’s new ‘do!!

FullSizeRender (24).jpg

A tribute to one of my all-time favorite performers David Bowie. Space Oddity being one of his biggest hits and Aladdin Sane was the first Album of his that I bought (sadly lost in a basement flood, the only survivor is in the pictures) so it's a spacey soap.
I was very fortunate to see him at Radio City Music Hall in 1973, what a show!
The soap is an indigo and charcoal base with an in the pot swirl using small amounts of teal, purple and pink micas.
The Earth and moon are M&P along with the Aladdin Sane symbol. Topped with blue glitter and scented with Kismet by Nurture (I love it!)
26075531837_8ab466d1f2.jpg

40239620104_fa96e046c9_n.jpg

40948082811_b3fd2207d4.jpg

His wonderful advice to artists:
The most important thing you need to remember as an artist, according to David Bowie:
“Never work for other people at what you do. Always remember that the reason that you initially started working was that there was something inside yourself that you felt that if you could manifest it in some way, you would understand more about yourself or how you coexist with the rest of society. I think it’s terribly dangerous for an artist to fulfill other people’s expectations. I think they generally produce their worst work when they do that.
And the other thing I would say is that if you feel safe in the area you’re working in, you’re not working in the right area. Always go a little further into the water than you feel you’re capable of being in. Go a little out of your depth, and when you don’t feel that your feet are quite touching the bottom, you’re just about in the right place to do something exciting.”
Keep people on their toes

I think he was a gifted and generous artist, certainly one of a kind. May he RIP :(

A tribute to one of my all-time favorite performers David Bowie.
David Bowie, Freddie Mercury and Prince all tie for my #1 all-time favorites. Unfortunately they are all now gone, but from the time I was very young (11 or 12 or earlier) I loved David Bowie and Freddie Mercury, then when Prince came on the scene - even before Purple Rain, man, I just fell in love with that little dude. His voice, his look, his androgyny, all of it.

Scard: Love your soap and your tribute to David Bowie. "There are some who bring a light so great to the world that even after they have gone the light remains". Leigh Standley of Curly Girl Design

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. I've read about so many artists who were not happy with the path of their careers because they didn't follow their own vision. I think it's vital advice for creative folks. :)

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. I've read about so many artists who were not happy with the path of their careers because they didn't follow their own vision. I think it's vital advice for creative folks. :)
I think that might be why I loved all 3 of the ones I mentioned - they did what the wanted, how they wanted to do it with no regrets and no apologies...

Back