The soapcalc calculator, superfatting, water and coconut oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra_fat

Reaction score
I notice that when using the soapcalc calculator the hardness of the bar does not change when you increase the superfatting. I would think this would make it softer, doesn't it?

I have read that coconut oil should not be more than 30% and shea butter should not be more that 20%. What kind of soap would 50% olive oil, 30% coconut oil and 20% shea butter produce?

Also the soapcalc calculator with it's default of water to oil at 38% seems to ask for more water that other calculators I have used. Can I safely reduce this to 33%?

Soapcalc does not adjust numbers for superfatting. So, yes, a bar would be softer.

Yes, you can lower the water, but I would suggest you do it in lower increments so that you can find the level you are comfortable with.

I think that soap would be nice. I do a 30% CO,,30% shea and 35% OO (6% superfat) that I like a lot. I do like my soaps that are high in butters to cure a bit longer than usual--8-10 weeks instead of the usual 6.

ToniD said:
Soapcalc does not adjust numbers for superfatting. So, yes, a bar would be softer.

Yes, you can lower the water, but I would suggest you do it in lower increments so that you can find the level you are comfortable with.

I think that soap would be nice. I do a 30% CO,,30% shea and 35% OO (6% superfat) that I like a lot. I do like my soaps that are high in butters to cure a bit longer than usual--8-10 weeks instead of the usual 6.

Thank you for your response. What is the 5% missing from your recipe?

Would castor oil be good?

you'd have to do a pretty hefty superfat to significantly soften a soap, unless it's high on soft oils to begin with. even olive oil, which starts out soft, gets rock hard with a 10% superfat.

as for coconut oil being drying - depends on how you formulate your soap. if you want to use a lot, but find it drying, try using other less drying oils and increasing your superfat. we've a few discussions on this topic active right now. i regularly use 75% coconut oil without a problem. (caveat: some people feel they are sensitive to coconut oil and find it drying no matter what).

cobra_fat said:
ToniD said:

Thank you for your response. What is the 5% missing from your recipe?

Would castor oil be good?

Oh, sorry. 35% CO But sure you could use castor. I don't think it is necessary in that recipe cuz you have plenty of bubbles from the CO, but tweek things around till you find your preferences.

I think I may be one of those people. I've gone from 30% to start to now about 10% and I still find it to be drying. I've upped all my SF to 9% and added shea and cocoa butter and still, kinda feels the same to me. It is the worst on my hands, though. No one who I've given any to has said that it is drying to them, so it may very well just be my skin.

That looks like a good formula! I would cut the water to 34% unless you're using an FO that's known to speed trace. I'd add the castor. It adds small, dense lather to your soap. It's just me, but I like a combo of small, dense lather from castor & the big, fluffy bubbles from coconut oil.

Back