The soap recipe thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Handmilled recipe

1lb 3/4 goat's milk base
3 tsp colloidal oatmeal
1 tbs rice bran oil
2 tbs shea butter

Prepare your handmilled soap however you do. When your soap base is about ready, melt shea butter first then add the oil and oatmeal and mix thoroughly. Add your shea/oil mix to the soap and mix well. Pour into your prepared molds (I use a 1lb mold) and allow to set completely before removing and cutting. Allow to cure for up to four weeks or as long as you prefer.

Emily Klesick said:
This is an easy soap, but a HUGE hit.

One or more (depending on how much you want to make) basic soap base, any of kind works, as long as it is hand-millable.

Clove EO
Cinnamon EO
Ground clove buds
Ground cinnamon

Melt the base and when it is cooled down (not hard yet though!)add the EO's and buds then poor into molds. It will be kind of pink if you add the ground cinnamon. Don't add alot becuase cinnamon can be slightly harsh.

This one sounds so yummy! I think this will be the next soap i make!

Apple mint oatmeal soap

Ingredients:
14 oz. canola oil
26 oz. coconut oil
3 oz. palm oil
4 oz. rice bran oil
2.4 oz. shea butter
1 oz. cocoa butter

22 oz. distilled water
10.4 oz. lye

At trace:
1/2 Cup Oatmeal
3.5 oz. green apple fragrance oil
1 oz. peppermint essential oil
about a quarter teaspoon of green colorant

Directions:
I made this using the cold process soapmaking method. It turned out great. Wonderful lather, a hard bar, and moisturizing.

Bliss said:
Oatmeal Cookie Soap

* 36 oz. Olive Oil
* 4 oz. Castor Oil
* 4 oz. Coconut Oil
* 6 oz. Sunflower Oil
* 2 oz. Cocoa Butter
* 6.67 oz. Lye
* 10.00 oz. Buttermilk (frozen in 1 oz. Cubes)
* 6.72 oz. Distilled Water
* ½ cup finely ground oatmeal
* ½ cup honey
* ½ tsp cinnamon essential oil
* ½ tsp clove bud oil
* 2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

1. All oils, lye, buttermilk and water are measured by weight.
2. Place all oils in a 5quart crock-pot. Turn heat on low.
3. Place buttermilk cubes and distilled water in a Rubbermaid pitcher. Place in a bowl of ice in sink. Slowly pour lye into pitcher while stirring. Stir until lye is dissolved.
4. When all oils are melted, slowly add lye solution.
5. Stir mixture until trace, and then place crock-pot into oven. Turn oven off.
6. Check mixture every 10 to 15 minutes and stir. If the soap mixture seems to be cooling too quickly, turn the oven back on for 5 minutes and then turn off again. You may need to do this once or twice.
7. After about 45 minutes to 1 hour the lye and oils should be fully saponified. I did the tongue test 2x. Yuck! The 1st time was a little too early and it DID sting my tongue. The 2nd time it was just soapy. Thank heavens.
8. Add the oatmeal and honey, then the essential oils and extract. Mix thoroughly.
9. Scoop soap into log mold(s). Bang the mold(s) on a counter or on the floor to eliminate air bubbles. Gently press top of soap with waxed paper and try to smooth.
10. After 12 to 24 hours, remove soap from mold and slice to desired size.

This one sounds delicious. I think once i get the hang of soap making a little more I'm going to try this one. For now i'm just sticking to the basics though.

This is a SUPER OLD THREAD so yes, I am necroposting. But I'm doing it to see if others have any interest in sharing their favorite recipes?

This idea came about because one of our newer members @SoapDaddy70 was scouring the interwebs looking for some recipes.

Many of us experienced soapers here have already shared recipes in other threads; perhaps we could help out the newbies by putting them here, all in one place. But if no one else answers, I'm happy to let this post go back to sleep for the next 13 years. :)

Lard-Goatmilk-Oat-Shea Recipe - 5% SF
67% lard
18% CO or PKO
10% shea butter
5% castor oil

1 Tbsp PPO powdered goat milk (stick-blended thoroughly into oils)
1 Tbsp PPO colloidal oats (hydrated in some reserved liquid)
1 Tbsp PPO sugar (dissolved in lye liquid before adding the lye)

Optional:
1% sodium lactate added at trace
1 puff of tussah silk in lye liquid before adding lye.

Works well with water, vinegar, or aloe vera juice as the liquid. Best with at least 6 weeks of curing, and even better at 8-10 weeks. Very gentle on the skin and nice creamy lather. Batter is a creamy off-white (non-gelled) to light tan (gelled).

Coffee Salt Bars - 20% SF
100% CO (or 80% CO and 20% avocado oil)
50% of oil weight in finely ground salt (no Dead Sea Salt or Epsom salt!)
Use refrigerated brewed coffee for some or all of the lye liquid. It will stink when you add the lye, but the smell doesn't remain in the soap.

Optional: 1 Tbsp PPO finely ground coffee for extra scrubbiness and deodorizing.

Bring batter to medium trace, stir in salt, and immediately pour into cavity molds. These become super hard, super fast, so best not to use a loaf mold unless you can watch it like a hawk to cut before it is a block of stone.

I’ve been wanting to make a salt bar... seems like an easy recipe. Do salt bars really need to cure for many months though?

This is One of the first bars I made... the first batch turned out awesome. The second batch didn’t gel all the way. And the third batch was processed in the oven and was beautiful! But all of them turned out to be great soaps! It’s one of my favorite soaps! My skin loves it!

Honey and Hemp-5% SF
45% Canola Oil
30% Coconut Oil
15% Hempseed Oil
10% Castor Oil

5% PPO Honey (thinned with a little bit of batch water) added to cooled lye water.

.25 ounce PPO of jojoba oil added at trace.

I’ve put it in freezer so it doesn’t gel and oven processed so it fully gels. The later worked the best, because the honey can cause it to overheat and Only partially gel in the freezer.

I added bubble wrap to the bottom and top of my mold to look like Honey Comb.

I’ve been wanting to make a salt bar... seems like an easy recipe. Do salt bars really need to cure for many months though?
Yes, they really do! Although if you make the 80-20 version rather than 100% CO, you may be able to use them at 2-4 months, rather than 10-12.

I'd suggest making a batch of each right away, so you can start them curing right now. :)

I'd suggest making a batch of each right away, so you can start them curing right now. :)
Not sure why this made me laugh... Probably cause I was contemplating the same thing and mentally reviewing if I had all the ingredients!

This is a SUPER OLD THREAD so yes, I am necroposting. But I'm doing it to see if others have any interest in sharing their favorite recipes?
This Forum is called SOAP MAKING RECIPES & TUTORIALS.
This is just me but I think it's best to just let this thread die! LOL
I'd rather see each and every recipe in a separate thread all to itself with a Title like
Coffee Salt Bars - 20% SF.
A list of contents if you will, makes it easier to find a salt bar recipe by just going through the list rather than slogging through a thread that is already 2 pages long, contains 22 recipes, both soap and non-soap, and is sure to grow if it isn't stopped now.

Furthermore, the discussion of salt bars that took off (posts 26, 27, 28, 29) belongs in a separate thread. Posted here, it interrupts a member who might be searching this thread for a basic recipe like Trinity of Oils soap. So, it's just a suggestion, but I for one, would appreciate if each of you would post your recipes in a separate thread to make them easier for me to find in the future. ;)

There's no reason why folks cannot post their recipes in this thread if they wish to do so, as it is not against forum rules, so go ahead and feel free to post away. :) If someone is on the lookout for a specific recipe such as the Trinity of Oils recipe, the search function will bring it right up (just tried it and it came right up).

IrishLass :)

There's no reason why folks cannot post their recipes in this thread if they wish to do so, as it is not against forum rules, so go ahead and feel free to post away. :)
I totally agree. :thumbs: Just to be clear, I was stating an opinion for my sake, not in any way a command. I deeply apologize if it came across as such. :oops:

Yes, this is a good thread for any recipes. And most people like it this way. Of course, some may have a different preference that's okay too, but that's just a preference and not a rule.

This idea came about because one of our newer members @SoapDaddy70 was scouring the interwebs looking for some recipes.

Many of us experienced soapers here have already shared recipes in other threads; perhaps we could help out the newbies by putting them here, all in one place. But if no one else answers, I'm happy to let this post go back to sleep for the next 13 years. :)

Lard-Goatmilk-Oat-Shea Recipe - 5% SF
67% lard
18% CO or PKO
10% shea butter
5% castor oil

1 Tbsp PPO powdered goat milk (stick-blended thoroughly into oils)
1 Tbsp PPO colloidal oats (hydrated in some reserved liquid)
1 Tbsp PPO sugar (dissolved in lye liquid before adding the lye)

Optional:
1% sodium lactate added at trace
1 puff of tussah silk in lye liquid before adding lye.

Works well with water, vinegar, or aloe vera juice as the liquid. Best with at least 6 weeks of curing, and even better at 8-10 weeks. Very gentle on the skin and nice creamy lather. Batter is a creamy off-white (non-gelled) to light tan (gelled).

Use refrigerated brewed coffee for some or all of the lye liquid. It will stink when you add the lye, but the smell doesn't remain in the soap.

Optional: 1 Tbsp PPO finely ground coffee for extra scrubbiness and deodorizing.

Bring batter to medium trace, stir in salt, and immediately pour into cavity molds. These become super hard, super fast, so best not to use a loaf mold unless you can watch it like a hawk to cut before it is a block of stone.
Can these be used as hot process?

Can these be used as hot process?
Absolutely! You will want to use a higher water percentage for hot process, and you may want to reserve some of the water or goat milk to add after the cook. That way, the batter will stay more fluid and will be more pourable.

It will stink when you add the lye, but the smell doesn't remain in the soap.
Couldn’t sleep after getting home from work... so I got ingredients ready for this salt bar. I used all coffee and good gods... the smell! It was so much worse than the skunkiest (<—-that’s a word, even if spell check doesn’t agree) weed I’ve ever smelled & I work at an extended stay hotel so I’ve smelled some nasty skunky marijuana! I’d kick out a guest if this smell was coming from their room! I would’ve mixed outside but it’s 3:00am and the neighbors would’ve sent the police knocking on my door seeing me in my meth cooking protective gear! But now that I think about it ... meth cookers probably aren’t worrying about protective gear...😳🙄🤨🤓

I'm happy to add my recipes to the thread

Regular Soap
10% Cocoa Butter
20% Coconut Oil (natural)
20% Palm Oil (RSPO)
10% Shea Butter (natural)
35% Olive Oil
5% Castor Oil
1 tea Sodium Lactate PPO
1 tea Dispersed Kaolin Clay PPO
1 oz FO PPO (always check usage rates)

5% Super Fat
33% Lye Concentration

I use frozen Distilled Water to cut down on fumes and wait time. I cut the Shea Butter into small pieces and melt it in the residual heat to prevent any graininess. I usually soap around 100F or less, hand whisk to start and then blend in bursts to emulsion. Gives me plenty of play time. You can use the Heat Transfer Method to melt your hard oils/butters, but it cuts down on play time given that my recipe is 60% hard oils/butters.

Goat Milk Soap
21% Coconut Oil
21% Palm Oil (RSPO)
12% Shea Butter (natural)
41% Olive Oil
5% Castor Oil
1 tea Sodium Lactate PPO
1 tea Dispersed Kaolin Clay PPO
1 oz FO PPO (always check usage rates)

5% Super Fat
33% Lye Concentration

I freeze my Goat Milk and use an ice bath with a little added salt; I don't allow my GM Lye Solution to get above 70F. I have successfully used evaporated GM (mixed 50/50 with frozen distilled water), boxed GM, store GM and fresh GM; the evaporated GM will produce a light tan soap. If the room temperature is 75F+, you will want to refrigerate unless you want to gel your GMS (I don't). If you decided to gel, watch it carefully so it doesn't overheat.

Thanks, @TheGecko that's a great recipe! I've used something similar that has been very popular with family members. As I recall, you master-batch your lye with tussah silk, as well? Based on your advice, I tried that in my last master-batch and am very happy with the results. It's nice to have the silky feeling again, and still be using master-batched lye.

Latest posts

Back