The soap recipe thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't actually a soap recipe, but a solid lotion bar recipe I love:

Combine equal weight measures of the following:

sweet almond oil
coconut oil
cocoa butter
beeswax

then add Jasmine essential oil (absolute but blended 6% in Jojoba oil)

Here's a different recipe for lotion bars:

This makes 3 1 oz bars

1oz Sweet Almond Oil
1oz Beeswax
1/2 oz Shea Butter
1/2 oz Cocoa Butter

A pinch of Jojoba Sheres (for color if you want to add color, this is optional)
Melt down, cool for a few then add what ever fragrance you desire)

Goat’s Milk Loaf of Soap

Ingredients:

* 4 cups Goat’s Milk Soap Base
* 1/2 cup Whole Oatmeal
* 1 eye dropper Any scent

Directions

Melt Goat’s Milk Soap in Melter or Microwave oven, you’ll need 4 cups of Soap Base. I then put about a 1/4 cup of Whole Oatmeal (Quaker Oats) not instant in the bottom of a 2 lb. Aluminum Foil loaf pan. Pour soap base and then wait for about 2 minutes and then cover the top with the Whole Oatmeal. Wait several hours for soap to harden. Take out of tin loaf pan and slice soap. I like to cut the 1" each, should make about 7 slices of soap.

Problem Skin Soap

Ingredients:

* 1 lb Melt and Pour glycerin soap base
* 1/2 cup calendula flowers
* 10 drops geranium essential oil
* 1tsp ground rosemary
* 20 drops tea tree oil
* 10 drops vita. E

Directions

melt your glycerin soap base, in a double broiler, then when ready I put each ingredient in stirring behind each putting the calendula flowers last, then pour into my molds sometimes small bubbles form in the surface after pouring lightly mist with alcohol will take away the bubbles and make a smoother bar, These not only look good and smell good but will help with skin problems without drying out the skin. Have had great success with this with teens and breakouts.

Granulated Laundry Soap

2 1/2 quarts rain water
2 quarts grease, strained, melted and hot
1 can lye (probably 1 lb.)
3 T borax

Mix water, borax, and lye Take the Crisco and place it into an enamel ware pan and place on stove to melt and heat. Go outside for ventilation. Take the two cups of cold water and place into glass bowl and slowly add lye while stirring with a wooden spoon (use wood only). Add strained grease slowly. Remove from heat and leave in pot. Stir often during the first day. Allow two weeks to cure, stirring occasionally.

Coconut milk soap

* 25% Palm Oil
* 30% Olive Oil
* 30% Coconut Oil
* 5% Castor Oil
* 10% Canola Oil

For this two pound batch, I used:

* 4.6 oz. Palm
* 5.7 oz. Olive
* 5.4 oz. Coconut
* 1 oz. Castor
* 1.9 oz. Canola

along with:

* 2.7 oz. lye
* 5.4 oz. Coconut Milk
* .8 oz. Gardenia Fragrance Oil

Mint Swirl Avocado Oil Soap Recipe

37 ounces soybean oil
24 ounces coconut oil
16 ounces olive oil
8 ounces avocado oil
12 ounces lye crystals
24 ounces cold water
Temperatures between 90 and 100 degrees.

Add at light trace:
1 oz. spearmint essential oil (2 T.)
1/2 oz. peppermint essential oil (1 T.)
1/4 oz. eucalyptus essential oil (1/2 T.)

I just bought my peppermint and eucalyptus oils in the pharmacy section of a local market...pretty reasonable there compared to local sources of EOs like the health food store. If you mail order from a place like A Garden Eastward, you can probably beat these. After mixing in the essential oils at light trace and while the soap is thickening, but still rather pourable pour most of the soap into your large mold (this recipe didn't trace overly quick with the stick blender like some have). Leave about 1/8 or 1/10th of it in the pan.

To this, I added these, which were being kept warm and melted in a small measuring cup on the stove:

1/2 blue/green Crayola crayon
1/2 forest green Crayola crayon
A little bit of the original oils

Mix the coloring in thoroughly and well (I got a few bubbles in the soap while doing this with the blender) and drizzle this soap over the white soap in the mold, distributing it evenly over the top in back and forth motions. Then, take your spatula or a knife and run it back and forth through the soap, first one direction and then either in an opposite direction or on a diagonal. Try to reach the bottom and sides of your mold while doing this.

Popsicle Soaps

Ingredients:
Six 1" cubes of translucent soap base
2 popsicle sticks
Red, yellow, green & blue soap color chips
Popsicle molds
Fragrance Oil or Essential Oil (Choose type and amount you like)

Instructions:
This soap recipe is a fun one for the kids. Melt one cube of soap at a time for 15 seconds (in a microwave), don't let it boil. Add yellow color and fragrance. Stir thoroughly and pour into mold. Spritz with rubbing alcohol. Let set for five minutes or until a thick skin forms. Melt another cube and add red color and fragrance. Stir thoroughly and pour onto the first layer. Spritz with rubbing alcohol and let set. Melt another cube, color it with green and add fragrance. Pour over red layer. Spritz again. Insert the popsicle stick and hold until it will remain upright without support.

Old Fashioned Goatsmilk Soap Recipe

Ingredients:

12 oz. lard
1.5 lbs. coconut oil
1.5 lbs. avocado oil
11 oz. water
10 oz. lye
10 oz. goats milk
1 tablespoon dill weed-finely chopped
1 tablespoon anise e.o.
3 tablespoons fennel e.o.
1 1/2 teaspoons grapefruit seed extract

Instructions:

Measure all ingredients. Melt lard and coconut oil. Set aside. Add lye to water. Add avocado oil to melted lard/coconut oil. Cool both the lye and the oils to 95 degrees. Warm the goats milk to 95 degrees. When all temperatures match add the goats milk to the lye water and stir slightly, add milk/lye mixture to oils, stir with a stick blender until trace. Quickly add dill weed, essential ois and grapefruit seed extract. Mix slighly with stick blender. Pour into prepared molds. This recipe makes almost 6 pounds.*This soap is naturally antibacterial because of the anise and fennel essential oils.

Coconut Lime Scrub Soap Recipe

Ingredients:

Aloe vera melt and pour soap base: 2 pounds, cubed and melted
1 teaspoon green jojoba beads
1 oz Coconut Lime Verbena fragrance oil

Melt soap base and allow to cool slightly before adding jojoba beads. Add scent and stir gently to combine. Pour into waiting molds.

Yield: makes about 9 x 4 oz. bars.

Basic Hot Process Soap Recipe

Ingredients:

20 oz. Palm Oil
17 oz. Coconut Oil
16 oz. Safflower Oil
8 oz. Olive Oil
3 oz. Sweet Almond Oil
24 oz. Distilled Water
9 oz. Sodium Hydroxide

Instructions:

Follow basic hot process soap instructions. You can add any essential oils, botanicals, clays or other additives at trace or just before pouring into molds.

Chocolate-mint Soap

10oz shortening
4oz coconut oil
2oz olive oil
2.24 oz lye
6 ounces distilled water
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 droppers peppermint essential oil

Hold back one ounce olive oil to mix with the cocoa powder, melt the rest of the oils together. Mix the lye and water and allow to cool. With the lye mixture at 95* and the fats at 115* pour the lye into theoil and stir until it traces.pour into molds. unmold after 48 hours,and cut if needed. Allow to age 3 weeks.

Citrus Kitchen Soap

15 oz. Tepid water
5.8 oz. Lye
16 oz. Coconut oil
10 oz. Olive oil
2 oz. Aloe vera oil
2 oz. Castor oil
2 oz. Jojoba oil
2 oz. Wheatgerm oil
2 oz. Orange EO
1 oz. Lemon EO
½ oz. Grapefruit EO
½ oz. Lime EO
1 oz. Powdered lime zest

Blend water and lye. Cool to 100.Melt coconut oil. Add other oils. Heat or cool to 100. When temps match add the lye to the oil mix. Stir until soap traces. Add EO's and lime zest. Dry 24 hours.
Cure 2-4 weeks.

Citrus ZING Body Bar

Makes 2 pounds of soap.

Ingredients:

2 oz castor oil
2 oz cocoa butter
6 oz olive oil
2 oz coconut oil
6 oz palm oil
7 oz vegetable shortening
3.3 lye
8.5 water

Essential oils of grapefruit, tangerine, lemongrass (not lemon), and sweet orange.

Optional: finely ground dried citrus peel.

Directions:

Follow standard directions for soapmaking. Combine the oils and the lye/water solution at 100°F. Trace should come within 30 minutes. Add one teaspoon total of citrus essential oils at trace.

Optional: Add 2 tablespoons finely ground dried citrus peel at trace for gentle exfoliation and more citrus power.

Soap can be unmolded and sliced after 24 hours. Produces a mild and skin softening bar of medium hardness. Produces thick creamy, dense lather with a citrus ZING.

Cinnamon soap

64 oz. olive oil
40 oz. coconut oil
24 oz. palm oil
48 oz. water
500 grams sodium hydroxide

2 Tbs. Sweet Almond Oil
1 Tbs. Kukui Nut Oil

2 oz. cinnamon leaf essential oil
1 tsp. nutmeg essential oil
1 tsp. juniper berry essential oil
1 tsp. sweet orange essential oil

3 Tsp ground cinnamon

Just prior to trace reserve 1 cup of soap mixture. Mix with 3 Tsp of ground cinnamon to swirl across top after pouring into mold.

Incorporate Sweet Almond Oil and Kukui Nut Oil. Add blended essential oils slowly as the cinnamon leaf essential oil can accelerate trace.

Mold and swirl reserved soap mixture across top.

Makes 48 (approximately) 3.5 oz bars.

Oatmeal Cookie Soap

* 36 oz. Olive Oil
* 4 oz. Castor Oil
* 4 oz. Coconut Oil
* 6 oz. Sunflower Oil
* 2 oz. Cocoa Butter
* 6.67 oz. Lye
* 10.00 oz. Buttermilk (frozen in 1 oz. Cubes)
* 6.72 oz. Distilled Water
* ½ cup finely ground oatmeal
* ½ cup honey
* ½ tsp cinnamon essential oil
* ½ tsp clove bud oil
* 2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

1. All oils, lye, buttermilk and water are measured by weight.
2. Place all oils in a 5quart crock-pot. Turn heat on low.
3. Place buttermilk cubes and distilled water in a Rubbermaid pitcher. Place in a bowl of ice in sink. Slowly pour lye into pitcher while stirring. Stir until lye is dissolved.
4. When all oils are melted, slowly add lye solution.
5. Stir mixture until trace, and then place crock-pot into oven. Turn oven off.
6. Check mixture every 10 to 15 minutes and stir. If the soap mixture seems to be cooling too quickly, turn the oven back on for 5 minutes and then turn off again. You may need to do this once or twice.
7. After about 45 minutes to 1 hour the lye and oils should be fully saponified. I did the tongue test 2x. Yuck! The 1st time was a little too early and it DID sting my tongue. The 2nd time it was just soapy. Thank heavens.
8. Add the oatmeal and honey, then the essential oils and extract. Mix thoroughly.
9. Scoop soap into log mold(s). Bang the mold(s) on a counter or on the floor to eliminate air bubbles. Gently press top of soap with waxed paper and try to smooth.
10. After 12 to 24 hours, remove soap from mold and slice to desired size.

This is an easy soap, but a HUGE hit.

One or more (depending on how much you want to make) basic soap base, any of kind works, as long as it is hand-millable.

Clove EO
Cinnamon EO
Ground clove buds
Ground cinnamon

Melt the base and when it is cooled down (not hard yet though!)add the EO's and buds then poor into molds. It will be kind of pink if you add the ground cinnamon. Don't add alot becuase cinnamon can be slightly harsh.

I thought I would mention in the previous recipe with ground cinnamon and cloves, I add beeeswax and honey, and call it HONEY & SPICE soap.

Back