The Search for an Anti-Acne Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please never put oregano essential oil directly on the skin. It is a hot oil, and it will most definitely burn the skin. Any skin. Always use a carrier oil with oregano.
yes, he did it without a carrier oil which was why he dabbed it on each acne cyst once with a q-tip, not rubbing it in.
i wouldn't recommend anyone do what he did exactly, as everyone is different. it was just a reference as to how i know it works very well for acne/cystic acne specifically.
also the burning/tingling goes away after 10 minutes and he got used to it bc it was life changing for him, no more painfully waking up face stuck to his pillow, which was worth the burn to him. though i did make an oregano oil - coconut oil mixture for him to use, he chose to do it his way. this was years ago, i was probably 21 at the time, i'm 29 now and he is no longer with us. i just wanted to put out there that there are natural ways to go about getting rid of even the most stubborn cystic acne.
not saying others should try it just that it works and it would be good in soap though i don't know exact increments, unfortunately.

anyone who does want to try oregano oil for anything, of course do your own research first, never ever just take the word of a comment thread research it too.
if anyone finds a reliably sourced oregano oil soap recipe, please do share the love.
have a wonderful day all.. and sorry if i confused or upset anyone...

yes, he did it without a carrier oil which was why he dabbed it on each acne cyst once with a q-tip, not rubbing it in.
i wouldn't recommend anyone do what he did exactly, as everyone is different. it was just a reference as to how i know it works very well for acne/cystic acne specifically.
also the burning/tingling goes away after 10 minutes and he got used to it bc it was life changing for him, no more painfully waking up face stuck to his pillow, which was worth the burn to him. though i did make an oregano oil - coconut oil mixture for him to use, he chose to do it his way. this was years ago, i was probably 21 at the time, i'm 29 now and he is no longer with us. i just wanted to put out there that there are natural ways to go about getting rid of even the most stubborn cystic acne.
not saying others should try it just that it works and it would be good in soap though i don't know exact increments, unfortunately.

anyone who does want to try oregano oil for anything, of course do your own research first, never ever just take the word of a comment thread research it too.
if anyone finds a reliably sourced oregano oil soap recipe, please do share the love.
You certainly didn't upset me! I'm sorry if it came across that way.
I am always intrigued by alternate and not "recommended" methods. I would absolutely do my own research before taking steps that I wasn't sure about. I had not even considered oregano EOs, so without your comment I doubt that I would have. The company I buy my EOs from says that it can be used topically diluted in a carrier oil at 1% concentration, so I think someday I might try putting it in a soap recipe.

Here's some of the things I try to have my almost 15 year old daughter do: lots and lots of water, minimal to no sugar and sugar containing foods, change her pillowcase several times a week as the oils build up fast in the fabric, and try not to pick.
Oh, yes, I forgot about changing my pillowcase often. I sleep on each side only 2 nights, then I change it. I think that must make a difference since whatever organism is creating the problem is all over that pillowcase. Good catch!

I know I wrote this in another thread, but I am going to repeat it here. I am 70 years old with sensitive dry skin, and about 2-3 years ago, I developed cystic acne around my mouth, chin, nose. It is called perioral acne. It preceded the pandemic by several months, so it wasn't caused by wearing a mask during the pandemic. Anyway, there are lots of things that can cause it, so I began trying them all, one at a time. (In fact, changing toothpaste, eating acidic foods, etc. can cause this in some people, and I have found that many toothpastes will make me break out.) Nothing I had done got rid of it. I went to the dermatologist, knowing she had little to offer me in the way of a "cure", but I wanted to get her advice. (I should say at this point that I am an advanced practice nurse, and I had done lots of research into this problem. What helps one person doesn't necessarily help another.) She didn't have any recommendations that I had not tried. In further research, I found that some people saw real improvement by using a face wash with salicyclic acid, so I bought a kit from Exposed Skincare and tried it. It comes with a SA face wash, SA toner, benzoyl peroxide cream, SA gel, and moisturizer. I thought this would give me several products to try in combination to see which combo might help. It took about a month to see improvement and then in another month, it was gone. I had totally clear skin again!

Through experimentation, I figured out that the SA face wash, SA toner, and benzoyl peroxide cream was what cleared my skin. I did not buy another kit, and I still have some product left from the first kit I bought. I now use only CeraVe Renewing Face Wash with Salicylic Acid on my face, and it has remained clear for the most part. When I have a minor flare, I use the benzoyl peroxide cream on that area, and it goes away quickly. I found using SA wash to be a minor miracle for my skin. The CeraVe does not dry my skin, but it makes it clear and smooth as a baby's butt. It is difficult to find in stores, so I order it from Target online. A bottle of it lasts forever. I am not affiliated with Exposed Skincare or CeraVe, so this is not a commercial announcement!

Most adult acne is caused by a fungal infection and/or an allergic reaction (frequently food). Use Nizoral AD (active ingredient ketocanazole). Use as a face "mask" up to 5 minutes a day. The other anti-dandruff/anti-fungal products are junk that only help enough so a person can never stop using them.
Keep a food log. Some foods take a few days to cause a reaction. Corn is my trigger, but my breakout is on my neck.
I have to eat USDA Organic (Costco cheapest for this food). Crops have become so heavily sprayed versus the level 20 years ago. I have zero autoimmune issues when I am 100% USDA Organic with food. If I eat "regular" food, I am unable to get out of bed, walk, or cognitively function. Food products must have the USDA Organic Seal on the package or they are still junk. Anything labeled "organic" or "natural" is still heavily sprayed with pesticides and herbicides.
I hope this helps you.

Not upset, but I’m very concerned about the oregano oil. I love oregano oil - it is fantastic for a great many things, and it has antifungal properties. Everyone should do research. I’ll venture to guess that it will be found that pure oregano oil will burn the skin. It might have worked on the acne, but it also could have caused long-term damage. Knowing what I know, I think it would burn just about anyone, and I would never want to put it into any soap I’d put on my body. I think that would burn like fire. I know this because it’s happened to me before, and I wouldn’t want to endure that amount of burning for any amount of time. It is quite painful.
There are other essential oils that have similar antifungal properties, but that are much more soothing to the skin and won’t burn the way oregano oil does. Tea tree (melaleuca) oil is one of them. Lavender is another. Even rosemary or marjoram would work, and they wouldn’t be as hot as oregano. Definitely do some research on oils, as they can burn and cause harm.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

...Yes, mild cleansing for inflamed skin. Gentle clay masks and appropriate essential oils are fabulous for spotty faces and reducing inflammation.
I understand why people have trouble deciding to remove dairy from their diets, it's in most everything we buy, it's delicious !
As a teen I was sometimes sad and frustrated at the sacrifices I needed to make - EVERYONE went out for pizza.
I can honestly say that removing dairy and whey/ milk protein from my diet has always been a struggle. Every once in a while I crave a fully loaded pizza with extra cheese or a really yummy cheesy lasagna. It is a 'calculated risk' when I do indulge and my skin and body pays for it 🤯
I am also allergic to the casine, it causes stuffed up sinuses bruising around the eye, ( dark circles) I know this because when I was in Zurich 6 years ago, I was in the factory outside of Zurich, and bought 84 francs worth of Ghirardelli/ Lindt chocolate for gifts and also for myself. I thought my head was going to explode on the flight back to Toronto,ON. When covering up my dark under eyes I noticed that I had the obvious signs of bruising ( I had yellow marks a week later). Bruises change color as they heal from dark purple to green and yellow after the bruise is almost healed. I was shocked! I can only imagine what it is doing to the rest of my body. So..... It's a calculated risk for me. From bad skin breakouts, hot flashes to dark under eye circles...I personally have to pick my battles.

Love and light

Latest posts

Back