The results of my oil infusions :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
I decided to check on my infused oils, to see what kind of depth the oils have picked up after heat infusion last night, cooling overnight, and sitting today. I'm quite happy with how saturated some of the oils have become.

Some aren't as deep as I had hoped (chamomile) and some look a little muddy still, but I think it's the nature of the botanicals causing it and I may need to heat them for longer. Some are so saturated that when I shake the bottle and let the oil settle, the sides are coated with a stunning slick of colored oil that looks like stained glass to me.

I wish I had a light table or better camera, because these photos don't do these oils justice, unfortunately. I'm excited and now have to see what other botanicals I can find to infuse. I'm very open to suggestions on what to try and info on where to get them :)

Spirulina - I'm so stoked about how rich the color in this oil is. The oil coating the glass is beautiful green blue :)
uploadfromtaptalk1444980074948.jpg
Alkanet - This one has me super excited because that oil coating the glass is such a rich purple that it looks like grape juice LOL
uploadfromtaptalk1444980153614.jpg
Madder - The depth of color on this one is nuts too, it looks like a cabernet or merlot! uploadfromtaptalk1444980212994.jpg
Paprika - What an insanely deep red orange this turned out to be! I'm super stoked :) uploadfromtaptalk1444980280495.jpg
Turmeric - That is gonna make some seriously pretty lemon and butter yellows :)uploadfromtaptalk1444980332658.jpg
Cinnamon - It's actually a lovely amber color, but I couldn't get a clear enough picture grrr uploadfromtaptalk1444980398801.jpg
Safflower - a more yellow orange than the paprika and very saturated but was hard to get a good pic sigh uploadfromtaptalk1444980418236.jpg

Well done, they look great. What oil did you infuse them in? I've used OO & RBO before, and just yesterday used Sunflower for an infusion of ginger, cayenne, chilli & cinnamon. It is sooooo dark now, and smells amazing.

Well done, they look great. What oil did you infuse them in? I've used OO & RBO before, and just yesterday used Sunflower for an infusion of ginger, cayenne, chilli & cinnamon. It is sooooo dark now, and smells amazing.

TY :) I used safflower for all of them. I wanted a very pale, almost colorless oil that was as thin as possible. And I wanted them all done in the same oil so I don't have to do the adjustments and math for more than one oil LOL

Beautiful! Stunning colours. Can't wait to see the soaps.

I was thinking of trying Cranberry and cherry. Does anyone know if they morph to brown in soap?

Last edited:
Those are gorgeous. Wow that first one is so pretty! I am surprised that you can use cinnamon in soap. I thought that was irritating.

Nicely done! Gorgeous colors. Can't wait to see them in some soaps!
I have a few infused oils going as well. Cinnamon and coffee are turning out wonderfully, but my hibiscus flowers haven't really done much.

Nicely done! Gorgeous colors. Can't wait to see them in some soaps!
I have a few infused oils going as well. Cinnamon and coffee are turning out wonderfully, but my hibiscus flowers haven't really done much.

Me too and I've got some soaps planned :)

What will you do with it once it's dehydrated?

I will grind it into a powder and then make an oil infusion.

Some people use watermelon as a puree and use it instead of water. But then you can't store it as easily as a powder or oil. Although you can freeze it. And you have to add it to your entire batch, I think.

I haven't found a comparison between the two methods. Have you?
Theoretically the powder infused in oil can be more accurately measured and adjusted for colour intensity, I think.

Last edited:
It's worth dehydrating watermelon just for the scent! Lovely. I took off the rind and cut a 1/4 of a watermelon into 3mm thick slices (very thin and very even). One piece was a broken chunk that was 6mm thick and isn't drying so well.

Thanks for sharing your oil infusions, I have had great success with Paprika infused oil (2 tablespoons in 150ml ) Here is a picture. The pink one: I added oil plus paprika to my oils and did not strain it first. I also used Rooibos Tea as the water, I think this helped with the color. The second soap is a more orange color, this time I strained the infusion through cheesecloth before adding to my oils and I used rose geranium hydrosol for my water. As the infusion was strained it is a much smoother color. I have not tried to recreate these colors yet but will try soon, especially to see if the pink was due to the combination with Rooibos tea. They both had different essential oils, so maybe these also affected the colour? I will definitely strain through cheesecloth next time although I did lose some oil in this process.ImageUploadedBySoap Making1445089781.226686.jpg

Has anyone else had different colour variations with Paprika oil infusion soap?

GraceDarlingSoaps

Back