The range of INS is 136-165.

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

myummeen

Reaction score
Can INS value be greater than 160? According to my recipe is 258.

Weight of oil=22936g
Let concentration=33.5%
Superfat=5%

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course it can. But what you are asking is really, is 258 INS okay, right? INS alone is not an ideal indicator that the soap formula is good or bad. Remember that what one person calls ideal is not the same for another person, so many soapers don't even bother with the INS number, although others do at least take it into account.

For more about INS number, see this article by DeeAnna: Iodine Number and INS | Soapy Stuff

And this: The Role of Iodine in Soap Making (Iodine Value and INS) » RusticWise

First, let me just clarify: Are we talking about bar soap (solid soap)? I am writing my response on the assumption that we are, but if not, please clarify. Also for what purpose is this soap? I am assuming it is for washing human skin (not as a laundry soap, which would require a completely different response.)

Your INS number tells me the soap will be a very hard bar of soap and that possibly your only oil in this soap is Coconut Oil. There are other 'oils' listed (link) that have a higher INS, but they are less commonly used by artisan soapers who make bar soap, so I suspect your soap is made only with CO. Even if you use a couple of the other oils with higher INS values (like Fx CO or Lauric Acid), and a lesser one, the soap would not be balanced enough to bring down that excessive cleansing value that tends to strip the moisture from human skin when washing. 5% is a very low superfat for a highly cleansing bar of soap such as one with an INS value of 258.

I tried to come up with a soap recipe with the information you listed in your post, and I don't find anything that I would expect to make good soap for my skin at 5% superfat.
Can INS value be greater than 160? According to my recipe is 258.

Weight of oil=22936g
Let concentration=33.5%
Superfat=5%

Potentially you could offset the 324 INS of Fractionated Coconut Oil by using Flax Seed Oil, but the resulting bar would still be very harsh, with an 80 cleansing number (in order to get 258, I plugged in FxCO at 79.5% and Flax Seed Oil at 20.5%). And not many soap makers use FxCO in bar soap (I have done, but not normally) and Flax Seed oil isn't used in bar soap very often either, and when done, rarely at such large proportions as I listed due to its very short shelf life as well as its cost.

To summarize, yes a soap can have a higher INS number. Does it tell me if the soap is good or not? That in and of itself does not.

But you CAN change the SF number to improve the bar of soap with this high cleansing number and you may find that more people's skin would like it much better. For example, if it is a 100% CO oil soap, many people absolutely love salt bars, so just increasing the SF and adding salt can give you a totally different result that many people actually love.

If you change this recipe to a 20% SF and add a bunch of salt (example: a 1:1 salt to oils ratio, added when at medium to thick trace) and turn it into a salt bar, there are many people who swear by salt bars as fabulous. It would still have the same INS number.

Incidentally, the INS number does not change with a changing SF.

myummeen

Reaction score
Thanks so much for this understandable explanation. Yes I mean laundry bar soap (for washing clothes) and the coconut oil is 100%. Please I need more from you as I can see the soap will be very good but the quantity of the soap is very small.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for this understandable explanation. Yes I mean laundry bar soap (for washing clothes) and the coconut oil is 100%. Please I need more from you as I can see the soap will be very good but the quantity of the soap is very small.

That helps a lot to know it is for laundry and not for body washing. In that case, I'd make it with 0% superfat. There is not reason to add extra fat to dirty laundry, right? Unless you plan to do the laundy bare-handed, which I would not advise anyway.

What more do you need to know?

The quality of the soap for use with laundry is fine, IMO, as long as you lower the SF value, although you can still use it if it is already made. How do you plan to use it? Are you going to grate it up or pulverize it into a powder? Assuming you made it as a bar soap. I have done that before, as have many other soapmakers. Some turn it into a liquid later, but I did not do that, although I did make laundry butter (like a whipped soap) out of it and used it that way for a long time.

I finally stopped making laundry soap, though because it just no longer seemed worth the trouble for me. It's so much work pulverizing bar soap and I decided at my age to only make soap I enjoy making, so I tend to stick to making soaps for bathing and pretty ones when I can.

myummeen

Reaction score
T
That helps a lot to know it is for laundry and not for body washing. In that case, I'd make it with 0% superfat. There is not reason to add extra fat to dirty laundry, right? Unless you plan to do the laundy bare-handed, which I would not advise anyway.

What more do you need to know?

The quality of the soap for use with laundry is fine, IMO, as long as you lower the SF value, although you can still use it if it is already made. How do you plan to use it? Are you going to grate it up or pulverize it into a powder? Assuming you made it as a bar soap. I have done that before, as have many other soapmakers. Some turn it into a liquid later, but I did not do that, although I did make laundry butter (like a whipped soap) out of it and used it that way for a long time.

I finally stopped making laundry soap, though because it just no longer seemed worth the trouble for me. It's so much work pulverizing bar soap and I decided at my age to only make soap I enjoy making, so I tend to stick to making soaps for bathing and pretty ones when I can.
Thanks really appreciated

Latest posts