The power of soapy bribery!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our kid goes to a fantastic school, and I love to hand out soaps to staff to show appreciation, especially the woman at the desk who can deal with a phone call, a parent with questions, and a kid's bloody nose all at the same time. Her family all had eczema - until they started using my soaps. Bye-bye Cetaphil.

With apologies to Newbie (I owe her some high/water soap with pictures),
I made 2 batches of salt bars instead (feeling pressured to get these cured For Christmas).

I'm completely ignorant of Lush fragrances so had to try my first Lush dupe from Nurture - Amandopodo. Label says it accelerates, may cause ricing. I like to use accelerators in salt bars.

Wish I had known it was a floral. Wish I'd read the details on the website that said it was recommended for m&p or hp.

If you have a bottle of Amandopodo at your house - memorize that
label - it doesn't lie! Ricing? Not quite. Rice balls? Yes! Acceleration? In
10 minutes I could tell this thing was going to need to be cut in an hour! Except I'll be sitting in the pickup line at school in an hour.

That means - either I sacrifice the soap or get the kid out of school early.

Every soaper knows that a soap acceleration emergency should be on the State's list of approved reasons for early dismissal, right? But the educational system?

Armed with a fresh supply of soaps - I throw some at the school's traffic guard who keeps my parking space clear so I can easily get back out. (California doesn't bus students)
Then hand the woman at the desk a lb of her favorite NG Orange and sweet chili pepper, explain the soap emergency and boom! Home in an hour and cutting the soap - not a moment too soon.

That my soapy friends, is the power of good handmade soap.

I don't see myself going that far though it's not above my mom and sister if they had the skills. I tend to like florals so that FO sounds interesting indeed. Still, It's nice to know your dilemma worked out in the end. I probably would have used individual molds if I used that FO.

I don't see myself going that far though it's not above my mom and sister if they had the skills. I tend to like florals so that FO sounds interesting indeed. Still, It's nice to know your dilemma worked out in the end. I probably would have used individual molds if I used that FO.

You know, normally I wouldn't either - at least for a fragrance I didn't know if I liked or not. So I got into that mess accidentally. And the individual molds....I doubt there would have been time to fill them before the soap set up like concrete. But, next time I should at least keep my individual within arms reach should I find the need to switch from a loaf.

Our kid goes to a fantastic school, and I love to hand out soaps to staff to show appreciation, especially the woman at the desk who can deal with a phone call, a parent with questions, and a kid's bloody nose all at the same time. Her family all had eczema - until they started using my soaps. Bye-bye Cetaphil.

With apologies to Newbie (I owe her some high/water soap with pictures),
I made 2 batches of salt bars instead (feeling pressured to get these cured For Christmas).

I'm completely ignorant of Lush fragrances so had to try my first Lush dupe from Nurture - Amandopodo. Label says it accelerates, may cause ricing. I like to use accelerators in salt bars.

Wish I had known it was a floral. Wish I'd read the details on the website that said it was recommended for m&p or hp.

If you have a bottle of Amandopodo at your house - memorize that
label - it doesn't lie! Ricing? Not quite. Rice balls? Yes! Acceleration? In
10 minutes I could tell this thing was going to need to be cut in an hour! Except I'll be sitting in the pickup line at school in an hour.

That means - either I sacrifice the soap or get the kid out of school early.

Every soaper knows that a soap acceleration emergency should be on the State's list of approved reasons for early dismissal, right? But the educational system?

Armed with a fresh supply of soaps - I throw some at the school's traffic guard who keeps my parking space clear so I can easily get back out. (California doesn't bus students)
Then hand the woman at the desk a lb of her favorite NG Orange and sweet chili pepper, explain the soap emergency and boom! Home in an hour and cutting the soap - not a moment too soon.

That my soapy friends, is the power of good handmade soap.
We have School Buses in Whittier for all grade levels. I get all my fruit and veggies from my markets with soaps!

I moved away from CA in 2005; I had not realized that had happened!

Impressive bribery. LOL

LOL! Thanks! But it speaks as much to the quality of the school and its staff as to my bribes. They are simply phenomenal and go above and beyond for the students. So I make sure to thank them often.

Hmmm...wait...letting a kid out of school 15 minutes early without a proper reason is a good thing??? The truth is I knew that the last 15 minutes of school are finishing up closing circle, tidying up room and gathering backpacks, so no instruction was missed.

Bussing ended about 10 years ago I think, and what a reduction in quality of life it creates. We live near a different school - one built for 270 students and it has almost 900 now. Parents drive so carelessly - endangering people, blocking driveways, denting my car, hitting mailboxes..etc.

But imagine having 3 kids at 3 different schools: elementary, middle and high school. You'll likely be spending 45 minutes morning and night transporting kids. I spend 20 minutes sitting in a parked car to get our student, then have to wait to have space to get out of the parking lot!

We have School Buses in Whittier for all grade levels. I get all my fruit and veggies from my markets with soaps!

What, really? Do the families have to pay for it? Or maybe you're not in Orange County? I'm in North County and no one in all of San Diego county has bussing except for kids with special needs.

That is insane! What about the working parents that cannot get their kids to and from school because they are working. Or the parents that don't have vehicles? Oh my gosh. That is insane. Do you have a public transportation system in your area? I know not a whole lot of cities have them. Very few, from what I'm understanding.

I grew up in Philadelphia, we had public transportation and the kids had "school tokens" for the SEPTA system. They were free to public school students (private school kids had to pay for them, though). Some schools bused their kids, but that was mostly after "forced integration." That's when they took kids from predominantly black neighborhoods to predominantly white neighborhoods and vice versa to "even" out the disparaging numbers of minorities to non-minorities in wealthy school districts. I'm showing my age. Forced integration was a LONG time ago.

My niece and nephews were lucky. They didn't learn much at school, but they are all color and sexuality indifferent. They don't care what color you are or who you sleep with. One nephew is married to an African American girl, my niece mostly dates brown men, my oldest only likes "fat" girls, and the little one loves all kinds of girls. (I'll bet he ends up with a tiny Asian. I'm not being racist. I'm being serious.) I am so proud of my sister's little demon spawn. :thumbup:

That is insane! What about the working parents that cannot get their kids to and from school because they are working. Or the parents that don't have vehicles? Oh my gosh. That is insane. Do you have a public transportation system in your area? I know not a whole lot of cities have them. Very few, from what I'm understanding.

You hit the nail on the head; we have quite a disparity between income levels around here. Our girl's school is mostly chapter one so imagine a lot of blue collar or parents who work 2 or more jobs trying to get kids to their school - most of which start after 8 am. There are before and after care programs - and they are always quickly filled. But the poor kids are often at school an hour or 2 before they need to be, instead of sleeping.

There are city buses, but I don't need to tell you how much time that can take to travel a short distance.

But it's also bizarre how much carpooling doesn't happen here. Even the schools don't initiate carpool groups.

Back