The Plant Guru

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudzNDudz

Reaction score
Hello There!

I'm new to the forum. I wish I had found this site sooner! So, I've been soaping for 6 months now and it has been quite the journey. Has anyone tried fragrance oil from The Plant Guru on Etsy? It seems that all of the fragrances I've used from them are seizing my batches. I have soaped at full water, decreased my water, soaped cool. I did overstock blend in the beginning, but I have a handle on that now. Debating if I should try another company?

Oh, this would be for cold processed soap.

I'm not from the US, but The Plant Guru is not one of the companies I hear about on here. People mention Nature's Garden, Brambleberry, Nurture to name a few. Have a look through some of the threads on this forum and see what companies they mention.

Plant Guru is expensive. I use mostly Natures Garden and Wholesale Supplies Plus though I've started buying from Waxy Flower and Midwest Fragrance Company too. I did try the Petrichor from Little Bee and it really does smell like petrichor, but it accelerated FAST

Also - whoever you buy from, make sure you read the reviews from customers about the FO and its performance in CP soap. If they have no reviews - don't buy it! Good companies will have a truckload of reviews and you can see how well it has worked for other soapers. Even if the company itself has a 'soap performance' review that they have conducted themselves, it still pays to read the customer reviews because often their experience is different.

Plant Guru is expensive. I use mostly Natures Garden and Wholesale Supplies Plus though I've started buying from Waxy Flower and Midwest Fragrance Company too. I did try the Petrichor from Little Bee and it really does smell like petrichor, but it accelerated FAST
Thanks. I thought they were cheap. We'll, I will have to shop around.

Also - whoever you buy from, make sure you read the reviews from customers about the FO and its performance in CP soap. If they have no reviews - don't buy it! Good companies will have a truckload of reviews and you can see how well it has worked for other soapers. Even if the company itself has a 'soap performance' review that they have conducted themselves, it still pays to read the customer reviews because often their experience is different.
They were all good reviews. Not sure if etsy posts good reviews only. I have never seen a bad one listed for Plant Guru.

ood reviews. Not sure if etsy posts good reviews only. I have never seen a bad one listed for Plant Guru.
They do have mostly good reviews. I bought some shea from them and it had alot of dirt in it, and it changed color to an odd brown tint after a month or so, so I won't be doing that again.

I took a look and I think the prices seem about normal. And I think there is free shipping. I’d give them a try.

ETA: I was looking at the EOs. If there is a problem with the FOs, I'd look elsewhere for those.

Last edited:
They do have mostly good reviews. I bought some shea from them and it had alot of dirt in it, and it changed color to an odd brown tint after a month or so, so I won't be doing that again.
Funny you say that. I bought Shea as well and it did look different from the last one I bought. The texture seems easier to spread. When my oils were melted, I noticed a slight white foam on top. I think they may be a cutting it with something else.

Funny you say that. I bought Shea as well and it did look different from the last one I bought. The texture seems easier to spread. When my oils were melted, I noticed a slight white foam on top. I think they may be a cutting it with something else.
I don't know that is necessarily the case. Unrefined shea butter is softer and can vary in color from ivory to beige, and will have some odor (I find pleasant but many people don't care for it). Shea that is refined and deodorized is white and harder.

I don't know that is necessarily the case. Unrefined shea butter is softer and can vary in color from ivory to beige, and will have some odor (I find pleasant but many people don't care for it). Shea that is refined and deodorized is white and harder.
I hope that is not the case at all. I actually love their shea and the natural scent. Just not sure of this film on top... my oils are usually golden.

The thing is, it went from this beautiful ivory to changing to a really light brown/ivory. It didn't look good at all. And every time I used it I had to put it through a cheese cloth to ensure the dirt was all caught before it went into the soap. I bought some over amazon from essential depot and it's still just the gorgeous color and scent I bought it.

Back