The most beautiful packaging/labels I've seen

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenny92

Reaction score
This may be better off in the Photo Gallery, but I wasn't sure - admin, feel free to move if so.

I came across Maple Soaps on Instagram, and I am just absolutely, stupidly in LOVE with their packaging. It's so simple but so beautiful and elegant. I love the different patterned paper they use for each "flavour", and the super simple, gorgeous font that scrawls across the whole label.

The soaps themselves are pretty simple/rustic, but it goes to show that packaging really does make a huge impact on how well your product sells - these sell for $15 AU each! And by the looks of it, they're doing very, very well.

There is lots of beautiful photography and inspiration on their Instagram - I've been stalking it for days in an effort to improve my product photography.

http://maplesoapscom/
https://instagramcom/maplesoaps/
fullsizerender_1.jpg

fullsizerender_3.jpg

fullsizerender1.jpg

fullsizerender_11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. Although that label is okay, to me it is certainly not the best I've seen.

Very simple, yet quite elegant and pretty to my eyes. The only thing I can think of to improve upon them would be to use decorative paper that matched the scents better.

IrishLass :)

That caught my eye too, IL. I love the cigar band but not the paper. I'd get rid of the paper all together and go with clear shrink wrap. I like to see the soap I'm buying.

It's nice, but it looks like two labels. Also, is it up to legal standards? I'm sure we'd all go much simpler if we were allowed to.

I have always loved a beautifully wrapped soap, but always felt let down once it was opened and the wrapper was gone. The soap is so plain in comparison that it seems to me they are selling packaging, not soap.

I'm with spenny; I think they're gorgeous. Love the script and the textured paper.

I have always loved a beautifully wrapped soap, but always felt let down once it was opened and the wrapper was gone. The soap is so plain in comparison that it seems to me they are selling packaging, not soap.

True, I'd want to keep the soap in its packaging as an ornament as the soap itself is very plain. But hey, if people are willing to pay $15 for packaging then so be it.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. Although that label is okay, to me it is certainly not the best I've seen.

Yup, horses for courses as they say.

Maybe I'm just the demographic they're aiming for!

It's nice, but it looks like two labels. Also, is it up to legal standards? I'm sure we'd all go much simpler if we were allowed to.

It's an Australian company, so I'm not sure what the regs are there but I'd hope that they are conforming to them. I'm sure the ingredients and other information is on the back.

That is so true, w/everything visual. There are some kinds of aesthetics I do not like at all, I'm sure the people who do think *I* have crap taste :)

I like your label a lot, better than this one. I wish you would do a tutorial on it for us would-be label makers.

Gosh - thanks NA, that's quite the compliment. I wouldn't know where to start with a tutorial, there really isn't much to it at all (that doesn't even make sense, does it?). I just spent some time aligning everything to the shape/size of my soap bars and then drew it up in Open Office Draw. It took a good few attempts to get the sizing and spacing of everything just right - ie, so the ingredients were centered on the back of the label. I think the rest of it - fonts, colours, etc - are personal preference, really. But if I can do it, anyone can!

I totally agree with you N_A, would love someone on here to do a tutorial on labels, it's something I am really struggling with. I have Printmaster and still can't figure it all out, but then again I am 'special' when it comes to techie things!

Also I agree that your labels look great Spenny, well done.

Last edited:
Gosh - thanks NA, that's quite the compliment. I wouldn't know where to start with a tutorial, there really isn't much to it at all (that doesn't even make sense, does it?). I just spent some time aligning everything to the shape/size of my soap bars and then drew it up in Open Office Draw. It took a good few attempts to get the sizing and spacing of everything just right - ie, so the ingredients were centered on the back of the label. I think the rest of it - fonts, colours, etc - are personal preference, really. But if I can do it, anyone can!

Is Open Office Draw part of Open Office, or is it something separate? I'm looking for a new program to make my labels, and I'm dreading it. I bought a new computer months ago, but have not set it up yet, because I am going to lose Picture It, a dinky little program that came with my first computer, and runs on WinXP. I have used this program since I started selling soap, I know it inside and out, it does what I need it to do, and there's no program comparable to it for ease of use and what it will let me do. I put SO many hours into my labels, tweaking, tweaking, tweaking. Not that they're any great work of art, but you know how it is, trying to get them to look like you see them in your mind can take a lot of time. I dread starting over again from scratch with a new program. I've used Open Office, I think I could deal with it, maybe. I've been putting this off for way too long, I know I need to bite the bullet and make a change, but I love that little program so much, it's hard to let go. :-(

I use a bunch of different programs for label making including Microsoft Word and Photoshop. I don't sell but I do like to label and package the soaps I give away. I've found that if you are doing just regular square/rectangle labels, it is sometimes easier to do on Microsoft Word. Save it as a pdf, then use Photoshop and open the PDF in Photoshop which will just convert and then you can put multiples onto one page. I print onto a whole sheet label and then use my paper cutter to cut to size.

I also do a coffee cup sleeve type label for my cup/drink shaped soaps. That was a bit more difficult and I had to use AutoCad to get the curvature and angle correct so that when I cut it out, it would wrap snuggly around the cup. To do the wording, I actually used Word and used the wordart function to curve the letters along the sleeve. It's not perfect, but it works. I haven't had the time to sit on Photoshop to really perfect my coffee sleeve label but it works for now.

I know my labels aren't up to regulations for selling but I don't think it matters too much if I'm just giving away to friends and family. I figured I'd post an example of the drink soap label. This was a quick gift set I put together for a friend who was going to backpack through Europe.

ETA: And I just noticed I should have put potassium hydroxide instead of sodium for the shave soap. This is why I shouldn't make labels at 2AM lol! Good thing I don't sell.

image1 (3).jpg

Last edited:
Vmakkers, what a nice job you did! I think I'm going to try Word, at least it's always there. But I seriously hate that you can lose a program you love, when you have to upgrade to a new OS. I'd gladly just hang onto my old computer and use it, but I got it in 2002, and the hard drive has been on it's last legs for years, and I know one day it's just going to crash, and I'll be out of luck, so I'd better learn to use something new for my labels before I'm left high and dry in the middle of busy season. Thanks for your input!

Is Open Office Draw part of Open Office, or is it something separate? I'm looking for a new program to make my labels, and I'm dreading it. I bought a new computer months ago, but have not set it up yet, because I am going to lose Picture It, a dinky little program that came with my first computer, and runs on WinXP. I have used this program since I started selling soap, I know it inside and out, it does what I need it to do, and there's no program comparable to it for ease of use and what it will let me do. I put SO many hours into my labels, tweaking, tweaking, tweaking. Not that they're any great work of art, but you know how it is, trying to get them to look like you see them in your mind can take a lot of time. I dread starting over again from scratch with a new program. I've used Open Office, I think I could deal with it, maybe. I've been putting this off for way too long, I know I need to bite the bullet and make a change, but I love that little program so much, it's hard to let go. :-(

Yup, Draw is a part of Open Office. I think it's equivalent to Microsoft Publisher. I find it very simple and easy to use, but with much more flexibility than a word processing program. In Draw, you can add text, move it around, rotate it, add images, move them easily to wherever you want them - I find that difficult to do in Word. It's also easy to just drag to resize things. What I do to make a cigar band template is use the rulers at the sides and top to measure out the width and length that I want them, them just drag text and images around to where I'd like them. Once I have the whole label there, I copy and paste it 5-6 times so I have a page full of labels ready to print out.

It's honestly so easy to use, and free, so I think it's worth a shot. :)

Vmakkers, what a nice job you did! I think I'm going to try Word, at least it's always there. But I seriously hate that you can lose a program you love, when you have to upgrade to a new OS. I'd gladly just hang onto my old computer and use it, but I got it in 2002, and the hard drive has been on it's last legs for years, and I know one day it's just going to crash, and I'll be out of luck, so I'd better learn to use something new for my labels before I'm left high and dry in the middle of busy season. Thanks for your input!

I've had a lot of success with Word. Basically using tables. It's the only program I've used for labels thus far and I've been pretty happy with what I've been able to do.

@vmakkers totally off the topic: now I feel like taking a jog towards starbucks...Your soap looks really yummy.:clap:

As for the australian soap packaging, it looks beautiful, like the botanical illustrations a lot, but some scents are really hard to read, almost impossible

Last edited:
I think they are pretty too! I love the font. The floral paper reminds me of my packaging. Except i use repurposed fabric.

I've had the idea to change my label on the back burner for a while now. And this thread inspired me a bit!

Let me know what you think!

Happyhomesoapco.etsy.com

Back