The joy of soap mold lining...NOT!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So many smiles from this thread, thanks everyone. I moved from silicone to freezer paper/ wood molds. Now never thought about making a template, wow, that would be even easier yet.

I use this plastic cutting mat from dollar trees. It comes 2 in a pack. I just cut it to fit in my oval and circular pvc mold. I'm going to use it to make a liner for the pine box soon. It cleans up really well also. And it is reusable.

Cheers!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 27
Think ill have a look for videos on how to fold liners for slab molds iv just setup my microwave in my soaping room aka my spare bedroom so i could always learn and fold while im heating the oils up would give me something to do to keep my hands busy.

Here's one of the videos I thought was really helpful. The same lady has a video on lining a soap mould using exactly the same method but the video is almost twice as long which seemed rather boring watching her do it twice. This is the method I always use now.

Here's one of the videos I thought was really helpful. The same lady has a video on lining a soap mould using exactly the same method but the video is almost twice as long which seemed rather boring watching her do it twice. This is the method I always use now.

Awesome thank you :)

I used to hate lining the moulds with paper until I saw a video on how to fold the paper to fit and now I find it so quick and easy that I have stopped considering making the move to silicone liners.

Oh thou, so blessed with talent and the manual dexterity of a late teen video gamer, I suffer the sin of envy. :(
I have watched so many videos with so many "easiest soap mold lining technique EVER" that I want to scream. The bread bags work but are of limited size but I'm tempted to try paper again. Perhaps the 478th time will be a charm and lead to lining perfection. Hope reigns eternal! :)

I just cut two pieces for my molds that don't have liners. One the length and one the width with extra to secure to the sides. I make multiples and keep them stored in a box. I don't have time to fold and fit nor the patience. I rarely get any soap leakage and if I do it's minimal. I too tried all those videos. No luck.

However, the flimsy cutting boards do work well, Cut to fit the sides and bottom, tape together and fit into mold. They are good for quite a lot of use.

I just prefer my silicone molds. I use the others sometimes.

Yeah, I've tried that. Lovely wife pretty much does it that way. For me, it doesn't work. The step by step video below is an example to you of what the above video looks like to me. All is not lost however. This thread has given me the impetus to put a new plan into play and line those beautiful pine molds myself. I
shall:
endeavor.jpg

Yes - that origami fold is certainly what the other video further back there ^^ looks like to me.

I found a video on you tube ( but have since lost it again) that I used to make my first paper lining. We don't have what you all call 'freezer paper' here, but I use baking paper which appears to be similar/the same.

Our rolls are clearly narrower than yours in the US so i have to cut two lengths - enough to run the length of the mould and up one end (and over), and then cut another to do the other half of the mould. I overlap the entire bottom of the mould, and each end of the mould so that no leaks occur. I find it quite easy doing it in two pieces and maybe that might be easier for you @Dennis?

Will hunt down this you tube video and edit to add soon.
ETA:

Last edited:
Yes - that origami fold is certainly what the other video further back there ^^ looks like to me.

I found a video on you tube ( but have since lost it again) that I used to make my first paper lining. We don't have what you all call 'freezer paper' here, but I use baking paper which appears to be similar/the same.

Our rolls are clearly narrower than yours in the US so i have to cut two lengths - enough to run the length of the mould and up one end (and over), and then cut another to do the other half of the mould. I overlap the entire bottom of the mould, and each end of the mould so that no leaks occur. I find it quite easy doing it in two pieces and maybe that might be easier for you @Dennis?

Ok. Maybe it will be a different one. In the meantime, I have a plan. It will work. It will be amazing. I will succeed. My liners will go down in soaping history as a great victory over adversity and motivate millions of young beginning soapers. Companies selling soaping supplies and equipment will be unable to maintain supplies of the Dennis Bobble Head holding the now famous lined mold and wearing the also now famous soaping uniform of jammie pants, hawaiian shirt and fuzzy slippers. People just thought Jimmy Buffet was big. :nodding::winner:

ETA:

Mine is a slight variation on this method. I've created a template for my molds and I don't need to cut any little bits off. Even my grandson said she's wasting paper.

I managed to get my video made this morning. It only took 4 tries. My camera kept going to sleep and then it wouldn't focus. Finally got it to work.
I do mine very similar, but instead of cutting before putting in the mold, I just do a fold, then cut the sides to fold it down once it's in the mold. Templates are the best.

Latest posts

Back