The hardest thing about soaping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly B

Reaction score
I find the hardest thing about soaping, as a hobby soaper, is coming up with a recipe then having to wait 6 - 8 weeks to see if it's a good one.

I just made an experimental soap--70% OO and 30% PKOF. First time I ever used just two oils. No castor or anything....400gm of oil total.

Mixed a scant tsp of both salt and sugar in less than 2 tsp of water and added it at trace (I soap with a 2:1 water/lye mixture, so the additional water does not make it too wet). First time I ever used sugar, and the first time I used salt when not deliberately making a salt or brine bar.

Used a fragrance I knew and only one color because I didn't know what to expect with the salt and sugar.

Also goatmilk powder (which I put in all my non-vegan soaps), SL, and there is silk in the masterbatch lye water.

It got firm quickly even with 70% OO, and it's in my 1 lb loaf mold now. BUT I HAVE TO WAIT WEEKS TO TRY IT.:swinging:

What do you find is the hardest thing about soaping?

I find the hardest thing about soaping, as a hobby soaper, is coming up with a recipe then having to wait 6 - 8 weeks to see if it's a good one.

I just made an experimental soap--70% OO and 30% PKOF. First time I ever used just two oils. No castor or anything....400gm of oil total.

Mixed a scant tsp of both salt and sugar in less than 2 tsp of water and added it at trace (I soap with a 2:1 water/lye mixture, so the additional water does not make it too wet). First time I ever used sugar, and the first time I used salt when not deliberately making a salt or brine bar.

Used a fragrance I knew and only one color because I didn't know what to expect with the salt and sugar.

Also goatmilk powder (which I put in all my non-vegan soaps), SL, and there is silk in the masterbatch lye water.

It got firm quickly even with 70% OO, and it's in my 1 lb loaf mold now. BUT I HAVE TO WAIT WEEKS TO TRY IT.:swinging:

What do you find is the hardest thing about soaping?

Its controversial, but I rarely wait that long for the soap to cure. I get ants in my pants at about 2 to 3 weeks.

oh man, for me it's gotta be disappointment from a FO. I always get myself really excited about my sniffs, especially my new ones, so when it doesn't perform or smell how I expected I get a bit mad.

Latest posts

Back