The hard bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that somewhere here there is a discussion on hardness VS longevity. I know I was looking for a hard bar of soap and what I was looking for was a bar that lasted longer but didn't know that there was a difference. I now keep my longevity numbers around 35, which is adding the palmitic and stearic numbers together. The new recipe is right on the money. But it also needs to be cured at a minimum of 4-6 weeks and longer is always better I think. Before I knew that longevity and hardness were not the same, I tried an experiment by adding salt and beewax into the same recipe. I didn't notice any differences in the time it took to use up a bar...which is why I started my adventure with Soapmaker's Forum.

If that is what you are looking at, try searching for longevity...I'd post a link however I am computer illiterate without my mouse and am at the ER with my daughter at the moment. LOL

I believe that somewhere here there is a discussion on hardness VS longevity. I know I was looking for a hard bar of soap and what I was looking for was a bar that lasted longer but didn't know that there was a difference. I now keep my longevity numbers around 35, which is adding the palmitic and stearic numbers together. The new recipe is right on the money. But it also needs to be cured at a minimum of 4-6 weeks and longer is always better I think. Before I knew that longevity and hardness were not the same, I tried an experiment by adding salt and beewax into the same recipe. I didn't notice any differences in the time it took to use up a bar...which is why I started my adventure with Soapmaker's Forum.

If that is what you are looking at, try searching for longevity...I'd post a link however I am computer illiterate without my mouse and am at the ER with my daughter at the moment. LOL

Thank you for your info re hardness vs longevity, and for taking the time while at the ER! I hope all is ok

Aren't they precious! I purchased a souvenir soap from MONA museum in Tasmania (you need to look that up, not appropriate for this forum) and just put that into the shower and said nothing. Neither did he....... for about a week he avoided using it. He finally asked what it was and is it meant to look like that and that he didn't think we should be giving those soaps to family and friends and that I probably should stop making them. I know it was probably a rotten thing to do but he is such an easy target, bless him. He was trying so hard to be very diplomatic too

Bless his heart.

I have had some requests for vagina and penis soaps. I'm not a prude, but I don't want to put a NSFW warning on my website. As I told them...I'll make the soap at wholesale, but you have to buy the molds...and they have to be silicone molds not plastic chocolate molds.

ETA - As for your planer...it could be dodgy, there are some pretty cheap ones out there, or it could be that it needs a good cleaning or the blade needs to be replaced.

Thank you for your info re hardness vs longevity, and for taking the time while at the ER! I hope all is ok
Since it's usually a long wait, this takes up time that I don't have to worry. She was admitted overnight hoping to reduce the infection from diverticulosis...if not surgery is in order. Won't know for another 24 hours. Thanks for your concern.

Since it's usually a long wait, this takes up time that I don't have to worry. She was admitted overnight hoping to reduce the infection from diverticulosis...if not surgery is in order. Won't know for another 24 hours. Thanks for your concern.

Here are some virtual flowers for your daughter! Wishing for good outcomes
🌻🥀🌹🌷💐🌼🌺🌸

I await hearing how your husband feels about the soap you made! It should certainly meet the 'hardness' criteria, and I do understand his need for getting the black off his skin, although I do think it's ironic that the soap is also black. ;)

I have no boilermakers in my family, but I remember the old boilers in the basement at a hospital I used to work at ages ago. One of the maintenance guys took me on a tour of that area when I was curious and it all seemed very hot and quite uncomfortable as a work environment. Glad I didn't have to spend much time down there in that heat!

As for the Blacksmith Soap I make for my brother, it is the combo of Borax & Pumice that he found so effective. Make sure to read post #54 with the correct percentages for the Borax & Pumice that worked best for him. You can change it of course, as the recipe I used is not written in stone & your hubby wants a hard-as-a-rock bar. I don't blame him for that. I have used 3% beeswax along with hard oils and the bars tend to be very long lasting, even without animal fats, so I think he should be happy. And of course he's going to be fine with the high cleansing number with that tough boilermaker skin of his!

Back