The Experiments will continue until the soap dough improves.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Soapdough.jpg
Moving on to more complicated patterns this week. The process is slow because as I have learned, aging the dough, and allowing it to harden to the right stage is key.

These canes were cut without the need for alcohol on the blade. They came off as easily as if they were polymer.

I am not really playing with colors at this point. Hating the peach but it is what I have left from the Feb challenge. I will hopefully be able to create something more complex soon, although it will take a while since each component has to sit for a bit then put together. The cane needs to be the size you want due to the fact that "reducing" has not worked out too well in regards to maintaining the detail without distortion.

Will keep you posted. Well, those of you that are interested in playing with soap dough and caning, anyway.

Sere

The reducing works, sort of. If you have a free moving design where the details lining up wont matter then it is possible.

When you make a cane, you're sticking layers upon layers together to create your design. In Polymer, you rely on the fact that they will stick. They remain in place as you try and move them at the same time to reduce the size. A number of factors play a part to allow this to happen but, but the main ones are consistency and adhesiveness.

You need the soap to be firm, not completely dry, but you end up sacrificing adhesiveness. If you use alcohol to help it, it will end up becoming a giant mushy mess because as it penetrates the layers of soap it will make everything too soft to retain detail as you move it.

I am currently working on making some bigger canes in which I am avoiding the use of alcohol but incorporating other liquids. Will see how it works and if I am able to make something out of it.

I hope this helped if not ask away. I will be happy to answer.

Hrm...what if you made the cane and wrapped it in plastic and let it sit for a while to give the layers a chance to meld?
I've done polymer work, made exactly three canes and ran screaming out of the door....how many peppermints does one dollhouse need LOL. Keep working on it, I love seeing these!

Latest posts

Back