The evils of quick oats

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkyfingers

Reaction score
I want to make oatmeal soap today and have looked around for recipes and inspiration. One thing that is often stressed is NO QUICK COOK OATS (yes, this is sometimes underlined or capitalized to stress its importance).

But why not? Is something wrong with quick cook oats?

I have bought a beautiful package or quick cook oats to make granola, but nobody in my family eats oatmeal. I don't really want to buy a bag of regular whole oats if I only need a tablespoon, but I will if my batch will fail on account of quick cook oats.

Has anybody ever used quick oats and had disastrous results?

Please enlighten me.

I've used both with no issue. I generally just add it at trace and mix it in really well. Maybe someone else will share their knowledge as to why not. I had never seen where it said not to. I just grind it really fine and then sprinkle some whole oats on top of my OMH.

I would suspect that maybe quick oats are precooked, or prepared in a way they may lose their skin goodies, like vitamins and so on...

I've used them with no problem, but if I prefer colloidal oats because they give you the skin benefits without the scratchiness.

Thank you everyone, for your input! This forum and its posters are absolutely awesome. <3

I will use some quick cook oatmeal after I run some through my blender, and use it coarsely ground. Some will be exfoliating, and some will be colloidal, and some of the bigger flakes will serve to decorate the top.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't instant oatmeal and quick oats the same thing?

Quick oats cook faster than old fashioned rolled oats, but not as quickly as instant oats. They have their own category and are usually steamed and rolled while rolled oats just get the mechanical processing.

I hope this picture shows up.

10329202_10154053065440632_2205107183762541546_n.jpg

My tray of (quick cook) oatmeal, milk and honey soap. :)

Last edited:
i like to use oat flour these days. the finer the better.

Latest posts

Back