The eternal struggle of soaping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAShillito

Reaction score
Between a mom and daughter

Attachments

• 57tw2v.jpg
    57tw2v.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 104
Me 24 hours after pour "Can I cut it now?"
Sense and Reason "No, too soon"
Me 25 hours after pour "Now?"
Sense and Reason "No, too soft"
Me 26 hours after pour "Now?"
Sense and Reason "No, you'll regret it"
Me 27 hours after pour, cutting soap that's too soft
Sense and Reason "..."
Every. Dang. Time.

Me, seeing a cool new soaping tool: Ooooo I want it!

Sense and Reason: You have other tools you haven't even tried yet.

Me: But I want it.

Sense and Reason: How about if you buy it after you've given those other tools a whirl?

Sense and Reason: Yes, I know you want it, but do you really need it?

Me, pressing Buy Now: This is going to be so much fun! Now my soaps will look just like the soaps by Tree Marie, Ione Eve, and I Dream in Soap!! And Dibbles, Mobjack Bay, and Jersey Girl, too!!

Last edited:

Sense and Reason: How about if you buy it after you've given those other tools a whirl?

Me, pressing Buy Now: This is going to be so much fun! Now my soaps will look just like the soaps by Tree Marie, Ione Eve, and I Dream in Soap!! ETA: and Dibbles, Mobjack Bay, and Jersey Girl, too!!

*suddenly remembers the hangar swirl tool I haven't used yet*

Me, pressing Buy Now: This is going to be so much fun! Now my soaps will look just like the soaps by Tree Marie, Ione Eve, and I Dream in Soap!! ETA: and Dibbles, Mobjack Bay, and Jersey Girl, too!!

Hysterical and so verrrrrry true as I sit here eyeing the slab mold, loaf splitter and pull through tools I still haven’t used as my finger hovers over the “buy” button of a silicon popsicle mold. 😂😂😂😂😂

Lol!

The eternal struggle of soaping in my house is:
View attachment 56777

This is me right now. And I've only made TWO batches. Family of four can only go through so much soap so fast. God help me when I have to find a place to store 1.5 kilos worth of shaving soap I *bought* to make room for the shaving soap I want to *make* lol!

Me 24 hours after pour "Can I cut it now?"
Sense and Reason "No, too soon"
Me 25 hours after pour "Now?"
Sense and Reason "No, too soft"
Me 26 hours after pour "Now?"
Sense and Reason "No, you'll regret it"
Me 27 hours after pour, cutting soap that's too soft
Sense and Reason "..."
Every. Dang. Time.
Use some table salt (non idiodine) and it will be ready to cut in 18-24 hours

I have only just started soaping and this is definitely my struggle! You HAVE to (yes you do) start with lots of different recipes in small batches to try to find ‘your’ soap, but there are only two of us and I don’t like giving trial soaps to friends when I am still learning, but I want to try that mixture and also that one and that one and try using that mould and then I have to leave some of it for months to see how it matures and need another room in my house. Does soaping actually have an end point where you settle into a regular pattern?

as I sit here eyeing the slab mold, loaf splitter and pull through tools ...
inches me ever closer to buying a loaf splitter, which is right behind the perfect little slab mold (@dibbles) that’s at the top of my enabled “I really need this” list

Me: accidentally selects a wrong oil in the soap calculator

Also me: “Hmm, never heard about this oil. What is it like? What is it good for? *extensive research* Hey, that shop sells it – how lucky that I wanted to place an order there anyway!”
Me: Why haven’t I tried a wider range of oils? And, why haven’t I ordered that benzoin? And, where can I get gromwell?

“Third time’s a charm” or the fourth, or the seventh :cool:

I have only just started soaping and this is definitely my struggle! You HAVE to (yes you do) start with lots of different recipes in small batches to try to find ‘your’ soap, but there are only two of us and I don’t like giving trial soaps to friends when I am still learning, but I want to try that mixture and also that one and that one and try using that mould and then I have to leave some of it for months to see how it matures and need another room in my house. Does soaping actually have an end point where you settle into a regular pattern?
When will your first batches cure? If say a six week timetable is coming up I would test a bar out and then gift alot of it to lose friends to make more room. Everyone needs soap!

Me, pressing Buy Now: This is going to be so much fun! Now my soaps will look just like the soaps by Tree Marie, Ione Eve, and I Dream in Soap!! And Dibbles, Mobjack Bay, and Jersey Girl, too!!

My temptation is not really tools, but molds. I **love** fancy molds, and have far more of them than I can ever realistically use. Literally. Big plastic totes full. Yet Amazon insists on sending me cute little messages with cute little molds in them. "Buy Now" <---- conditioned response.

You HAVE to (yes you do) start with lots of different recipes in small batches to try to find ‘your’ soap, but there are only two of us and I don’t like giving trial soaps to friends when I am still learning, but I want to try that mixture and also that one and that one and try using that mould and then I have to leave some of it for months to see how it matures and need another room in my house.

I have this problem too! I am trying different recipes to see what works best for me and I love all the design options! But what do I do with all this soap!

Back