The dog, the mouse poison and a tip to share

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a black lab. For those of you who know the breed, they will eat anything, and as fast as they can. My dog swallows what he can without chewing, which as it turns out in this case is a good thing.

DH and dog were visiting a neighbor, and the three of them went into his garage. In the blink of an eye the dog ate a nearly whole briquette of mouse poison. We called the vet in a bit of a panic and were advised to give him 2 Tbs. of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting (our dog weighs 60-65 lbs.) This worked, and since he pretty much swallowed the briquette whole we could tell it all came up. Long story short, the dog is just fine. Thankfully, since the vet told us there is no antidote for this particular poison.

Since there are so many dog lovers on this forum, I just thought I'd let you know in case you want to make sure you have hydrogen peroxide on hand, that I truly hope you will never have to use for this purpose.

Oh gosh. That is one of my worst nightmares. Thanks for posting. I will run out and restock my hydrogen peroxide now.

Scooter

you can also induce vomiting by putting a handful of salt on the dogs tongue.

I had to do that to my rottie when he was about a year old after he somehow found and ate an entire box of antibiotics and painkillers that I had only gotten that day for my other dog (also a lab) after she ate one of them roast net thingys from the bin and had just come home from the vet after having it taken out of her. Was a very stressful day and lessons were learned.

I'm glad he's OK!

And thanks for the tip... I never knew.
I have 2 cats and according to Google it can be used on them too. That's if they don't scratch you to death in the process.

One of our cats is a "chewer", she'll chew on anything abd everything. We once caught her with the packet of Panadol in her mouth.

I believe the hydrogen peroxide always works but my last dog was stubborn and salt did NOTHING to make him vomit when he had eaten something bad (I forget what, now) and I poured it straight from the Morton's canister into his mouth so it was certainly enough. I had to take him to the vet for induced vomiting and also they gave him activated charcoal to help absorb the poison that was in his system, because by the time they made him throw up it was already past his stomach and into his intestines. I did not have any hydrogen peroxide at the time but I always keep it on hand now. So scary!

So glad your dog was OK, dibbles!!

I'm glad your dog is okay, dibbles.

I'll have to pick some up the next time I'm out. I haven't kept any in the house since my nurse friends told me it's not the best for cleaning out wounds.

Back