The Dish Forum - problems?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:(

All that wonderful, technical info posted by several very generous, intelligent, creative, sharing folks that I had so come to appreciate and respect now gone poof. It's pretty sad that it was decided to pull the plug.

Unfortunately, the Wayback Machine doesn't have any archives, because the forum was restricted to members only. I seem to remember there was a public archive and maybe the WB Machine has archives of that. Not sure how to check for it, however. I'm out of practice on how The Dish worked.

There was also the Fragrance Oil Finder website that died a few years back. Someone (forgot the person's name) threw out the idea of becoming the new owner/admin. I'm not sure if they even asked the original owner, but suffice to say nothing came of it.

It's too bad The Dish is going the same way. Would be nice to have an archive available, even if the forum itself doesn't survive.

The dish is now gone
ty
I learned so much over there in my early soapmaking years. There were many helpful soapers that I remember including Irish Lass and others mentioned here. I didn't post a lot, just researched/read a lot, and participated in some co-ops. Losing The Dish Archives is quite a loss. So, so sad. [emoji22]

I joined the Dish back when it was still a public forum and was there for a couple of forum transitions (going private was a big change, but the forum stayed busy for quite a while afterwards, even as it slowly disappeared from public view).

Over the years, I marvelled at some of the amazing careers and experts that the Dish helped forge, made a few friends and, while some businesses came and went, quite a few members stuck around for a long while after the forum slowed, to continue sharing their vast knowledge. The heyday swaps were fun and the archives remained an astounding reservoir of the collective knowledge.

While the forum itself was not overly active in later years, the collective knowledge loss is massive.
(I hope that the data was able to be saved ... somewhere ...)

So much valuable information and research lost. I haven't visited that forum in over a decade, one too many beatings with the stick for me. As someone else said, there is a huge difference between constructive criticism and downright hostility and rudeness. Still, it's sad that The Dish is dead.

The Tallow Soapers group on FB has a kindly nature and most of the posts are useful and informative.

What a sweet thing to say, @DeeAnna. Thank you! Tallow Soapers started in '01 or '02 as a Yahoo Group as a refuge from the anti-animal oil soaper folks. Back then a soaper didn't dare mention on any public forum that they used an animal oil in their soap recipe. Carol Isler became one of my mods very early on. What a blessing she has been. We took the group to FB and I believe Carol also set up a TS group on MeWe.

Latest posts

Back