The Dangers of....Mica?!?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None of these issues are black and white. It’s possible to be critical of these industries and how they impact
the environment; the people and wildlife immediately impacted; local economies; and worldwide economies and still accept that, given our population needs and desires, fixing these circumstances is complex and very very expensive (I use that word loosely).

I’m not advocating that the coal industry should revert back to prior production. Or that I have an “out of sight, out of mind” approach. Merely that boycotting an industry or product has a butterfly effect.

Sadly, I had just stocked up on my five favorite colors - 6 oz of each. So I am going to get to the bottom of this. If they DO contain those trace minerals, they'll be resold. If they don't, then I will use them up but source more responsibly going forward (in about 3 years when I get to the bottom of my stash!)
Why would you "resell" something that's "bad" for you?? If I don't want it toss it but dont pass on thr bad stuff ..thats my opinion..

Why would you "resell" something that's "bad" for you?? If I don't want it toss it but dont pass on thr bad stuff ..thats my opinion..

One, mics is not objectively bad. It's potentially questionably ethical, and that depends entirely on the source of the mica substrate. See my previous response regarding Mad Micas and Nurture Soap and their ethical/responsible sourcing.

Disposing of it entirely, without using it, is wasteful financially and can carry it's own ethical consideration however While we shouldn't knowingly purchase an unethically produced product, if the ethical issues come up after the fact we can be considered to have a moral obligation to at least use the product that someone sacrificed for and honor the sacrifice. Certainly don't buy more. But to dispose of it entirely is to disrespect and dishonor the people involved.

If Wendy feels ethically squicked out using it themselves, then reselling it or gifting it to someone (preferably with a full disclosure of the potential ethical considerations) who will use it properly will ensure that honoring the sacrifice is achieved.

One, mics is not objectively bad. It's potentially questionably ethical, and that depends entirely on the source of the mica substrate. See my previous response regarding Mad Micas and Nurture Soap and their ethical/responsible sourcing.

Disposing of it entirely, without using it, is wasteful financially and can carry it's own ethical consideration however While we shouldn't knowingly purchase an unethically produced product, if the ethical issues come up after the fact we can be considered to have a moral obligation to at least use the product that someone sacrificed for and honor the sacrifice. Certainly don't buy more. But to dispose of it entirely is to disrespect and dishonor the people involved.

If Wendy feels ethically squicked out using it themselves, then reselling it or gifting it to someone (preferably with a full disclosure of the potential ethical considerations) who will use it properly will ensure that honoring the sacrifice is achieved.
Thank you I was focused on 2.things ..the wastage and selling something she would not want to use herself..however your explanation is very clear and makes a s
Lot of sense so I accept it..

While I agree with this in theory, just because something is natural doesn't mean that it's ethical/cruelty-free/sustainable. Unfortunately, clay mining has its issues too.
What happens when we deplete the earth's natural resources? Scientists and manufacturers are always working on better alternatives and synethics. We've seen this already with sulphate surfactants and as people become more aware there is a greater demand.

Please don't think I'm "attacking" your choices, as I know your choices are admirable, just maybe a tad ill informed. Don worry we are all always learning new things. I do believe as formulators and soapmakers we have a responsibility to become more aware about the raw materials we use.

You're not offending me at all. I understand completely what your saying, and I am ill informed. I just wanted to make soap darn it, and here we are debating the conundrums of the world. We are a spoiled people, we want pretty smell good things. Not the subtleness that a natural occurring anything will bring. Now I am not attacking anyone here either please know. It's far more wide spread than soapmaking. But as for the colorants and clays being mined unethically or what have you. I don't need to use them to make soap. I can use kitchen spices or other things/methods. And if that's still not good enough I'll just make plain Jane soaps. I'm perfectly fine with that. I think (at least I hope) most plant botanical are safe. Heck I can grow my own if I need to. Anyhow. My $0.02 hope I'm not being offensive or rude. Not my intention

You assume the cultivation and extraction of natural colorants is “cruelty free.” Where do your natural colorants come from? If you use annatto, it is very likely that someone is hand-picking the seed in a third world country. Demand for indigo worldwide is high and mostly derived from crops in India. Just because it is a “natural” colorant doesn’t mean that its industry doesn’t have its dirty laundry.

Where do you draw the line in your awareness? This isn’t a judgement of your stance on the matter. I cannot fault someone for wanting to make the world a cleaner, safer, more fair world.

I don't assume anything. I don't use anything. I've made a whole 5 batches of soap, some with turmeric some with cocoa powder etc.. I haven't bought any colorants fo or eo I just wanted to try my hand at making soap. And inexpensively, not make the world a worse off place. And I'm not judging anyone. My beliefs are such that this world wasn't created to be a permanent place anyway. So do what you want. God is in control of our planet. Nothing we can do or not do to change that.
Edit: ugh. sorry. I may have fired off a bit too quickly. I think I'll just stick to searching up recipe help from now on. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes, I knew that. But I've been to so many Indian and Paki food/spice stores looking for it and searched online, and even looked in a few shops when I was in England pre-Covid. I wonder if it would be easier just to grow it at this point!

I am surprised they are all out of stock.

You can buy Starwest's Alkanet from at Amazon (currently in stock): Link

If you boycott Amazon, try ebay or etsy. Ebay stock is apparently on backorder, but esty has several options, but you may have to hurry to order as there seems to be either a very high demand or some sort of shortage, if the fact that most vendors I linked for you in my previous post are out of stock.

Back