The cell phone technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im gonna patent this screw up

i made a batch today. So very proud of the itp swirl that i cant wait to see. I even sprinkled the top with sea salt to make it Floridian to match the colors.

looked so pretty. I wanted to record every baby step so i knew what was going on every step of the way for my records.

im telling you..proud momma. Taking pictures of everything.

Then i literally dropped the “curse word” phone right into the soap. Not just the phone, my BRAND NEW .... just got it. iphone right into a lye slurry. I think i cleaned up the “curse word” phone well enough. “Curse word” Case was “curse word” covered in it.

Bare hands had to pull it out.

curse curse curse.

Lots of F bombs going on here

Last edited:
Before and after pics. Im so mad at me. Its still “ cooking” by the way. CPOP IN THE OVEN

Attachments

• B5F8E025-0802-48B5-B32E-AE7031D2EA45.jpeg
    B5F8E025-0802-48B5-B32E-AE7031D2EA45.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 37
  • A8873393-38B3-4DB4-AC78-ECF9C6085080.jpeg
    A8873393-38B3-4DB4-AC78-ECF9C6085080.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 53
Im gonna patent this screw up

i made a batch today. So very proud of the itp swirl that i cant wait to see. I even sprinkled the top with sea salt to make it Floridian to match the colors.

looked so pretty. I wanted to record every baby step so i knew what was going on every step of the way for my records.

im telling you..proud momma. Taking pictures of everything.

Then i literally dropped the “curse word” phone right into the soap. Not just the phone, my BRAND NEW .... just got it. iphone right into a lye slurry. I think i cleaned up the “curse word” phone well enough. “Curse word” Case was “curse word” covered in it.

Bare hands had to pull it out.

curse curse curse.

Lots of F bombs going on here

Oh man.....I feel your pain! I hope it’s ok. I would be concerned if any batter got into the charging port. We all have our soaping horror stories but this one is a doozy!

Gosh...I would probably try to wipe it out with a bit of rubbing alcohol. If you have 91 or 99% that would be best I think. Maybe use a q-tip or something similar. I would worry about corrosion in there from the lye so try and clean it best you can. I’m sorry this happened to you.

I just made a batch of soap which is in the over cpop'ing and your mention of alcohol reminded me I forgot to spritz my soap! Arrrggg Not as bad as dropping your phone in the batter! Hope you manage to get it cleaned up without any damage!

Get yourself a tripod...I have two from when I used to record my husband’s band. I have one with extendable legs and a table top version with bendy legs.

Your phone should be okay, just going to need to ‘degrease’ it and clean out the charging port and around the buttons. In fact, you might want to let the batter saponify and turn to soap before you go after the bits.

Thanks guys. Its ok. I used a toothpick wrapped in gauze. It charged to 100%.

The soap in the oven literally turned into an almost liquid state. Kind of like a slurry, not noticable until my phone fell in it of course. Is it normal for the soap to be so fluid at this point? I never put my batter in the oven before.

I didnt take the time to put gloves on and half-expected my hands to disintegrate after retrieving the phone lol. It literally was completely submerged in the soap. But no burns.

Aww thanks. My inspiration was an abalone shell. My great phone drop mixed it up a bit more, but like i said, its a secret swirl. Cant share lol

Attachments

• 49FF6B43-947C-463A-8E69-9ABD22892C02.jpeg
    49FF6B43-947C-463A-8E69-9ABD22892C02.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 34
I have no advice but solidarity friend. I've had several soaping sessions lately where everything goes well except ONE THING. LOL. I empathize!

For what it's worth, I love the look.

I just made a batch of soap which is in the over cpop'ing and your mention of alcohol reminded me I forgot to spritz my soap! Arrrggg Not as bad as dropping your phone in the batter! Hope you manage to get it cleaned up without any damage!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but does anyone else ever hesitate a bit before popping a freshly spritzed mold into a hot oven? I keep think "soap flambe" but do it anyway.

I don't want to be the one to patent THAT technique!

Thanks guys. Its ok. I used a toothpick wrapped in gauze. It charged to 100%.

The soap in the oven literally turned into an almost liquid state. Kind of like a slurry, not noticable until my phone fell in it of course. Is it normal for the soap to be so fluid at this point? I never put my batter in the oven before.

I didnt take the time to put gloves on and half-expected my hands to disintegrate after retrieving the phone lol. It literally was completely submerged in the soap. But no burns.
When you put your soap molds in, did you immediately turn off the oven?

Latest posts

Back