The cat ruined my soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenny92

Reaction score
As if I needed another thing to be annoyed about today, I've just come home from dinner to find that my beloved little cat has ruined my freshly poured soap. I made some chocolate ale soap today, first time I've tried this combination and it was all looking good. Before I left for dinner, the soap was almost fully gelled so I left it covered with a tea towel on my kitchen counter top. When I got home, I saw that the towel had shifted and there was a "dent" there... Pulled the towel back, and bam. The cats (we have 2...) have somehow stepped on the towel and left a huge old dent right in the middle of the loaf, from one side of the mould to the other! I'm hoping it isn't as bad as it looks, and maybe when it's time to cut I can shave a little off the top to make it even again.

At least I've learned an important lesson - don't leave your soap unattended in a room with free-roaming cats. :x

I love my cats, but **** they do some annoying things sometimes. At least my 10 week old puppy can't jump high enough to get to the kitchen counters!

You need to never, ever leave raw soap unattended in a room with animals or children. FOR SAFETY, not for appearance of soap! There is still active lye in that soap for days. Maybe you need to think about letting your soap gel in the microwave or oven(turned off) to prevent accidents. I would hate for your kitties to have lye burned paws, because the first thing they would do is lick those paws.

It wasn't just left out in the open, and I hope my post didn't make me sound irresponsible as I am not. I normally put it in the freezer or fridge, but decided to let this one gel. I popped out to get dinner and was out for 15 minutes, max. It was completely wrapped in cling film wrap and covered around with 2 towels, so no chance of burned paws thankfully.

I'd understand your post if I had left an open pot full of raw soap on the counter in easy reach of animals/kids, however that was not the case. If my cats had gotten to the raw soap, the last thing I would be worried about would be the appearance of my soap, trust me.

Putting things in the microwave is brilliant - and I never would have thought of it till this past vacation. The area was flooding and ants were all over. We took the knobs off the oven and unplugged the microwave and stored everything in those.

You need to never, ever leave raw soap unattended in a room with animals or children. FOR SAFETY, not for appearance of soap! There is still active lye in that soap for days. Maybe you need to think about letting your soap gel in the microwave or oven(turned off) to prevent accidents. I would hate for your kitties to have lye burned paws, because the first thing they would do is lick those paws.
...and I would have to say I am the irresponsible one. I leave my soap out on a small table and have/had two cats. Lost my favorite "Harley" to coyotes last year. My cats have never ever even gone near my soap in the molds, but then they were taught as kittens that we do not get on tables or counters. Yep, they can be taught. We would laugh when my granddaughter was around 2 she would run after Harley and he would take a giant leap, jump over the counter into the kitchen to hide, never touching the counter :p. Since they would not even go near the soap I always wondered if they did not like the scents, and I make a lot of soap. During the last 50 yrs of so I have had at least 1 cat no more than 2 in the house and none have traveled on my tables or counters

Spenny, I don't think Susie was being judgemental, she probably just blanched when she read about the cats getting close enough to the soap to step in it and posted right away. I admit, I had an immediate reaction too, not b/c of what you were doing, it just made me think "oh $%$, have I been leaving the soaps in places where the puppies could get to it?" in big red mental letters. I am super careful about wiping up soap batter from the floor b/c of the little paws, but admit that I haven't thought about any possible counter/tabletop gymastics on their part.

You know how us pet owners are w/our babies ...

Oh that's a bummer. If mine isn't in the fridge to stall gel it's in my oven away from small hands and animals. Just a nice habit to get into I think and even my larger loaf fits there. I've put it on top of the fridge also if the oven is in use. :)

don't think of it as ruined, think of it as artistically modified by your cat. :p

If a gorilla and an elephant can paint, a cat can texture soap tops! ( not advocating it just trying to be positive )

I was doing some drywall in the basement and had just put fresh mud down on the window sill. I went upstairs to get a bee .. um, soda, and when I came back there was a paw print in it. Just one. I left it there and painted over it. Sort of his addition to the house.

My daughter's cat sealed himself into a wall. We were having some electrical work done behind a fireplace and had a big hole in the sheet rock. As soon as the workmen were putting in their last nail, we heard a single echoing meow. Such a big doofus...

I don't leave my soap unattended in moulds as my cat is too nosey for her own good. However, she will walk near cured soap, give it a smell and a look of utter disgust then give it a wide berth.

Back