The candle recipe thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beeswax Candle recipe

1 pound paraffin
1 pound beeswax
1 ounce stearic acid
1 teaspoon scent (optional)
Dye (optional)

NOTE: You may use 1 3/4 pound paraffin and 1/4 pound beeswax, if desired.

Melt paraffin and beeswax in a double boiler (never over direct heat) to 190 degrees F. Add stearic acid. Add scent and dye, if desired. Dip or mold candles.

Sand canldes

Materials Needed:
Sand, container to hold water
Wick
Wax,
Scents
Melting pot
Thermometer
Pencil

1: Add sand to your container. Add water and stir. When it is moist and packs well take a bottle, jar, cup, glass, large shells, etc... and push it into the wet sand. Remove it carefully, and your mold is complete.

2: The wax is poured in 2 or more stages. The first pour is at a very high temperature. Place the thermometer in your melting pot with the wax, and heat on a direct flame to 325 degrees F. IMPORTANT: Do not leave wax unattended, or heat above 325 degrees. Pour the wax into the mold, the damp sand will sizzle a bit - that is normal. Allow to cool until firm, but still warm.

3: Attach a wick tab to one end of the wick, and wrap the other end around a pencil. Suspend this over the mold with the tab touching the bottom. Prepare another batch of wax, but heat in a melting pot to 180 degrees, then add scent. Pour into mold cavity.

4: Allow to cool completely before attempting to remove it from the sand. Brush the loose sand off. A nice finishing touch is to spray it with clear acrylic spray (protect the wick with tape). If your finished sand candle is not perfect, try again. Use your rejects for decorating the back yard. With a little trial and error you will quickly master this technique.

Shell candles

What you need:

* Large clam shell or other deep shell- make sure it is clean and does not contain any sand. just rinse with warm water and dry thoroughly before adding the paraffin.
* Candle scent- choose the scent you like
* Candle wick
* Paraffin wax
* Scissors
* Pencil
* Pitcher for melting wax
* Waxed paper

What you do:

1. Place your shell on the waxed paper. Cut the wick so that it is the depth of the shell plus 2 inches more. Tie one end to pencil.

2. Place the pencil across shell top so that wick is suspended above center of shell.

3. Melt the wax according to the manufacturer's instructions. Carefully pour the melted wax into your shell, filling it to rim.

4. Allow it to stand for a few hours in a safe place so that the wax completely hardened. if the kids would like more sparkle to their candles let them decorate the shells BEFORE adding the wax.

5. They can use glitter, stickers, beads, pearls, etc... to make it fancy.

Ice Candles Recipe

These are fun to make and relatively simple but they look beautiful when they're finished.

Instructions:

Clean out an empty milk carton and tape along the outside/bottom of it with masking tape to make the walls stronger so they don't bow from the weight of the wax. Melt some paraffin wax to about 140F. Place a taper candle the same height as the candle you want to make in the center of the milk carton and fill up the carton with crushed ice. The ice should hold the taper in place. Place the carton in a basin of some sort to catch any spilling water as the ice melts (not in the sink though!). Slowly pour the wax into the carton until it fills to the top. If the level of the wax goes down, just add more wax. When the candle is cool to the touch, hold it over a basin or tub and peel/cut the milk carton off the candle. The melted water will gush out so be prepared. The taper inside the candle can be replaced when it burns down completely.

well i think i need the jelly candle homemade recipes did anyone have it?
to make gel candle in home (not buying the gel candle in shop)

well this the only recipe I got in the internet
Subject: Re: gel candles
Date: April 14, 2004 at 12:22 pm PST

In Reply to: gel candles posted by Sharry on March 17, 2001 at 2:57 pm:

I found one a recipe for one and will give it to you.

Gel Candles
This makes a crystal clear gel that burns five times longer than wax.

2 cup s95% white mineral oil 375 degrees F Flash Point 200 Viscosity
3/8 cup (6 tablespoons) 5% CP9000 thermoplastic resin powder
Metal spoon
Measuring cup
Crockpot with a thermostat or saucepan and candy thermometer
Wick and base
Fragrance (optional)
Color (optional)

The formula for 1 pound of gel is .05 pound of CP9000 trp to .13 gallon of white mineral oil.

Mix mineral oil and resin powder and allow to set at room temperature for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Begin heating ingredients slowly bringing to 200 to 210 degrees F and hold at this temperature for 1 hour or until the gel is completely smooth flowing and all the lumps have dissolved. (The temperature should never exceed 230 degrees F.) The consistency should be that of corn syrup. Be sure to never let the temperature exceed 230 degrees as this may scorch the gel. If gel does scorch it is worthless and no amount of fragrance can save it. Give up and start over.

Stir the mixture often while cooking to assure proper mixture. If you don't have a crock pot be sure to watch your temp on a thermometer. The gel may smoke slightly during the process, this is not a cause for alarm unless smoke is excessive.

Just before you are ready to pour, add fragrance to suit (do not exceed 3%) as this will lower your flash point to an unsafe level. Color should be added now if desired.

Dip wick base in the gel, then place in bottom of container and hold for a few seconds to allow gel to adhere to the glass. This will hold your wick in place during pouring.

Pouring the gel is easy. You can get different effects from different pouring temperatures:

Lots of bubbles 180 to 190 degrees F
Few large bubbles 200 to 210 degrees F
Almost no bubbles 210 to 220 degrees F

To ensure bubble-free candles, pre-heat the glass container for 10 minutes in preheated 150 degrees F oven.

Tips

To embed objects, wait 2 to 5 minutes after pouring and drop into place. Only use glass or ceramic non-flammable objects. Marbles and aquarium rocks work well.

If you goof up some colored gel, cut them into cubes, then toss them into the glass container. Just let them lay as they fall. Pour clear gel over the top of the cubes to hold everything together.

I also have a recipe for Gel Flesheners Here it is,

How to Make Your Own Gel Air Freshener
You can make your own great smelling gel air fresheners, using liquid potpourri, or from scratch. They make great gifts!
You will need:

2 cups of distilled water
Essential oil/fragrance of your choice.
4 packages of knox gelatin
Food coloring (optional)
Heat 1 cup of water almost to a boil. Add the gelatin and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat add another cup of distilled water, 10-20 drops of oil/fragrance, and food coloring if desired.
You can replace food coloring and oil/fragrance with premade liquid potpourri (available at most craft stores, candle shops, etc.). Just make sure it's the concentrated kind or it won't retain its smell. The procedure would be the same. Heat 1 cup of the liquid potpourri, almost to a boil. Stir in 4 packets of Knox gelatin, until dissolved. Then stir in 1 cup cool liquid potpourri.

Pour the mixture into clean baby food jars and set at room temperature overnight until "set". You can place the jars in the refrigerator if you need them to set more quickly, but be aware that the smell will permeate the fridge.

For gift giving, you can decorate the baby food jars by wrapping with material, or glueing on wallpaper, stickers, wrapping paper, etc.

To use, place the jar on the stovetop (not directly on the burner!) while cooking, heat in a potpourri burner, or simply set out on a table and enjoy the aroma.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to Margaret Latham, [email protected], for this addition:
I have made my own gel fresheners by using the concentrated liquid potpouri (1 cup) instead of water and essential oils. I buy my at the local "dollar" store so the investment is small but I don't have any problems with mold growing. I've given several containers away that I made and everyone enjoys them tremendously. My portions are as follows:

1 c. concentrated liquid potpouri
2 envelopes Knox unflavored gelatin
Empty jar
Heat potpouri until almost to a boil. Remove from heat and add 2 envelopes of gelatin. Stir to dissolve gelatin and pour into clean decorative jar. Place piece of plastic wrap over jar and secure with rubber band. Either place in refrigerator for quick set or leave out overnight on counter. Cover with piece of starched "lace" and wrap with ribbon to decorate. Before using, remove plastic wrap and recover jar with lace cover. Hope my hint helps with this wonderful craft idea.

TIPS:
Several readers wrote in that they were having a problem with mold. Daria recommends adding 2 tablespoons of salt to the mixture to inhibit the growth of mold. Another user recommends adding a splash of vodka. And another suggests potassium sorbate, which is used in food preservation.
NOTE:
This is not the same as GEL CANDLES, which we also get a lot of inquiries about. Try visiting Downeast Scents or The Chemistry Store for instructions and materials for making the gel candles.

Hope you can use these.
Enjoy,
Jude

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/holidays/messages/2380.html

Back