the bigger the market, the better the business?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindseyga

Reaction score
I've only set up this year at our local farmer's market, and alot of people just smile at me and go on. I get the weirdest reactions to my bubblegum soap. And just at the name. They won't smell it and say so out loud.

I rambled. Would it be worth it to travel to find the bigger markets? One market about 2 hours from me gets about 4000 people on avg. every Saturday. We might get a hundred locally.

What have been your experiences. I love soapmaking and want to support my habit.

When people don't seem to like mhy soap I try very hard to get a blunt and honest answer out of them... I'll ask.... is it the color? The scent? (too strong, too weak?)... what would you (the customer) like to see? You get the idea.

Bigger venues don't always translate into better sales either. This past month I had one event that sold $380 in a weekend with $200 in table fees. Then I had another event that was free and sold $100 in a few hours. The second had less traffic but people were buying.

IMO, there is no ryhme nor reason, you just have to try different stuff and see what works for you.

Latest posts

Back