the avon lady-that good ol' gals network!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evaluating regualy.

Regular evalution is such a useful thing.
I did put a short cut on my Desk Top as I said so I got to revisit this thread again.
It is so well thought out and a really good soaping brain stretcher.
Thanks again Heart Song. :lol:

Mandolyn thanks

Quote:I've considered coloring the filters for a couple of my soaps, just haven't found the time to test the paint/dye for color fastness. The pleats help in wrapping. I place the filter on a roll of tape then place the soap on the filter & push it down into the hole. Easy, peasy wrapping. The oval soaps are a challenge
.Quote Mandolyn.
That is a great way to make the wrapping easy.
I have been sitting rereading all this thread. You ladies have covered so much so thoroughly.
I am reassesing what I am doing .I want an enjoyable life style not the pressure that I worked under over the years. Partly self imposed coming from a work aholic family and partly through those unexpected Life Altering events.
This thread is a very comprehensive one and stimulates brain storming readily.
Thanks again :lol:

I haven't any thing to add to this thread but I want to keep track of it. This is all very interesting and good luck to you. I hope everything works out for you.

x

update:

just when i thought i was finally getting ahead of my soap rep and building up an inventory she came by last weekend and said she was going to her sisters just outside of orlando florida for a month and she need more soap. she even brought her own box! LOL!

once again my shelves are bare! she definitely fit into the "over-achiervers" catagory!

her sister belongs to a large retirement golf community and feels confident she'll sell lots of soap. what a gal!

i wish her luck-tho it's been a challenge keeping up with her! :D

How are things going now?

I know it has only been a few weeks from the last message - but I was just wondering how things went for your rep down in Florida?

This is pretty cool! I hope it went well. :D

Great thread. Glad it was revived so we newbies could get in on all the sound advice. Love the packaging and the "working smarter not harder" ideas. Thanks so much!

Shipping IS a big cost eater! I always recommend trying to order from suppliers that are local, if you can manage it. That way, you can pick it up, and even if they are a little more than someone further away, you'll still save a lot of money because of shipping.

x

i finally had a "sit-down chat" with my soap rep. after spending a month in orlando with their relatives, she has decided to move back down there probably around august. since she finally retired from the post office, there's nothing to keep her up here with most of the family in georgia and florida.

she turned in her "sales tote" as she has more than enough to do getting ready for the move down south. (it was empty, as she sold all the soaps she took with her!)

we left it like this-to touch bases after christmas to see if selling down there would be logistically feasible. shipping costs have to be factored into the equasion, also.

she was such a great gal to work with! i will definitely miss her as a friend.

ah, such is life....now it's back to the drawing board-figuring out a new business plan! (sigh!) :shock:

:D good heavens, how time flies! I thought I might bump this for those thinking of selling, but looking for alternative methods...the ideas here are still relevant, though the cost of supplies have gone up significantly...due to the weight of the soaps, the cost of adding shipping can sometimes nix a sale, so if selling locally, especially in small towns, this method might be an ideal fit for the right entrepreneur.

I usually sell at craft fairs and farmer markets but most of my sales go through my sales reps. I love them! They reach markets I never could. One works the construction trade during the day but nights and weekends tends to socialize in upscale gay bars. And let me tell you guys buy a lot of soap!

The other is a collage grad and travels a lot and is more "yuppie" if that is still a word. So my soaps reach customers of all types and in a lot of areas. I keep a web site where new soaps are posted and give my reps samples to pass out.
All this leaves me time to do what I like best which is making soap and the different client bases and their needs keeps me from getting bored and making the same kind of soap over and over.

Thanks for reviving the thread, Heartsong. Very interesting. I love hearing how others streamline production and keep down costs. It seems so many buy supplies without regard to cost and think they're making superior soap because they buy "the best", but could never make a good profit operating that way.

I also love your sales rep idea and did a similar thing last time I was in business, though all my reps were recruited online. How are things going now? Are you still using reps?

Yes, thank you for reviving this! I think that you had a great idea!

There was a lady here in my hometown who started a basket company, recruited a sales rep who started doing home shows -they did pretty well in the beginning. I just tried to google them and see how they are doing now, their website is down, and the etsy shop is active, but has no products. The last I knew she was working with several winerys in the area and producing baskets for them as well as the home shows.

I am not trying to depress anyone. I really thought that I would find that they were still going strong. I'll have to ask around and see what has happened.

Hey Mogal70,

It may not be that they weren't doing well. It could be family circumstances or something like that. My business was going well and I believe I had over 100 reps at the time, but I had to close because my son was diagnosed with autism and I had to devote myself to working with him and taking him to therapies.

Latest posts

Back