The assumption that handmade soap isn't as "good".

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
Not a lot of people outside of my family know that I've started making soap. I did talk to the lady at my local drugstore about it once because I was inquiring about getting wholesale EO's from her...

I saw her today and she was asking how my soap making is going. I told her it was great! Then she said "I've always stayed away from stuff like that. I figured it would make me break out without all the antibacterial stuff that's in storebought soaps". She seemed to assume that handmade soaps wouldn't clean her as well as storebought soaps.

I just shrugged and told her that I quite like my soaps and that in my opinion handmade soap is BETTER than the storebought stuff. She didn't really seem convinced.

I can imagine that a lot of people have this kind of attitude about handmade soap. It's as if they think it's something we just throw together in our kitchen with things from the fridge!

Anyone else get comments like this from people? How do you convince them that your soap is good for them and that storebought isn't?

soap

the easiest way to convince ANYONE about the superiority of a well made soap is just by letting them try it!

i always have on hand-in every purse i own-a few different bars i have cut up into samples and put into small zip-locs. i print labels with the ingredients, and a brief description of the process and the time it takes to achieve this perfection in bubbles.....(along with my name and phone number)

you'd be suprised how many calls this generates. i hand them out wherever i go- i even leave one along with a tip for my waitress or hair/stylist or anyone that does me a favor that day or shows me a kindness. chances are if we wait in line long enough together, you'll get a sample of my soap!

it's a great sales stimulater!

What a wonderful idea! I'm going to borrow that one.

It's funny how people view things - some people really appreciate how much work this is and others figure it can't be as good because they only use antibacterial soaps. It's too bad they don't know how bad that really is for their health.

Fortunately I live in a community that does appreciate hand-made so I havge a market already.

Thanks for the replies!

Great idea about leaving samples. I have a question about that though too - would I need to be set up with insurance, etc. if I am handing out samples? I wouldn't actually be SELLING the samples, so would the "regulations" still apply? How about the labelling? Can I just write "SAMPLE" and the fragrance on it, or will it need the proper labelling?

I don't plan to sell my soap for a long time, but I still wouldn't mind leaving some for certain people as a little gift. Don't want to get in trouble though!

insurance

tho each state may have different requirements, treat it like FUDGE-if you are actively selling your fudge and handing out samples, insurance would be a good idea. but if you aren't selling yet, and giving them as gifts or samples- called perfecting your craft-then it would fall under your homeowner's general liability.

you dont have to get insurance to give away fudge at christmas, do you?

best advice-when in doubt, call your insurance agent![/u]

soap

almost forgot....invest in a soap stamp-it gives your product samples a professional finished look!

milky way has a bunch of wonderful ones, and they are so very easy to use. i got mine from www.suppliesbystar.com at a very good price-a minor investment for such a great result!

Re: soap

heartsong said:
almost forgot....invest in a soap stamp-it gives your product samples a professional finished look!

milky way has a bunch of wonderful ones, and they are so very easy to use. i got mine from www.suppliesbystar.com at a very good price-a minor investment for such a great result!

Thanks! I'm going to check them out!

I test everything I do on myself first but my family is still really dubious about the whole thing. My aunties and uncles always do the "thanks but no thanks" thing when I tell them to try some. My uncle even gave his son a warning, "when you go to your cousin Christine's house don't use the soap".
I am a newbie but I use this stuff daily and I think it's top notch! I think any home made soap will win out over store bought stuff. My parents always bought that Country life soap and it made my skin soooooooo scaly.
Whenever people ask why home made soap is better than store bought soap I cite the glycerine content.

Whenever I get the chance I like to let people know that if they used the right cleansers for their face and body that their skin wouldnt get so dry. I used to depend on that high price stuff at the cosmetic counters at the mall. It never really did me any good. I am also very quick to hand out my soap for gifts and that is what gets them hooked! :D

It's crazy to hear people say that. Tho it doesn't surprise me at all. Here in Aus every other ad on tv is about how the evil 'germs' are all over your house, trying to kill your children, so you'd better buy this special product coz it's the only one that will really kill them for good!

It's no wonder people are getting sicker, with all the chemicals they cover themselves in while trying to disinfect their life. I've never once given myself food poisoning from the dreaded E. coli and I use an old sponge and hot water to clean my benches. All those marketing campaigns do is feed on people's willingness to accept what BigPharma tell them and it's just one big lie after another.

I don't know how you can change people's minds, as a scientist I'd like to think my friends believe what I say over the TV and I'm lucky that they're all greenies anyway so they're more receptive to natural alternatives. It still pains me tho when I sit through the endless commercials with new and improved formulas, that are just the same product repackaged with the latest buzz chemical. It's all rubbish.

Hrm.. pet peeve of mine :).

When I worked for the maker of Lysol my boss was living in Australia - now it's all starting to make sense.... LOL

(sorry, OT - but I couldn't help myself!)

soap

this is all urban-legend from back about 3 generations ago most rural families made their own soap. and it was mostly unscientific...it cleaned real good but it took the bark off you!

when i hear someone say that i gently tell them they are just repeating hear-say. if they insist it's true i ask them to name one person this has happened to-they just stammer and say well, everyone knows it's true!

that's when i ask them to compare the ingredients in a commercial bar of soap versus mine. (always carry a couple bars around with you-along with some samples)

ask them-after comparing both soaps, which one would YOU rather shower with?

I haven't come across anyone that doesn't like hand made soap...they all know that it is better for your skin, but because factory made is a)everywhere and B)so cheap, over here in the supermarket you can get a box of five cakes of soap for around $1.
The people that I have given my soap to absolutely love love love it!!!

It's no wonder people are getting sicker, with all the chemicals they cover themselves in while trying to disinfect their life. I've never once given myself food poisoning from the dreaded E. coli and I use an old sponge and hot water to clean my benches. All those marketing campaigns do is feed on people's willingness to accept what BigPharma tell them and it's just one big lie after another.

Ain't that the truth?! My thoughts exactly!

this is all urban-legend from back about 3 generations ago most rural families made their own soap. and it was mostly unscientific...it cleaned real good but it took the bark off you!

Someone posted a 100 yr old recipe for soap somewhere on this forum and if you saw the ingredients it is no wonder people said it would take the bark off you!! If this is what they are comparing commercial soap to then it is no wonder they are sceptical.

I agree with you - once they have tried "your" soap - I am sure they would be agreeing with you! Its just getting them to try it....

Oh yeah ~ that running around behind your child with anti-bacterial this and anti-bacterial that is nuts! Let them be kids - let them eaet that pound of dirt every year, it is actually good for them, 2 lbs maybe not so much. I believe by trying to sterilize everything in the house including the toys because they've been played with just goes too far and doesn't allow people to develop natural defences.

OK one of my pet peeves as well..... :oops:

Latest posts

Back