The Aftermath of Painting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BattleGnome

Reaction score
I’ve got the rest of the week off and went to Michael’s to pick up supplies for Bob Ross and his son to teach me how to paint. I don’t have the correct colors, good brushes, or any idea of my technique (my grandmother used to be an artsy type and we used good supplies when we made art at her house, not that our results were good). My first painting turned out pretty well (my mommy likes the pic I sent) but I don’t know how I should be cleaning everything.

My quick google search tells me I need paint thinner, linseed oil, and bar soap. I’ve got my brushes in a cup of olive oil right now (first thing on hand). My question is: can I use sunflower oil to get out all the paint then finish up with the bar soap to get the oil out? I do have some mineral oil if I need it but my brushes are a plastic multipack from Walmart, if I have to toss them it’s not a big deal.

attached is my finished work: season 24 episode 9 - Icy Lake

Attachments

• 81F8B8EA-405B-4158-99F9-15A115FB96DD.jpeg
    81F8B8EA-405B-4158-99F9-15A115FB96DD.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 21
Cleaning depends on the type of paint you used. Paint thinners, if needed for oil paints, are very drying so after you’ve cleaned your brushes with it follow up with detergent or soap. They sell hand made castile at our art suppliers for $22 for a tiny bar just to clean brushes!
Acrylic paints and watercolours should wash out in detergent and water but read the label to be sure.

Back