that stinky neem oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never heard that neem seed oil is toxic. It is used for many skin conditions.
As a general statement that is not true. The oil should not be taken internally (as in eaten) though it is used for some internal uses.

Edit: I Mis read. I thought you said you have heard that neem seed oil IS toxic. My bad.

Last edited:
Yes, it is true. My statement was correctly qualified. I'm a biologist (genetics and micro) with a lifetime of experience doing medical research including making chemotherapeutics, so I deal with these issues on a weekly basis. For the most part, the rule of thumb is that chemicals that are toxic to one living thing are toxic across the board. Antibiotics (a class of chemotherapeutic defined by cellular toxicity) are a great example: they preferentially kill bacteria, but they are also toxic enough to humans that there are only a handful of them in the world, and many are relegated to topical use only due to high toxicity. Well over 99.9% of toxic chemicals out there are more toxic to humans than bacteria.

As a general statement that is not true. The oil should not be taken internally (as in eaten) though it is used for some internal uses.

I don't believe that I stated that neem seed oil was not toxic, just that I had never heard of it being toxic. I also never advocated that it be taken internally. So as a general statement what I said was true.:razz:

I don't believe that I stated that neem seed oil was not toxic, just that I had never heard of it being toxic. I also never advocated that it be taken internally. So as a general statement what I said was true.:razz:
After not being on the board for a few days, i went back and re read. I mis-read what you originally wrote lsg, and edited my comment.

Just for giggles.. the oil should not be taken orally but it is used internally for fertility control. There may be other internal uses, but it is generally ill advised to ingest it. The bark and leaf as goji mentined are taken internally and are considered a great pharmacy unto themselves in ayurveda. Neem is pretty amazing stuff. I just wish the oil didnt stink so bad :) Sorry for the confusion.

After not being on the board for a few days, i went back and re read. I mis-read what you originally wrote lsg, and edited my comment.

Just for giggles.. the oil should not be taken orally but it is used internally for fertility control. There may be other internal uses, but it is generally ill advised to ingest it. The bark and leaf as goji mentined are taken internally and are considered a great pharmacy unto themselves in ayurveda. Neem is pretty amazing stuff. I just wish the oil didnt stink so bad :) Sorry for the confusion.

Imagine deep fried foods in neem oil. :sick:

No problem. I don't think I could get it down either and I can't imagine the smell of deep frying with it. :crazy:

Latest posts

Back