That discomfort with change

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusti

Reaction score
Y'all, I am starting a new job on June 1st at a university across the river from home. I only started looking because we still don't have a state budget and I work for a state university and I lacked job security in a big way.

It's a shorter commute, a $10k a year raise (Like, whoa, I was beginning to think I would never be able to break this number around here) and was truly the best fit for the job even though I will have TONS to learn. There are almost no cons.

But I feel miserable for my current coworkers. I adore them all and would never otherwise be leaving if it weren't for our stupid state government. My position is likely to be swept and left unfilled and I will desperately miss them all because they are fantastic supportive people (and even though I will surely make new friends in the new office). I'm sure that they will understand, but there are bound to be tears on my part.

Obviously I need to hone coping skills.

First, congratulations on your new job. Change is hard, and leaving a comfortable situation for the unknown is harder still. You will miss your coworkers, and they will miss you. You are making this move for your own security (with budget restrictions, you are never really sure what could happen - or when). Your coworkers will understand that. They very well may have to pick up the slack when you leave if your position isn't filled. You likely feel bad about that, but it isn't anything you've done that will cause a redistribution of work. I've been on both sides of that.

You aren't moving out of the area. Those people that you want to keep in touch with, you will manage to see. It won't be the same as day-to-day. One of my best friends (of over 40 years) is someone I worked with for a couple of years at one of my first jobs. Our friendship has evolved over the years and I actually forget that I first met her through work. I am still in regular contact with about a half-dozen people I have met through various jobs I've had. It's funny how, when work is out of the equation, you can really see who you have a lot in common with and who you want to make the effort to stay connected to.

Good luck with your new adventure - I'm betting it will be great. And have fun spending at least some of the extra $$ on soapy stuff!

Congratulations! Change is difficult, I think the unknown is always scary. But as stated above, it's a wonderful opportunity for growth and new experiences. I've lived in a constant state of change for several years and now get excited about what the next several years will bring. Good luck in your new job, it sounds great.

Back