Thank You Auntie Clara (Lace Tops)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commoncenz

Reaction score
I was browsing the interwebs a few weeks ago when I came across a blog entry by Auntie Clara about how she made a lace embossing mold/mat to add a lace effect to the tops of her soap.

http://auntieclaras.com/2014/09/mexican-lace-and-how-i-made-a-silicone-texture-mat/

I didn't have the time (or lace) to try her method for making a homemade mold/mat. However, there are plenty of places where you can order fondant lace embossing mats to achieve a similar effect. I ordered one and cut it down into three sections that each fit into my 4 lb loaf mold. While my lace mats don't have the delicate pattern Auntie Clara achieved by making her own mold/mat, I'm pretty happy with the result. I think however, that I will now give her method a try.

Lilac 1.jpg

lilac 2.jpg

lilac 3.jpg

Before I read that trick, I just put the mat in a mold and used it to make a pretty top :).

Love the color choice on yours!

Thank you all ... but I was just following in the footsteps of a pretty good innovator. I'm glad that she and others like her (some of whom are on this forum) are so willing to share ideas and techniques.

Those look amazing! Where do you order your fondant mats from? Any bakery supplier?

They were pretty expensive at the bakery supply sites on the internet. So I ordered mine from aliexpress.com. If you can stand the approximately 4 week wait, the price difference is worth it. You also have to be careful to make sure that you are ordering a mat that is large enough to either fit your mold or to be cut down to fit your mold. Some of the ones that they have on aliexpress and ebay are actually pretty small.

Awesome! I would never try this (read: impatient)..

Oh, I have the patience of a 6 yr old on Christmas morning. lol However, I took steps to curb that. What I did was to add a few extra grams to the recipe that I was working with one night. I ran the new numbers through soapcalc to make sure that I had the proper amount of lye, etc.

After my batter reached emulsion, I set aside the extra portion of batter and proceeded to make the soap I was going to do that night. Then, I colored the batter that I had set aside, whisked until medium trace and used a spatula to get the batter into the fondant mats, which I had previously set on a piece of freezer paper.

After all the mats were filled, I set them in a cleared out portion of a cabinet where I can retrieve them as needed. So, the only extra patience I've had to show is taking the time to set aside the extra batter and fill the mats when I'm already making soap.

They were pretty expensive at the bakery supply sites on the internet. So I ordered mine from aliexpress.com. If you can stand the approximately 4 week wait, the price difference is worth it. You also have to be careful to make sure that you are ordering a mat that is large enough to either fit your mold or to be cut down to fit your mold. Some of the ones that they have on aliexpress and ebay are actually pretty small.

That's what I've seen too, the really small ones.

My mold is 14" long by 3.5" wide. Unfortunately the suppliers on aliexpress all identify their products by mm or cm only. So, you have to convert to inches. Here are links to some of the ones I'm looking at ordering after all the X-Mas madness is done and I have a little more money.

Also, I'd figure that you could order a few of the smaller (and cheaper) ones and lay them end to end in your loaf mold with minimal cutting and/or problems.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Suga..._78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_9

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/40cm..._78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_9

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free..._78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_9

Good idea and TY! :)

Latest posts

Back