Thai Coconut Soup

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As requested, here is the recipe my son used for the modified (for our area) version of Thai Coconut Soup:

1 teaspoon Olive Oil
handful of chopped green onions
fresh garlic
1 can of Coconut Milk
Equal amount of broth of your choice (veggie broth or other)

In a saucepan heat, the oil and sauté the onion and a little garlic. After 2 minutes, add Coconut milk from the can and use the empty can to measure out the broth and add that to the pan as well. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Add a bit of lemon and serve.

Optional:

Roux to thicken the soup (cornstarch mixed with water or if desired roux made with butter)

A small amount of vegetables that can be added to the soup: mushrooms, grated carrot, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, slivers of lemon grass, even curry paste or chili paste, even fresh slivers of red chilis. Garnishes like cilantro leaves should be added only right before serving. A bit of freshly grated ginger if desired.

My son made this in our restaurant and it was very popular, but of course in much larger quantities and the milder simpler version without a lot of spice because locally certain flavors are not as well received. The simple non-spicy version was very well received here.

I love water chestnuts and bamboo shoots and slivers of lemon grass, but lemon grass is hard to come by around here. There is only one store I have found around here that sells it, and I need to get back there tomorrow to get some since we are going to the Cities to see a movie. It might be a little out of the way, but well worth it for lemon grass.

Edit: You can add meat if you want, but I am not a meat eater so rarely think of that.
Also a bottle of clam juice could be used instead of broth. When I was not vegetarian, it lent a very nice flavor to soups.

Thank you for that recipe. Sounds yummy. I might add some galangal to that as well....have some in the freezer. Have you tried growing your own lemongrass from store-bought ones? I have a few stalks sitting in a bit of water on my kitchen window sill waiting to sprout some roots before planting them in soil.

I did grow lemongrass for awhile. It was a fun story. I was on what turned out to be a 3-month long roadtrip, which started out as a short trip to visit some friends in New Mexico, and one thing lead to another. On a whim I decided that since I was so close to California, I'd go visit my family. And since California was so close to Washington, I'd go visit family there, too. And then of course on my way back I may as well go back down South and on to Texas to visit more family. Well on the way East I got a call that my Dad had a stroke, so I turned around and went back to California to do what I could and be with him, etc. Dad died, we had a funeral, I stayed in California a little longer helping deal with his things. Loaded lots of Dad's belongings into my car and drove around giving things to others in the family.

While delivering things to one of my brothers, my SIL gave me a lemongrass plant! Long convoluted story to get back to the lemongrass plant, right? She pulled it up by the root, potted it up for me and I traveled all across the country keeping that little lemongrass plant alive! I took it to the Grand Canyon with me, as my roadtrip ended up being a 'Farewell Tour' to my dad from that point on. I took it into hotel rooms every night with me to keep it from freezing (it was winter). I took it with me to Texas, to Louisiana, all the way to Florida, where I stayed at Hilton Head for the first time ever. I nurtured and fed that little guy for a month on my roadtrip before I returned home again.

Sadly, however, that little guy did not survive the Illinois winter. So I have not tried again. But I have thought about it. Sometimes grocery store lemon grass still has a root attached, and that's when I think of it. But I'd have to nurture it very carefully in the winter. I would not be able to grow it outdoors here.

Saffron, you don't even have to wait on them to sprout roots to stick them in a pot of soil! Lemongrass is ridiculously easy to grow :)
I found this out several years ago when I had an old dried out stalk from our local Asian store that I had forgot about after using the rest...I stuck it in a pot and watered it daily just to see what would happen. By summer, the lemongrass in the pot was huge, so I broke the roots apart and potted 2 more plants. The 'grass' dies in the winter, but the roots seem fine because they come back every spring with a vengeance!
From that one dead looking stalk, we have hardy lemongrass plants flanking both our front and back doors every spring and summer (it's great for repelling flies and mosquitoes), and all of our neighbors have lemongrass plants from our roots as well!!

Just saw your post Earlene, so I need to mention that I live in the deep South.
I can see where Lemongrass might not like Illinois temps :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I did grow lemongrass for awhile. It was a fun story. I was on what turned out to be a 3-month long roadtrip, which started out as a short trip to visit some friends in New Mexico, and one thing lead to another. On a whim I decided that since I was so close to California, I'd go visit my family. And since California was so close to Washington, I'd go visit family there, too. And then of course on my way back I may as well go back down South and on to Texas to visit more family. Well on the way East I got a call that my Dad had a stroke, so I turned around and went back to California to do what I could and be with him, etc. Dad died, we had a funeral, I stayed in California a little longer helping deal with his things. Loaded lots of Dad's belongings into my car and drove around giving things to others in the family.

While delivering things to one of my brothers, my SIL gave me a lemongrass plant! Long convoluted story to get back to the lemongrass plant, right? She pulled it up by the root, potted it up for me and I traveled all across the country keeping that little lemongrass plant alive! I took it to the Grand Canyon with me, as my roadtrip ended up being a 'Farewell Tour' to my dad from that point on. I took it into hotel rooms every night with me to keep it from freezing (it was winter). I took it with me to Texas, to Louisiana, all the way to Florida, where I stayed at Hilton Head for the first time ever. I nurtured and fed that little guy for a month on my roadtrip before I returned home again.

Sadly, however, that little guy did not survive the Illinois winter. So I have not tried again. But I have thought about it. Sometimes grocery store lemon grass still has a root attached, and that's when I think of it. But I'd have to nurture it very carefully in the winter. I would not be able to grow it outdoors here.

What a lovely story about visiting family and friends, thanks for sharing ..... sorry about your Dad though. It's the inevitable that we all have to go through. Been there, done that. x

Saffron, you don't even have to wait on them to sprout roots to stick them in a pot of soil! Lemongrass is ridiculously easy to grow :)
I found this out several years ago when I had an old dried out stalk from our local Asian store that I had forgot about after using the rest...I stuck it in a pot and watered it daily just to see what would happen. By summer, the lemongrass in the pot was huge, so I broke the roots apart and potted 2 more plants. The 'grass' dies in the winter, but the roots seem fine because they come back every spring with a vengeance!
From that one dead looking stalk, we have hardy lemongrass plants flanking both our front and back doors every spring and summer (it's great for repelling flies and mosquitoes), and all of our neighbors have lemongrass plants from our roots as well!!

Thanks Cerelife, I'll give it a go :) I'm also trying to grow some spring onions alongside the lemongrass. Will stick those in the ground too and hope for the best. I'm not the world's best gardener.... am the only one I know who manages to kill succulents (unintentionally of course)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the recipe, Earlene! My mouth has been watering ever since you mentioned it awhile back.

BG -- Aw, gee, fella, get your mind out of the soap pot! ;)

Yes, me, too! I went to the Oriental Market and bought a bunch (3) of lemongrass. I love going to this market. They have so many interesting things, often things I have never seen before. Besides the staples, some stock rotates, so always fun to explore. I also bought some jasmine tea, which is now steeping.

We have one those markets about 15 miles from where I live. I have had my eye on sesame oil.. , I used some I had and loved the results in soap. They have black, red and regular color sesame oils (or was it peanut).... not sure what the difference is.

I made my soup. It turned out so good. I did had to add some extra salt to mine. My husband, who is a rough neck, and usually does not like that type of food, actually enjoyed it. So is a winner!

20180201_201048_resized.jpg

Actually sesame seeds come in other colors than that white or light beige color one sees so much in the US and . Black sesame seeds are naturally black. There are yellow ones and brown ones, too. The black ones are a pretty tasty, IMO.

Some people claim black sesame seeds prevent black hair from turning grey.

Latest posts

Back