Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjenn

Reaction score
Hi everyone! New member here :)
So I’ve been making soaps with melt and pour. Specifically goats milk melt and pour from Stephenson. The base is great to work with and provides a creamy lather but when rinsed off, leaves a stickiness. When my hands are completely dry, that feeling is gone although it does dry my hands a bit.
I have read that this is probably a soap scum and hard water issue and Tetra EDTA helps counteract this. Can I add a pinch of this to my melt and pour? The current base has less than .01 according to the specifications.
Does anyone else experience this with this brand? Or any melt and pours? I did try adding more glycerin, castor oil and goats milk as additives. Though that only changed the lather a bit and not the “stickiness”.
Also, side note, any tips for the dryness? Or are the additives above my best bet.
Thanks in advance everyone!

Hi everyone! New member here :)
So I’ve been making soaps with melt and pour. Specifically goats milk melt and pour from Stephenson. The base is great to work with and provides a creamy lather but when rinsed off, leaves a stickiness. When my hands are completely dry, that feeling is gone although it does dry my hands a bit.
I have read that this is probably a soap scum and hard water issue and Tetra EDTA helps counteract this. Can I add a pinch of this to my melt and pour? The current base has less than .01 according to the specifications.
Does anyone else experience this with this brand? Or any melt and pours? I did try adding more glycerin, castor oil and goats milk as additives. Though that only changed the lather a bit and not the “stickiness”.
Also, side note, any tips for the dryness? Or are the additives above my best bet.
Thanks in advance everyone!

EDIT:
Editing to fix the typo. Specification says less than .10 EDTA :)

A main advantage of a synthetic detergent is that they don't become inactive in the presence of magnesium and calcium (e.g. in hard water), so I don't really think this may be the cause. What's your entire formulation in % w/w? You might need more emollient, it could even be that there's insufficient water for the surfactant to solubilize in.

This was a problem I used when I was working with sodium cocoyl isethionate at very low water levels (approx. 50% surfactant blend, q.s with water following the other ancillary ingredients etc).

Some M&P is soap based. Other formulations are syndet based. The OP doesn't say which type they have.

M&P is not made to add in additives, so you might be better trying another base. Essentials by Catalina have many different bases and you can purchase sample sizes. EB brand bases are made in house by Essentials by Catalina.

goats milk melt and pour from Stephenson

https://www.eroma.com.au/stephenson-goats-milk-melt-and-pour-soap-base/
Ingredients: Aqua, Glycerine, Sodium Stearate, Sorbitol, Sodium Laurate, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Goats Milk, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Stearic Acid, Lauric Acid, Titanium Dioxide, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

this melt and pour is a combination of soap, solvents and synthetic detergents
the two chelators used are EDTA and Pentasodium Pentetate

soap with large amounts of added glycerin will feel tacky to use
propylene glycol might also add to the sticky feeling

I agree with cmzaha
a different soap base might suit you better

Back