Testing my fragrance oils for discoloration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ladka

Reaction score
I am in possession of ten fragrance oils that I've been buying here and there. I noticed that some of them discoloured the batter badly but never managed to take notes properly so that I could know exactly which ones do it.

Yesterday I decided to test most of them and so I did. Results: the worst is ambergris (if I found the correct translation for Slovenian "ambra"). Lavender, patchouli and sandalwood fragrance oils show medium discolouration. Antique rose and geranium produce only slight discolouration. I can't say for lemongrass FO. I have an additional FO of orange colour and with no label whatsoever. It produced darker orange.

I expect discolorations to develop further and will try to follow up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will take one or two this afternoon and post them.
P.S. Don't know how I created the white space in the post. I did not try to post a picture.

I am in possession of ten fragrance oils that I've been buying here and there. I noticed that some of them discoloured the batter badly but never managed to take notes properly so that I could know exactly which ones do it.

Yesterday I decided to test most of them and so I did. Results: the worst is ambergris (if I found the correct translation for Slovenian "ambra"). Lavender, patchouli and sandalwood fragrance oils show medium discolouration. Antique rose and geranium produce only slight discolouration. I can't say for lemongrass FO. I have an additional FO of orange colour and with no label whatsoever. It produced darker orange.

I expect discolorations to develop further and will try to follow up.
If you look up the fragrances on the supplier's page it should list the vanilla content. It is usually the vanilla that discolors. Also, the supplier will usually list if a fragrance discolors.

I took photos of soaps I made one week ago.

mila-obarvana-s-fo-ostev.jpg

mila-obarvana-s-fo-20190.jpg

1 - lavender
2 - antique rose
3 - amber
4 - patchouli
5 - sandalwood
6 - lemongrass
7 - geranium

I used 3-4 drops of each FO in each cake and swirled them a bit into the batter.

The discolouration did not change from the first day. As I wrote in my initial post the worst is amber, getting really brown (it is no. 3 in the picture). Lavender, patchouli and sandalwood fragrance oils show medium discolouration. Antique rose and geranium produce only slight discolouration.

Additionally, patchouli somehow sank into soap and developed a yellowish-orangeish colour. To show it I took the lower picture at a different angle. Amber also sank a little. Other FO's showed no such tendency and mixed readily into batter.

What is your other soapers' experience with these FO's?

In fact I don't expect anybody do share their experience with the FO's I used. I can hardly expect anybody else uses the products of my local provider. What I'd appreciate to know is which scents of those I tested are safe to use without fear of significantly discolouring the batter, and from which producer/supplier.

I can't help you too much because I rarely use a single note FO. I usually read the suppliers' notes and for the most part avoid those that have significant discoloration. With that in mind, I can say I've not experienced a color change with lavender or sandalwood. Patchouli will discolor from ivory to medium tan/brown depending on the blend, or in some cases not at all. I don't have a lot of experience with amber, rose or geranium as I don't care much for any of them. The few times I have used an FO with those in them, none stand out as causing much discoloration. But again, they are blends and not single note FOs. Typically when I want a single note I will use EO.

Back