Testing a fragrance - A newbie question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristianna

Reaction score
Hi soapmakers.

I am still trying to find good suppliers for soap making things in this massive city. (New Delhi) I really envy people in the US who can order from a plethora of places online! Anyhow, I found one shop, a tiny one that advertized that they had soap supplies. The owner of the shop swore up and down that his fragrances were great and the customers all love them etc. but I felt really doubtful as he knew little about actually making soap himself. I think he mainly sells to people who do melt and pour and not other methods. I walked out of the shop with the smallest bottle I could buy of ylang ylang fragrance which they had decanted for me from a doubious looking un-labled large bottle. It did smell lovely.

Got home and made a small 460gram (about1lb) batch of soap. I decided to mix the fragrance into the oils before adding the lye in hopes that maybe I wouldn't shock it too much.. if that even makes sense. I also opted to hand whisk. I added the lye and stired.. it actually looked good for about 5 seconds. I could see it accellerated almost right away so I quickly pour it into the mold as soon as I stoped pouring to scrape the sides it riced. It riced badly. I glopped the rest of the top and hoped for the best. It's been 24 hours now and the 'soap' is firm but I noticed a few drops of fragrance oil of the surface I have not cut it yet. What do you think? Obviously this fragrance is not a winner for cp soap but is the 'soap' going to be useable or is it best to toss it out? Should I wait and see? Let it cure first?

Have you zap tested the oil on top? If there is no zap then it's probably fragrance. A zap means it's probably lye. In my opinion you should be fine to cut/cure like normal, whether or not there is a zap.

Regarding Ricing (and other problems that can come up when making soap), take a look at this: https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/tips-and-tricks/soap-behaving-badly/

As far as can you use the soap, have you zap tested it? Have you cut into it yet? If you find any lye pockets when you cut into it, then I would suggest rebatching if you don't want to waste materials. After cure and it remains zap-free it should be fine to use.

I have had soap rice on me twice and the first time was using a blend of EO's & FO's that gave me fair warning (spice & citrus blend). I actually re-batched that soap twice because the fragrance was so strong I couldn't tolerate it even after the first re-batch. It also sweated out fragrance like you mentioned. But the fragrance did re-absorb into the soap when I let it sit for a long time. I should have just wiped some of that fragrance off because I really hated it, but I let it sit to see what would happen. That particular soap never zapped, so it wasn't lye heavy, but I really did not like the fragrance.

My other experience with ricing, happened after the unfragranced batter was already separated and colored and in the squirt bottles for a flower design on top of soap. I shook and shook to try and get the ricing to smooth out, but it didn't seem to help with one or two of the colors. I just let that soap cure. The ricing effect does show up as you can see in the photos here but I am letting that soap cure and plan to attempt the design again, hopefully without ricing!

I am sure others with more experience with how to choose a fragrance given your limited access. But to avoid accelerating avoid spicy fragrances and flowery fragrances. Lemongrass Essential Oil has never caused me any problems with acceleration. Neither has Lavender EO, even though it is 'flowery'.

Welcome to the forum. I would wait it out. As others have said, if it does not zap then it's probably fragrance oil; if so, the fragrance oil will probably reabsorb into the soap.

Don't be too quick to discount all of the shop's fragrances. Floral fragrances are notorious for acceleration, ricing, and seizing. It may be that you just happened to pick a fragrance oil that was badly behaved.

I would try a few other small samples of fragrance oil from that supplier in the same recipe, and see how they work. Perhaps try a citrus fragrance, they tend to be pretty well behaved in cold-process soap, although citrus scents do tend to fade with time. At least that way you can get a better idea of that supplier's fragrances over all.

I think your soap looks great! Very cheerful and fun!

I have not tested the soap yet as I want to wait another day before cutting it. Will try the zap test tomorrow. I have used EO in the past with no problems so I might end up having to just use those and wait till next summer when I hope to visit the US for for FO.

Thanks.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I am going to wait another day before cutting it and I'll test it at that time. I'll let you know what happens!

For what it's worth, I've had ylang ylang and rose/Egyptian geranium EOs accelerate. Cinnamon and clove will also speed things up. The others I've used have been well behaved.

I think your soap looks great! Very cheerful and fun!

I have not tested the soap yet as I want to wait another day before cutting it. Will try the zap test tomorrow. I have used EO in the past with no problems so I might end up having to just use those and wait till next summer when I hope to visit the US for for FO.

Thanks.

Kristianna, be careful trying to bring fragrance oils or essential oils in your luggage. Some are not allowed on airplanes. It's all about the flashpoint at which they can become combustible. You may want to read up on that and also check the rules of the airline you travel as well as for the governments through which you travel.

This is for the US, so quite pertinent when you depart the US via air travel:
https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=22

I cut the soap today and to my surprise it actually looks alright. The drops of oil seem to have re-absorbed for the most part. What do you think?

img_12041-1651.jpg

img_12051-1652.jpg

Latest posts

Back